My Always Evolving CW Wishlist

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

My Always Evolving CW Wishlist

Post by jkbarnes »

Over the years, I’ve found that my wishlist of CWs I’d love to own has been constantly evolving, in part as I learned more about watches and also as my tastes have evolved. I imagine I may never buy a previously owned CW because what I seem to lust after one month could be quite different a few months down the road.

The one constant has been the C9 Small Seconds. This is a beautiful watch, and that never changes. It’s classic in every regard. I see it as an upgraded version of the quartz Hamilton my parents gave me as a high school graduation gift.

For awhile I was drawn to the C11 Makaira. It’s was so different from my conventional notion of a diver. The internal bezel and dual crowns intrigued me. And the color combos were just cool. Any number of pilot watch offerings were on the list for awhile. The 595 grabbed my attention when it came out because of the slim design. I was all about looking for a C61 for a time because of the size and the round pips.

For a long time, the Mk2 38mm C60 Trident GMT with white dial and green bezel was “The One,” right up there with the C9SS as the ultimate CW. I love the handset and the wavy dial of the Mk2. And there’s the logo. The Aquitaine release got me thinking about a green bezel however. Do I really like/want a colored bezel? I’m not so sure now. I do, however, still love the white, wavy dial and the hand set. And there’s that logo.

That leads me to the current “lust of the month” - 38mm Mk2 C60 Trident with a white dial and black bezel. I wonder how long this will last? Maybe a WTB post at some point down the road?

EDITED TO ADD: The original C65 GMT is perpetually on the list, too.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
cincfleetGar787
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: My Always Evolving CW Wishlist

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Why don’t you put up a WTB for the C9SS, Andrew? I was amazed at how quickly I was offered one after I did that.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
jkbarnes
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:59 pm Why don’t you put up a WTB for the C9SS, Andrew? I was amazed at how quickly I was offered one after I did that.
I’m sure I will at some point.
Drew
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Interesting thoughts, JKB. I have similar thought processes too where likes/ dislikes change and evolve. I’ve sometimes been taken by a new release but not bought only to realise a while later that the infatuation was temporary. It’s good to actually want something and know those wants will stand the test of time

A question to you, JKB - what will actually make you pull the trigger on buying your next watch?
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by cincfleet »

jk, I'll join the queue for a C9SS, the CW I desire which has beeen satiated by the C9BDD :lol: :thumbup:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ Apples and Coconuts
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:51 pm
That leads me to the current “lust of the month” - 38mm Mk2 C60 Trident with a white dial and black bezel. I wonder how long this will last? Maybe a WTB post at some point down the road?
These are nice watches and a CW classic IMO.
These users thanked the author Mikkei4 for the post:
jkbarnes
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:09 pm Interesting thoughts, JKB. I have similar thought processes too where likes/ dislikes change and evolve. I’ve sometimes been taken by a new release but not bought only to realise a while later that the infatuation was temporary. It’s good to actually want something and know those wants will stand the test of time

A question to you, JKB - what will actually make you pull the trigger on buying your next watch?
That’s a good question, and I don’t know if I can answer it. As you make note of, a number of the CWs I put on the list turn out to be temporary infatuations, and I’ve learned not to chase infatuations. I’ve noted on previous threads that I never rush into major purchases, and yet both my CWs were spur of the moment purchases. Go figure.

More importantly, as I’ve noted many times, watch purchases are very sensitive issues with my wife. It’s not the cost but the sentimental value she places upon the CW she got me. So in answer yo your question, it would need to be a long term desire that’s clearly not an infatuation, a watch that is distinctly different enough from my C65 TV so as not to compete, and have a compelling story to go with it - birth year watch perhaps, or retirement watch. Something along those lines I could easily sell. Or potentially a watch that blew me away at first site, so much so I just couldn’t help myself!

And just to clarify, it isn’t that my wife is difficult about watches, it’s that the one she got me means as much to her as it does to me. I respect that.

Let me add that I talk a good talk about wanting and getting a watch, but struggle with follow through.
Drew
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:45 pm
Kansas City Milkman wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:09 pm Interesting thoughts, JKB. I have similar thought processes too where likes/ dislikes change and evolve. I’ve sometimes been taken by a new release but not bought only to realise a while later that the infatuation was temporary. It’s good to actually want something and know those wants will stand the test of time

That’s a good question, and I don’t know if I can answer it. As you make note of, a number of the CWs I put on the list turn out to be temporary infatuations, and I’ve learned not to chase infatuations. I’ve noted on previous threads that I never rush into major purchases, and yet both my CWs were spur of the moment purchases. Go figure.

More importantly, as I’ve noted many times, watch purchases are very sensitive issues with my wife. It’s not the cost but the sentimental value she places upon the CW she got me. So in answer yo your question, it would need to be a long term desire that’s clearly not an infatuation, a watch that is distinctly different enough from my C65 TV so as not to compete, and have a compelling story to go with it - birth year watch perhaps, or retirement watch. Something along those lines I could easily sell. Or potentially a watch that blew me away at first site, so much so I just couldn’t help myself!

And just to clarify, it isn’t that my wife is difficult about watches, it’s that the one she got me means as much to her as it does to me. I respect that.

Let me add that I talk a good talk about wanting and getting a watch, but struggle with follow through.
That all makes sense to me. There’s a lot to be said for the pre-purchase considerations of a watch but the commitment to buy is a completely different level for those who are very selective (I count myself in this category).

A watch which meets your (and Mrs JKB’s criteria) will be well worth having when you find it
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Just think where you'd be if you'd followed your wishes and bought the watches you had desired / lusted over, but then sold them to buy the next one.

Up there in the 'Flippers' club. :wink: :wink:

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
jkbarnes
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England