My new watch has a blemish 😩

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Rookie

My new watch has a blemish 😩

Post by Rookie »

Hi there watch fans...
I picked up a new (not nearly new) C65 Trident Auto in the sale and upon inspection I have found a small blemish that I cannot remove. Of course now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it. This is my first CW and it was the attention to case finishing that intrigued me and persuaded me to spend my hard earned money here. Am I being too picky?
MVIMG_20220113_191241.jpg
Robotaz
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: My new watch has a blemish [emoji30]

Post by Robotaz »

Have you tried to wipe it off?
Rookie

Post by Rookie »

Robotaz wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:40 am Have you tried to wipe it off?
Of couse
nqtri

Re: My new watch has a blemish 😩

Post by nqtri »

Looks like a discolorization in the metal itself and should have warranty. I would contact customer service
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Yes!, Its made to out last you. wear it until the lugs fall off and patina the sh1t out of it. Would you rather look back and see photo's of you with family, friends and good times with the watch or if its an heirloom piece the person would much rather think of the times with you wearing it or a piece they have never seen that means nothing and has been safe queen.
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post:
tikkathree
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Bretling Aerospace Evo, Vinatge Azur, Vintage dressy Seiko & SBGX059
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

I don't seek cosmetic perfection in my watches for the simple reason that I lack cosmetic perfection: there, I've said it.

I hope you're referring to the small oval shadow mark on the lug? When I scrolled into your photo the first thing I saw was a series of regular diagonal marks but they turn out to be the knurling on the edge of the bezel: phew!
C60 MKI COSC black, MKI black GMT,
C60 MKII Day Date LE, GMT White, LE SH21 x2, ACAN, Bronze Ombre LE,
C60 MKIII Ombre COSC, Elite 1000 GMT, Concept
C6 K'fisher x6,
C60 K'fisher x3
C600 Tritech x 3,
C63 Elite
C65 Anthropocene. Blue h/w,
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Rookie wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:31 am Hi there watch fans...
I picked up a new (not nearly new) C65 Trident Auto in the sale and upon inspection I have found a small blemish that I cannot remove. Of course now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it. This is my first CW and it was the attention to case finishing that intrigued me and persuaded me to spend my hard earned money here. Am I being too picky? MVIMG_20220113_191241.jpg
You've said you can't unsee it and you've gone to the effort of posting your problem on here so consider if you've already made your mind up that you'll not be able to keep it.

It's a small blemish in a processed material that ages and gets a patina over time so it could be said that you are being picky in this instance.

Only you can decide how much it irritates your eyes and brain vs the reduced price you got it for.
These users thanked the author Mikkei4 for the post:
Stuart1
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 25
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

A couple of posts have commented upon ageing and patina which, I guess, the posters are thinking the case is Bronze from the colouration in the photo. If this is correct I'll advocate 'live with it and move on'.

Nevertheless, from your description, Rookie, I'm taking it that the case is steel. In which case, if it troubles you I'll advocate you contact CW and discuss with them.

However, assuming you're referring to the small oval shadow mark on the lug (which I can only see by looking at the photo on my laptop, but can't see on my phone), in real life it must only be the size of a small pin prick, but without any indentation to the surface; which I doubt would be visible to the naked eye.

In which case, my view, live with it and move on.

Guy
C1 GBT-JH| C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB-FLE-Revival| C7 Apex| C7 MkI 47AD| C8 Revival
C8 Reg LE| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 Al Deere| C9 FLE| C9 Me109 SPC LE| C11 Mak Navy| C40
C60 FLEx2| C60 Bronze GMT| C60 Abyss SH21-Apex-Blue-Chrono-Concept-Elite P'type |C65 AMGT 2VEV
exHowfener
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Well, it wouldn't bother me. If I wear a watch - in other words, use it as intended - then it will acquire any number of marks etc. Otherwise known as patina. But that's not really the point, which is: does it bother you? As stated above, you've posted on the forum, taken a picture and tried to remove it. Democracy is a wonderful thing but there are situations when it may not be appropriate. It sounds like it does bother you so to be brutally honest, your watch, your money and only you can decide whether to return or not.
These users thanked the author exHowfener for the post:
Stuart1
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Stuart1
Senior
Senior

Post by Stuart1 »

Sorry, for me it took me reading the thread to see what the blemish was. I don't think that it would bother me. However as previous posters have said if it bothers you that much send it back.
Rookie

Post by Rookie »

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
I guess my biggest concern is if I were to send it back for this or any other reason, the QC folks at CW would ding me 30% for a mark that was there when I got it.

This is supposed to be stainless steel, not bronze where patina is expected.

This was NOT advertised as a NN item where I may expect a few imperfections. However I have watched enough CW unboxing videos to know this was not new stock. The booklets and polishing cloth were out of order and there was no 60/60 hang tag on the watch or anywhere in the box and the pin buckle on the strap had no plastic covering it.
Perhaps I'm a victim of a CW shipping mixup where they sent me the wrong watch, except I got the right model just the NN version instead of new stock? Regardless, I've let CW customer service know so we'll see what happens. I'll update here when I hear back from them.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Does your picture show the watch with the strap taken off? If so wont CW just say that you've messed around with it since delivery so it could have been you.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Bretling Aerospace Evo, Vinatge Azur, Vintage dressy Seiko & SBGX059
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:59 am A couple of posts have commented upon ageing and patina which, I guess, the posters are thinking the case is Bronze from the colouration in the photo. If this is correct I'll advocate 'live with it and move on'.

Guy
Wow, is that not a bronze Trident ? I did assume it was from the colouring.
Rookie

Post by Rookie »

Mikkei4 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:54 pm
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:59 am A couple of posts have commented upon ageing and patina which, I guess, the posters are thinking the case is Bronze from the colouration in the photo. If this is correct I'll advocate 'live with it and move on'.

Guy
Wow, is that not a bronze Trident ? I did assume it was from the colouring.
No, it's stainless not bronze.
Robotaz
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

Rookie wrote:
Robotaz wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:40 am Have you tried to wipe it off?
Of couse
OK. Gotta ask.

So what have you tried wiping with so far? I ask because I have progressively effective techniques.