Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Hans
Administrator Emeritus
CW-watches: 7
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Re: New sales-corner rule

Post by Hans »

FieryTowse wrote:Hmm. I don't suppose 30 posts is a big issue, but still being a relative newcomer I'm reluctant to just pile in to any and every discussion (until I'm perhaps a little better known). I'm going to have to make that effort though because I've already expressed an interest in castle's Steinhart Ocean GMT Pepsi and I can no longer keep track of developments on that thread.
I understand your situation, sorry for the inconvenience!
Toffeeggs
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 10

Post by Toffeeggs »

I feel that is a positive result and will be good for the site
C40 Speedhawk
C60 Trident GMT
C9 Harrison Blue Chrono
C11 MAK
C7 Rapide Blue face
C9-Big Day Date
Trident 600 white dial/bracelet
C7 Rosso Corsa COSC Limited Edition
C1000Typhoon Fgr4 - Cockpit Edition
C7 Rapide Auto Red/Black
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

A welcome change. In fact I'd have been happy if the limit had been 50.
Suncoast
CW-watches: 0

Post by Suncoast »

Well, I for one disagree with this new rule, I came to this forum because I have an interest in getting my first CW watch, I have had a few questions and mostly lurk and read as much as I can in regards to the watches. Just because I am not a 5 or 6 post a day person should not limit me from checking out the sales forum. At my rate of posting it would take me close to a year to aquire the needed 30 posts before I can access the sales forum. I do think what you'll get is people posting trivial posts just so that they can get the needed 30. Sorry fellas but I'll just go back to WUS, it's been nice talking with you. :D
IanK
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by IanK »

I must agree with Suncoast. I've looked at members whose forum name starts with the letter A or B and this sample reveals 458 members of whom 424 have made fewer that 30 posts. That's a whopping 92.5% being prevented from looking at what's for sale. Why is this seen as sensible? Also I've not sold but have bought from a member with a low post count and he was delightful. Just because you don't post regularly doesn't make you dodgy.
CWL C5 Aviator
Breitling Aerospace
Bremont Alt1-C
Bremont Alt1-ZT/51
Omega Aqua Terra
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Good move, Hans, and I'm with Tyke, Mr. Rick, Atnits and all the others in favour. :thumbup:
This forum is a kind of community, and though I've yet to meet anyone face to face (roll on the GTG!) I feel I "know" a lot of people. I've twice bought without any hesitation from guys I knew were established members.
The light-hearted banter helps to make this place special, along with the many fascinating "on-topic" threads. And how hard can it be to welcome new members or congratulate people on their latest acquisitions (even if you don't like them that much yourself!)?
Join in and 30 posts go by like lightning, but if you're ONLY interested in selling, you belong on the Bay!
Just my opinion, and I apologise if it offends anyone.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
IanK
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by IanK »

But 90%+ of members enjoy participating without being 30+ posters. Just because someone sells a watch on this forum doesn't mean that's their ONLY interest in the forum. You high posters who represent less than 10% of forum members should be less harsh on the 90% majority!
CWL C5 Aviator
Breitling Aerospace
Bremont Alt1-C
Bremont Alt1-ZT/51
Omega Aqua Terra
Laser Sag
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Laser Sag »

I have to say I agree with doing this :clap: but when your knowledge of watches is really limited to what you know you like and what you dont it is sometimes difficult to join in with the gossip, as they say a little knowledge is dangerous.
I have always been one of those who read and enjoy a lot more than i take part wether it be on here, TZ or Pistonheads.
Although if the rule had been about a while ago it would have prevented a pointless series of emails with the idiot about the C6 Burnt orange which he didn't actually have.
Perhaps this will encourage me to take part more, so bear with me if i make some silly comments, although i will probably still enjoy reading some of the banter that goes on more.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I'm enjoying this.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

Suncoast wrote:Well, I for one disagree with this new rule, I came to this forum because I have an interest in getting my first CW watch, I have had a few questions and mostly lurk and read as much as I can in regards to the watches. Just because I am not a 5 or 6 post a day person should not limit me from checking out the sales forum. At my rate of posting it would take me close to a year to aquire the needed 30 posts before I can access the sales forum. I do think what you'll get is people posting trivial posts just so that they can get the needed 30. Sorry fellas but I'll just go back to WUS, it's been nice talking with you. :D
IanK wrote:I must agree with Suncoast. I've looked at members whose forum name starts with the letter A or B and this sample reveals 458 members of whom 424 have made fewer that 30 posts. That's a whopping 92.5% being prevented from looking at what's for sale. Why is this seen as sensible? Also I've not sold but have bought from a member with a low post count and he was delightful. Just because you don't post regularly doesn't make you dodgy.
The forum is for like minded weirdos to discuss watches (both CW & others brands) and stuff....the SC is a bonus and not the raison d'etre of the forum.
30 is a very,very low figure anyway and anybody should be able to post this amount easiy without needing to resort to speedposting and rubbish.
And %ges prove nothing except what you want them to prove.A massive amount of people registered on this forum (as with other forums) have never posted and will probably never post,so quoting 92.5% as being prevented from looking at what's for sale is meaningless.
For instance,there are about 350 members who have 30+posts at this time. There are about another 250 members who have just below 30 posts (some of these are newly registers and some registered for some time and don't post) and then there are about 3200 members who have (a) posted a couple of times and never been back (b) have never posted & never intend to post (c) joined to see some pictures & reviews and will never be seen again. So you could say the rule affects about 9% of the active membership,pretty much all of whom are not far under the 30 limit anyway.

Personally i think people should stop be over dramatic and just get on with it.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Post by Mr Rick »

scooter wrote:I'm enjoying this.

scooter
Me too. :mrgreen:
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
Helix Von Smelix
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 108

Post by Helix Von Smelix »

Mr Rick wrote:
scooter wrote:I'm enjoying this.

scooter
Me too. :mrgreen:
A good move by Hans. A low figure and easyish to pass. Easy to see if a troll is posting,,,,,, now that i think about it i had better shut up :silent:
Gogs
Senior
Senior

Post by Gogs »

I'll take this as an opportunity to get my posts up then :D

Appreciate the need to do this, but maybe it could have been only for sellers - hopefully I'm going to be a buyer :thumbup:
Tag Heuer Monaco
Tag Heuer Professional Golf
C60 Trident Auto
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

I only wish I had something to sell. Or the readies to buy something........

............what a waste of 48 posts......... :lol:
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
Ash
CW-watches: 0

Post by Ash »

Hi all, My first post and I'm sorry, have to agree with SunCoast. I am looking for my first 'proper' watch and have really been impressed with CW! Loving the C60 Trident Auto (especially that LE 2012 blue Trident! Absolutely gutted I missed out on that but only joined recently). I'm happy to chip in with comments but as a newbie, want to take in as much as possible first. Unless I've misunderstood completely, is there no way of keep the buying option open but not let people sell without the 30 posts? Go easy on me please! Thanks! Ash Anyway,