New CW Sealander Chronograph

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
User avatar
WileyECoyote
Guru
Guru
Posts: 356
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:34 pm
CW-watches: 10
Location: Downs, KS USA

Re: New CW Sealander Chronograph

Post by WileyECoyote »

Like you, I own one of the C65 AM GT LE’s. And, I know that limited edition run was marketed at the time as the last CW quartz. I really like the C65 AM GT for what it is, a very attractively designed & extremely accurate quartz watch that captures the essence of the Aston Martin dashboard. I have ordered the new Sealander chronograph because I like the design features at a very affordable price. I didn’t buy the C65 AM GT based on the premise that it would be the last ever CW quartz, which might make it more collectible. I am glad that CW changed their mind about making another quartz movement watch & hope that the model is commercially successful. The fact that they did doesn’t diminish the value of the C65 AM GT or enjoyment of owning it in the slightest for me.

Delmar
These users thanked the author WileyECoyote for the post (total 3):
Rezn8ralbionphotoLeon O
C60-Trident Atoll LE/Trident Pro 600
C65-AM GT LE/Super Compressor
C63 GMT Sealander/2023 Forum LE
C1 Russell Black Dial/C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler Chronometer/C8 Pilot Revival LE
User avatar
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 6876
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:32 pm
Location: Essex

Re: New CW Sealander Chronograph

Post by golfjunky »

Please tell me there isn’t people out there that think the previous quartz CW would be something to hold onto in the future! :irre3: ](*,)
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post (total 3):
albionphotoMistaFroggyGTrs1982
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
User avatar
WileyECoyote
Guru
Guru
Posts: 356
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:34 pm
CW-watches: 10
Location: Downs, KS USA

Re: New CW Sealander Chronograph

Post by WileyECoyote »

I have held on to my C65 AM GT LE because I think that it is a really nice watch. I am always somewhat dubious about people buying something because it is a "limited edition". Years ago, I dealt in vintage baseball cards by setting up at trade shows & did national publication ads. My focus was on cards from the sixties going back to the turn of the century days of tobacco issues. Most of those cards had been made for promotional purposes but predated people seriously collecting anything. There were literally kids that put 1950s baseball cards in their bicycle spokes for the sound & mothers that cleaned out the collections of their sons that left home for college. For reasons like that, those cards in good condition became scarce & continue to escalate in value today. During my time as a serious dealer, there were always the many tables at shows with brand new product with some of it "limited edition" to create artificial scarcity. In the short term, this tactic sometimes worked & still does. But, in many cases the market was flooded with product with so many lines of "limited edition" cards. I would imagine that there are still people filling up their storage space with boxes of cards as they hold on in hopes of cashing in! I have a point to my story. I would be very reluctant to buy a newly manufactured watch on the basis that it is a "limited edition" or "last of its kind." If you truly like the design of a watch & ownership of it brings you enjoyment, that is an entirely different story.

Delmar
These users thanked the author WileyECoyote for the post:
rkovars
C60-Trident Atoll LE/Trident Pro 600
C65-AM GT LE/Super Compressor
C63 GMT Sealander/2023 Forum LE
C1 Russell Black Dial/C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler Chronometer/C8 Pilot Revival LE
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 794
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:32 pm
CW-watches: 9

Re: New CW Sealander Chronograph

Post by Leon O »

WileyECoyote wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:39 am Like you, I own one of the C65 AM GT LE’s. And, I know that limited edition run was marketed at the time as the last CW quartz. I really like the C65 AM GT for what it is, a very attractively designed & extremely accurate quartz watch that captures the essence of the Aston Martin dashboard. I have ordered the new Sealander chronograph because I like the design features at a very affordable price. I didn’t buy the C65 AM GT based on the premise that it would be the last ever CW quartz, which might make it more collectible. I am glad that CW changed their mind about making another quartz movement watch & hope that the model is commercially successful. The fact that they did doesn’t diminish the value of the C65 AM GT or enjoyment of owning it in the slightest for me.

Delmar
I haven't bonded with the AM GT, but I did like the idea of owning the last CW quartz model; I actually prefer quartz over automatics.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 794
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:32 pm
CW-watches: 9

Re: New CW Sealander Chronograph

Post by Leon O »

golfjunky wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:33 am Please tell me there isn’t people out there that think the previous quartz CW would be something to hold onto in the future! :irre3: ](*,)
In my case, I have 6 quartz CWs, 5 purchased because they were attractive, well-made, and affordable. When I am cured of my laziness, at least 3 quartz models will be part of my great purge. This has been my plan for 18 months.
These users thanked the author Leon O for the post:
WileyECoyote
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
manicm
Junior
Junior
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:10 am

Re: New CW Sealander Chronograph

Post by manicm »

golfjunky wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:33 am Please tell me there isn’t people out there that think the previous quartz CW would be something to hold onto in the future! :irre3: ](*,)
Is anyone going to spend 500 quid on a quartz watch for speculation??? Sorry but missing your point here.

Anyway, the C63 Valour could have easily been a new Rapide. It looks very much a motorsport watch sans the km/mile markings.
User avatar
jesmat2003
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:28 am
CW-watches: 2

Re: New CW Sealander Chronograph

Post by jesmat2003 »

maclink wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm
jesmat2003 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 pm I’m very pleased at the return of quartz watches, although I won’t be buying this one. My daily watch is a c.2009 C3 Malvern Chronograph which only needs adjusting twice a year when the UK clocks go back or forward, and still only on its third battery. It’s a bit too similar to this new C63 and I think 39mm is tad too small.
How did you get the battery changed? Through CW?
I bought a battery from Amazon and changed the C3’s battery myself. I also have a CW 300 diver but had that battery replaced by sending it back to CW.
kev017
Senior
Senior
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:37 am

Re: New CW Sealander Chronograph

Post by kev017 »

jesmat2003 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:46 am
maclink wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm
jesmat2003 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 pm I’m very pleased at the return of quartz watches, although I won’t be buying this one. My daily watch is a c.2009 C3 Malvern Chronograph which only needs adjusting twice a year when the UK clocks go back or forward, and still only on its third battery. It’s a bit too similar to this new C63 and I think 39mm is tad too small.
How did you get the battery changed? Through CW?
I bought a battery from Amazon and changed the C3’s battery myself. I also have a CW 300 diver but had that battery replaced by sending it back to CW.
out of interest, how much did CW charge for the battery change?
User avatar
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 750
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:29 pm
CW-watches: 2
Location: Oregon

Re: New CW Sealander Chronograph

Post by mvlow »

A new interview of CW's watch designer Will Brackfield about the C63 Valour Chronograph.

These users thanked the author mvlow for the post (total 4):
OllyWthomcat00albionphotomaclink
Malcolm


CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
User avatar
jesmat2003
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:28 am
CW-watches: 2

Re: New CW Sealander Chronograph

Post by jesmat2003 »

kev017 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:39 amout of interest, how much did CW charge for the battery change?
£20 in total. This was in November 2021. The info in my order history says…
Renata battery 371 = £2
15 mins labour = £18
These users thanked the author jesmat2003 for the post:
kev017
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post