LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: New sales-corner rule

Post by Kip »

bidoffer wrote:30 posts to stop a criminal? Are you mad? It's completely irrelevant.

As a new member who is very keen to chat, but moreover to purchase a watch, I find it very frustrating to have to post 30 times before my money is considered good enough.

I am effectively insentivised to post cra#p/pointless messages in order to meet the quota. Meanwhile, there's every chance that watches on your sales corner trade below fair price because I am denied access.

It's your forum, not mine. And I respect your right to set your own rules. But I suspect you are as likely to deter as many frustrated potential customers/contributors with the 30 post rule, as you are thieving gypo cheats.

Respectful regards,
Ben
The reasons for the rule are well discussed above and the complaints have been minimal. Your opinion is noted.

I will say that the rule seems to have done its job without affecting sales. Perhaps if you stick around and take advantage of the Sales Corner" some day, you will feel differently knowing you are part of a community and will have, perhaps, more faith in selling and or buying from a member here.

I will also state that you will not make many friends or gain much trust over your first 30 posts with a rant like this over a forum rule that was instituted to provide a layer of protection for those who choose to use the Sales Corner".

...and yes....I have been called a lot of things....including mad. :)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by akirk »

bidoffer wrote:30 posts to stop a criminal? Are you mad? It's completely irrelevant.

As a new member who is very keen to chat, but moreover to purchase a watch, I find it very frustrating to have to post 30 times before my money is considered good enough.

I am effectively insentivised to post cra#p/pointless messages in order to meet the quota. Meanwhile, there's every chance that watches on your sales corner trade below fair price because I am denied access.

It's your forum, not mine. And I respect your right to set your own rules. But I suspect you are as likely to deter as many frustrated potential customers/contributors with the 30 post rule, as you are thieving gypo cheats.

Respectful regards,
Ben
lets be honest, it doesn't tend to be the main stopping point for criminals :) it is (as said so many times above) about being a community... as a member here I have bought and sold multi-thousands of pounds worth of watches on there, I do so with a fairly good idea of whom I am dealing with - it gives me a certain amount of confidence... to be honest, it wouldn't bother me if the sales corner was opened to those with less than 30 posts, I wouldn't sell to them / buy from them anyway :D In fact I would normally look for a level of knowledge of the forum member which would come from more than 30 posts...

I think that you are as likely though to upset people / set a tone for your approach to transactions by:
- talking about 'your forum' (it is not, technically it belongs to CWL - in practice it is our forum - including all members)
- telling us that we are likely to sell below fair price (in reality sales corner sells at about the same as ebay, maybe less the fees) besides with publically available tracked prices of second-hand sales, we all know likely value...
- telling folks that they are mad - they might be, but it is not polite to mention it :D

you are not denied access, it is available to all who are regular members of the forum - once you have 30 posts it magically becomes available at which point you will realise (as said so often above) that it is a fuss about nothing, there are not very many sales there!

you might wish though to consider whether any forum member will wish to sell to you / buy from you if the above is an indication of your approach!
I'm happy to give an opinion if asked. What more do you want?
Perhaps some understanding of how communities work?!

Alasdair
Tracking Christopher Ward watch prices on ebay globally at Watchroll
Tracking Bremont watch prices on ebay globally at Watchtrace
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

keep in mind, when you join a forum in attack mode, you shouldn't be surprised if their response isn't all sunshine and roses. it doesn't exactly make people think, "now *this* is a guy i want to buy/sell watches with!"
the "g" is for Greg...
bidoffer

Post by bidoffer »

Clearly I have upset people who, rightly, value their membership of this community. For that, I apologise.

It was not my intention to cause offense. I was simply venting frustration at being denied access to a marketplace on the perceived basis of inexperience.

I am ubrupt and to the point. That is me, and I understand that it's not to everyone's' liking.

I am also honest, proud and trustworthy. The motto in the industry I worked in before retirement was 'Dictum meum pactum.' My word is my bond.

That meant, and still means, everything to me.

Regards,
Ben
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by akirk »

bidoffer wrote:Clearly I have upset people who, rightly, value their membership of this community. For that, I apologise.

It was not my intention to cause offense. I was simply venting frustration at being denied access to a marketplace on the perceived basis of inexperience.

I am ubrupt and to the point. That is me, and I understand that it's not to everyone's' liking.

I am also honest, proud and trustworthy. The motto in the industry I worked in before retirement was 'Dictum meum pactum.' My word is my bond.

That meant, and still means, everything to me.

Regards,
Ben
fair points :)
I just wouldn't get too excited by the sales corner - it is rare to find something amazing there - more bargains at the CWL bi-annual sales!

Alasdair
bidoffer

Post by bidoffer »

Thanks Alasdair. Hope I didn't burn too many bridges tonight. Make your bed, lie in it, right?

Thanks for feedback on Monte Carlo/Speedhawk. End of the day, they're both gorgeous. And if a Bremont/Omega/Oris sales rep walked up and said '£3,000 RRP' I don't think I'd quibble.

Therefore, pin ears back and buy is only solution.

What a pleb I am.

Thanks again sir,
Ben
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by akirk »

bidoffer wrote:Thanks Alasdair. Hope I didn't burn too many bridges tonight. Make your bed, lie in it, right?

Thanks for feedback on Monte Carlo/Speedhawk. End of the day, they're both gorgeous. And if a Bremont/Omega/Oris sales rep walked up and said '£3,000 RRP' I don't think I'd quibble.

Therefore, pin ears back and buy is only solution.

What a pleb I am.

Thanks again sir,
Ben
:D the ability to step down, apologise and restart is a pretty big thing to do - so no, I suspect bridges saved ;) don't worry about it - just get stuck in, it is a great forum with a lot to learn about all sorts of things watch related...

I am not a huge fan of the C4 / C40 range, I sold my C4 as the look doesn't work for me - but they are still pretty amazing watches and if you like those, just wait until you see the C9 / C900 watches :)

Alasdair
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

The 30 post rule is as much for the other members as for you. If I've got a watch for sale here do you think I'm desperate to sell? I'm going to buy the buyer as much as the watch, so if you speed-post toSC access, and then send me a 'gimme, gimme' PM , then I'll simply ignore it.
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

rcherryuk wrote:The 30 post rule is as much for the other members as for you. If I've got a watch for sale here do you think I'm desperate to sell? I'm going to buy the buyer as much as the watch, so if you speed-post toSC access, and then send me a 'gimme, gimme' PM , then I'll simply ignore it.
True.....but quite frankly,if someone pays me by bank transfer I don't care who they are 8)
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Robin CB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robin CB »

village wrote:
rcherryuk wrote:The 30 post rule is as much for the other members as for you. If I've got a watch for sale here do you think I'm desperate to sell? I'm going to buy the buyer as much as the watch, so if you speed-post toSC access, and then send me a 'gimme, gimme' PM , then I'll simply ignore it.
True.....but quite frankly,if someone pays me by bank transfer I don't care who they are 8)
If they pay me ... AND I know they are unlikely to quibble / argue with a careful description or attempt to blacken my name for spurious reasons ...

Preferring the sales corner to e-bay is not just about saving the sales commission (IMHO).

It is little coincidence that I have sold three watches to the same person in the last year or so.
highway62

Post by highway62 »

bidoffer wrote:Not exactly sure what that's supposed to mean. Would you be so kind as to elaborate?
I'd say the line : " thieving gypo cheats " Tells me all I need to know about the person who composed it.
chrisjohnson
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 40
LE-fourb: yes

Post by chrisjohnson »

village wrote:
What is this "bank transfer"I'd prefer white five pound notes delivered by "gentleman's gentleman" preferably freshly pressed. That way all pikeys will be discouraged.

Alternatively Live and Let Live!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris

"A thing of beauty is joy forever."
John Keats
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

I think that all that needs to be said has been said now.

PS this is me speaking with my Mod hat on.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
highway62

Post by highway62 »

I'd suggest some posts are worthy of removal.
ddav
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ddav »

ianblyth wrote:I think that all that needs to be said has been said now.

PS this is me speaking with my Mod hat on.
All mod comments should be posted in green to avoid confusion
C600IPB 101, C7O cosc 009/300, C8 IPK 004 ,C11 Makaira Pro 006.
W11 Amelia , Emily Double Tour (The Wife)