So log out then you can view the sales section :thumbup:
:thumbup: Doh!
FieryTowse
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Re: New sales-corner rule

Post by FieryTowse »

If this is what's deemed necessary to prevent abuse of the forum then so be it, I'll accept it. I do think it's been somewhat heavy handed and like PaulW42, it hacked me off too having been a member and CW owner since 2008. However, what's done is done, I'm not taking it as a personal sleight nor am I going to throw a strop over it and storm off elsewhere.

I will point out that I watched the debate unfold last night on Tapatalk which inexplicably wouldn't let me post to the topic but would let me post in Sales Corner despite the fact that I'm still a few posts short of the requirement. That kind of makes a mockery of the whole thing as far as I'm concerned. Controls are only effective if they work.
C3SKK/SKS
C11 KVKT
Omega Geneve Dynamic 135.0033 manual wind
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 231.10.42.21.02.003
Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial 233.30.41.21.01.001
Steinhart Ocean Two
Rolex GMT-Master II 126710BLNR
PaulW42
Junior
Junior

Post by PaulW42 »

On reflection (and at this rate I am going to get up to 30 posts quite soon), I think what rankles is that it has been done purely on a post count basis and no account has been taken of "length of service". A low post count does not necessarily mean a "johnny come lately".
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

IanK wrote: And in response to Village my assertion that about 90% of forum members having less than 30 posts is just pointing out a fact, not trying to prove anything. Other than maybe the forum exists for everyone with an interest in CW not just the 350 members who like to chat.

And Ebay exists for everyone who just wants to join and sell something. :wink:
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
IanK
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by IanK »

Village, why does a member with fewer than 30 posts being interested in seeing what's for sale mean this is his or her only interest? A huge number of members enjoy the forum without being regular posters - it doesn't make them bad people!!
CWL C5 Aviator
Breitling Aerospace
Bremont Alt1-C
Bremont Alt1-ZT/51
Omega Aqua Terra
Leem
Senior
Senior

Post by Leem »

This is out of order :thumbdown:
Lee
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

IanK wrote:Village, why does a member with fewer than 30 posts being interested in seeing what's for sale mean this is his or her only interest? A huge number of members enjoy the forum without being regular posters - it doesn't make them bad people!!

It doesn't....and i never said it did. The whole point of this 30 post limit has been explained by Kip
Kip wrote:This new policy has been put in place after much discussion by the "Team". It is something that has been ongoing for about a year now. We do realize that not everyone will be happy with the new rule, but we do believe it is for the greater good of all.

It has really been put in place as a matter of minimizing exposure to scammers and predators who have an increasing prescence as we have grown. Since the installation of the preapproval policy for Newbies we have been able to prevent most from even getting onto the forum, but we cannot prevent them all.

In order to buy/sell it takes a lot of trust, especially on the internet. Although minimum post requirements are certainly no guarantee that you would still not have an issue, we do believe, based on the posting records of members, that thirty posts should be sufficient to get to know a bit about someone. If we find that this is not sufficient than it will addressed again.

The problems/complaints have been minimal, but enough to warrant this new rule. It is the goal of The "Team" to provide an atmosphere of trust to the members as well as can be expected. The CW forum accepts no responsibility for transactions between individuals but does wish to assist those buyers and sellers who are looking.

As always it is buyer/seller beware.
...and Hans
Hans wrote:Dear forum-members,

Starting today, the Sales-corner part of the forum can only be used by forum-members who have posted more than 30 messages. We have taken this measure to make it as difficult as possible for scammers to mis-use the forum, but we realize it's not a perfect way to prevent this. As always: be careful when buying on the internet, buy the seller, not the watch.

Hans
If you (generic as opposed specific) can't be arsed to read then so be it. It's very clear.
Members who like to lurk rather than post can still continue to enjoy the forum - if they really,really want to see what's on the SC then do it logged out.Not difficult. If access to the SC to those of sub 30 posts is that vital and that much of a reason to come here that instigating a rule saying they have to make 30 posts (which is a piffling amount) sends them to the pitchfork cupboard,then,quite frankly,they are no great loss.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Phil0886
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Phil0886 »

As Village says, the bottom line is that the limit doesn't stop those with a post count below 30 from viewing a sales post or buying, they just need to do it logged out then PM the seller once they've logged in. It might mean that those with a post count below 30 who wish to sell do so via E-Bay rather than get their post count up to sell through the forum but I suspect a number of members do this anyway as they may feel they get a better price. Seems like a lot of fuss over not much... :yawn:
CW: C60 FLE Blue #009
Non-CW: Panerai PAM 312, Grand Seiko SBGM027, Omega AT, Omega PO, Heuer Monza, Nomos Zurich Blaugold, Monta Oceanking gen 1, Maurice Lacroix Pontos S, Steinhart Ocean 39 Green, Evant Tropic 39, San Martin 62MAS
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

Same amount of fuss when TZ-UK put up their limit from 50 to 250 posts for SC access.

As well as seeing the SC when logged out you can also access it via TapaTalk on iPhone or Android. It seems that TapaTalk manages to bypass post rules on all forums. But if you post within one it will be noticed and that is a mental black mark against you as a seller or buyer. In TZ-UK you have a "software glitch" that causes you to lose your post count or even your access totally. Similar glitch happens to people who speed post.

I don't think forum software can restrict access via length of time joined but only on number of posts.

To be quite honest there are not that many sales on this forum although there has been a splurge recently (including mine :D ) as people have slimmed down collections. But these are mainly other brands. The best place to buy CWLs is still the main CWL web site and eBay.

When I joined TZ-UK the no was 50 and so I just posted every now and then until I got there. No big hardship. There are off topic areas in both forums where members can participate without having to know about watches. So there goes that excuse. :D

It is sad when the admins have to put this restriction in but for real members 30 is very achievable as IanK has shown. :problem: Remember it is Hans forum and not yours. He sets the rules and if you really don't like them then leave. Personally I find this forum the nicest to participate in and TZ-UK the best for Sales Corner. :wink:
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

That sums it up nicely Ian.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
PaulW42
Junior
Junior

Post by PaulW42 »

Understand reasons.

Still hacked off.

No intention of flouncing (bad luck).

Being able to see it logged out (how bizarre is that) helps.

17 to go.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Is it annoying? Maybe a bit, but since you can log out and see the SC posts, I don't think it should be a big deal. 30 posts is not a lot if you are an actual member, and not a troll signing up just to sell questionable watches. It could be worse. TZ-UK doesn't even allow you to view the SC unless you are a member, and signing up is a mythical, near-impossible process. After you sign up, you may lose your post count, or have your login vanish for no apparent reason. The admin there will refuse to answer email queries as to why your login was removed before you had a chance to make your first post.

We have it good here. The rules are not overly harsh, and the admins are a friendly sort who are eager to help. Enjoy!
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
downer

Post by downer »

Lavaine wrote:
We have it good here. The rules are not overly harsh, and the admins are a friendly sort who are eager to help. Enjoy!
Exactly right. :)
Richard
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Lavaine wrote:...... and the admins are a friendly sort who are eager to help. Enjoy!
...even this is wearing thin...watch out for the Celtic rage! :lol:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.