It's a good rule, I'm glad I got my C4 BBMF before it came into effect :D
kardnal
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2
LE-foura: yes

Re: New sales-corner rule

Post by kardnal »

I agree with a lot of the above posters. The new rule is annoying, especially for those of us who don't post that often, but at the end of the day I can't say it's an onerous limit, or one done in poor faith.
Tomsolo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Tomsolo »

Well if nothing else... its attracted a lot more members opinions to the forum... and thats surely a positive all on its own? :thumbup:

Just think of all the extra input and voting come time for the next Forum LE.. 8O
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

Tomsolo wrote:Well if nothing else... its attracted a lot more members opinions to the forum... and thats surely a positive all on its own? :thumbup:

Very true...haven't seen so many new names posting for ages :D
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
leelee
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by leelee »

With this post that puts me at 30 .....so can I see the sales corner?

Yes I can
amleto
Senior
Senior

Post by amleto »

I think 30 is very reasonable. Think it just got bumped from 250 to 1000 on another forum I frequent.
Halios Tropik SS, C60 GMT SKKO, Magrette Regattare 2011 sold, Casio Edifice, Seiko x2
Incoming: fle'13?
tassmar

Post by tassmar »

What are the key features that make people join the forum? are you happy that by cutting-off the sales corner to newbies it will not stop people from joining?

What I am thinking here is that if the sales corner is perceived to be a key feature to new visitors, then there is a risk these people will not stay on to become members.

Looking back at the reasons I joined the forum, the sales corner was a key feature to me (for buying, not selling..). If I had been totally prevented from accessing the sales corner, then it is very likely i would have not signed up to the forum at all. (but it could be I am in the minority, in which case the new policy would make sense..)

Is there a way to prevent newbies with < 30 posts selling watches, but allowing them to watch and buy?
PaulW42
Junior
Junior

Post by PaulW42 »

18 :D :D :D
IanK
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by IanK »

I see access to sales corner even just to view has now been disabled unless you log in so what was being discussed as access only to view for low posters or visitors is no longer possible.

I didn't join the forum for the sales corner but once I'd joined I realised it was a nice feature of the forum and have purchased (but not sold) through it. Many sales made here are to new members so preventing those with <30 posts from at least looking may well disadvantage any members wanting to sell by seriously reducing the potential audience.

Nobody has yet answered my question as to what problems there have been with newer people selling here. I fully accept it's not MY forum and if I want to be here I must abide by the rules as must all others but isn't it reasonable to ask the question? One person I dealt with was given a very hard time for a sale being his first post but he was a retired man looking to sell a CW to go towards a newer CW while recovering from a cancer operation. He didn't have a digi camera and what scorn that received. He didn't use paypal - goodness me what a pariah! So we chatted, he sent me the watch so I could check I was happy with it, then I sent payment direct to his bank. Maybe he's not so silly refusing to use paypal because a friend of mine had their account hacked into and a payment debited (but this was refunded by paypal).

I'm not looking for vitriolic responses :problem: to my view which appears to have some support but hope one of the "team" will take the time to explain and maybe even reconsider at least to enable less chatty participants to look for a purchase. 30+ to sell is not a problem that needs any explanation.
CWL C5 Aviator
Breitling Aerospace
Bremont Alt1-C
Bremont Alt1-ZT/51
Omega Aqua Terra
d76
CW-watches: 3

Post by d76 »

IanK wrote:I bought a C8 recently from a member who has only made 7 posts. He was a delight to deal with but simply hadn't posted a lot.
And it was a pleasure to deal with you too :thumbup: I'm not an active member of this community but own a number of CW watches which I love. The reason I chose to use sales corner is because I wanted genuine CW enthusiasts to have access to the watch I was selling. I wanted it to be appreciated. I browse the forum from time to time and can see that there are some fantastic people on here with a genuine love for CW watches. As the rules stand I won't be able to do this again if I choose not to post on here regularly. I understand the rule but think it's a shame. There may be quite a few more people like me out there..
Tooks
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Tooks »

IanK, get a grip for goodness sake! :lol:

It has been explained quite clearly already by Hans and Kip.

Yes, Sales Corner is a nice feature, but not the reason why the CW forum exists. In fact, I'm surprised that a brand specific third party forum even allows a competitor sales area to CWL itself. A lot of others don't.

This might sound harsh, but I can't help but feel that if some of the people getting exercised about this very small but largely welcome change to the rules redirected their outrage towards taking part in the forum, then the forum would be all the better for it.

It's just 30 posts remember, it's not a lot, and will give everybody a look at your posts and posting style to decide if they would deal with you....
Ideal number of watches in your collection = current number of watches + 1...
PaulW42
Junior
Junior

Post by PaulW42 »

Me? - I'm not outraged merely irritated. There is a big difference.

Watches are not my main interest (I know - wash my mouth out :) ) but I am interested enough to be a member of the forum and make the occasional post. I find it all very informative but I am never going to have the thousands of posts that I have on another unrelated forum.

One of the pleasures is to call in occasionally, drift around, have a look at the topics of the moment, what's being bought and sold, etc. It comes as a surprise to suddenly be blocked from viewing an area you have regularly accessed previously. (Not being able to post until there is some sort of track record makes a lot of sense)

15. :D :D :D (and yes the previous post was wrong :oops: )
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

These are my thoughts on this issue:

1. I can understand the rule about not being able to post in the SC and offer watches for sale until a sufficient no. of posts have been made. It is really a way for the forum members to get a feel of who you are.

2. 30 posts is really not a large number, and it's not really that difficult to hit

3. it is however a shame that members with fewer than 30 posts can apparently (I'm not sure about this) no longer view the SC, even if they are not logged in. That seems unfortunate if true.

As someone who is very cautious about buying pre-owned items from people I don't actually know but who are fellow forum members, I have to say that the seller's forum track record is important to me. So I do check on the previous posts of the seller as well as any feedback posted about the latter.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15
Nomos Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

As a many-time user of the sales corner, both buying and selling, I have to say I appreciate the new rule, and the fact that it applies to people who want to buy as well as those who want to sell.

When selling a watch, I am far happier to sell to someone I have some knowledge of.

Of course, in theory, I just take their money before I send them the watch, so why should I care what they are like?

The answer is; I want a hassle-free sale. I want to sell to someone who is unlikely to make false claims about not receiving the watch, or who is unlikely to claim there is damage where there is not.

Of course 30 posts is no guarantee, but it is better than nothing. :)
Richard
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Kip wrote:This new policy has been put in place after much discussion by the "Team". It is something that has been ongoing for about a year now. We do realize that not everyone will be happy with the new rule, but we do believe it is for the greater good of all.

It has really been put in place as a matter of minimizing exposure to scammers and predators who have an increasing prescence as we have grown. Since the installation of the preapproval policy for Newbies we have been able to prevent most from even getting onto the forum, but we cannot prevent them all.

In order to buy/sell it takes a lot of trust, especially on the internet. Although minimum post requirements are certainly no guarantee that you would still not have an issue, we do believe, based on the posting records of members, that thirty posts should be sufficient to get to know a bit about someone. If we find that this is not sufficient than it will addressed again.

The problems/complaints have been minimal, but enough to warrant this new rule. It is the goal of The "Team" to provide an atmosphere of trust to the members as well as can be expected. The CW forum accepts no responsibility for transactions between individuals but does wish to assist those buyers and sellers who are looking.

As always it is buyer/seller beware.
Hans wrote:Dear forum-members,

Starting today, the Sales-corner part of the forum can only be used by forum-members who have posted more than 30 messages. We have taken this measure to make it as difficult as possible for scammers to mis-use the forum, but we realize it's not a perfect way to prevent this. As always: be careful when buying on the internet, buy the seller, not the watch.

Hans
A reminder as to why.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.