My 1st Watch: CW vs Steinhart vs The Others

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Ash
CW-watches: 0

Post by Ash »

Dear wise, watch-wearers, of Christopher Ward World,

I come to you seeking your wisdom and advice on the horological indecision that i currently face.

I'm looking for my first proper watch - an automatic, with just as much technology on the inside as it does beauty on the out.

So far i've wandered aimlessly; first looking at crappy £10 watches from the high street, then deluding myself as i perused through a range of high end luxury watches with moon-phases and tourbillions but now i know my limits and have been pleasantly surprised by the amazing range from CW; which fit my budget and yet seem to be amazingly good quality. (I'm also loving this forum malarky where everyone has been so nice thus far and i've already picked up so many good tips!)

My problem is that this will be my first major foray and funds are tight. (boo to youth and university debt and family and bills) Also, i may not be able to order again for many months so i really want to get this right; a watch for any occasion (suited and booted or jeans and a t-shirt), that's hardwearing, reliable and obviously pretty to look at. (and under £400!?!!)

My research has brought me to the following:

- CW's C60 Trident Automatic: awesome, but £415 with the SS strap. If i had just bought this, i would've been happy, but my search for wisdom brought me to the forum where i laid eyes upon the FLE 2012 and now i'm getting i missed out!

- Steinhart's Ocean Divers: a bit cheaper and my manager (who got me into 'proper' watches) has an uber cool Ocean Black DLC. Downside: it's made by ze Germans, they don't have a forum as nice as this and apparently, their customer service is nothing compared to the CW team.

- Bernhardt Seashark - only $239 for a SS auto with sapphire glass, luminous hands and a high WR, but has a Japanese Miyota movement as opposed to Swiss - i'm guessing i'll also get hit with tax as they come from USA?

- Lum-Tec Auto M38 - at almost $800 it's pretty expensive and i think i'll have to pay some kind of tax, but does come with 3 straps, seem to be really rugged and hardwearing and look amazing at night!

and i'm sure there are many others i've missed out!

So... what do i do??????? :?

Your time and words are appreciated. :thumbup:

Ash

p.s. sorry for this epically long post!
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

Re: My 1st Watch: CW vs Steinhart vs The Others

Post by xtriple »

Epic, long posts are usually my forte, but I'll let you off this time :lol:

If I wasn't getting one of the FLE's, I would already have a C60. Cracking watches and exceptional value for money. The only watch in the current range that I really want (that I haven't already got) and well specced and built... go for it.

I have a Steinhart Ocean One (green) and I must admit it is a very fine piece indeed. However, I'm not sure about long term build quality: I've already had a pin unscrew from the bracelet and fall out. I caught the watch before it fell to the floor (more by luck than judgement!) and went round each of the screws in the bracelet and tightened them. Quite a few were loose! I love it and wear it often, but I'm just not sold on how solid it feels.

The others you mention I have no personal knowledge of, so cannot comment but for VFM it has to be the C60.

Get it bought!

Hope that helps :lol:
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

All the watches you mention are good watches. The first question is do you want a Swiss Made watch or would a watch with a Japanese movement be fine? If Swiss then it is really between Steinhart and CWL but I will through Tissot into the mix as they are about that price and in the high street.

If you buy anything from outside the EU you will have to pay 20% VAT when it comes into the country. The couriers usually pay and then bill you plus they add an admin fee of about £15.

If not then you can open up to Seiko, Citizen and Orient - especially if you like divers watches where you will get a good watch for less money than a Swiss Made one. Don't look at those brands in the High Street. For some reason they don't stock the really good models.

I have the C60 Trident Auto Black and it is a great watch. I am also lucky enough to have the blue C60 Trident FLE coming soon. I have had a couple of Steinhart Ocean-1s but had to sell them as the lug to lug length was too long for my wrist but they are nice watches.

The other one that you might consider is the C20 Lido. http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men/dr ... 20sss.html Looks good casual and smart for business use. Although at the same price as the C60 on a bracelet I would go for the C60. Especially as the new bracelet looks really good.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
lambretta

Post by lambretta »

Xtriple you need to remove all the screws an any screwed bracelet and add a little lock tight before replacing them. This is the downside of screwed bracelets, however you should only have to do it once.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

The Trident sounds like a perfect fit for your requirements. On the new bracelet, these are very handsome watches, with a nice mix of polished and brushed surfaces which brings some interest to the watch.

I have a couple of Steinharts (and I have recently sold a couple of others). They are well made, but overall, I'd say the CW service and guarantee is a real benefit. I also think the Steinhart Ocean is a bit too much of an 'homage' to Rolex for comfort.

The Bernhardt is a nice watch, but honestly in a different league, for both price and quality.

As for Lum-Tec... nice watches, but overpriced IMHO.
Richard
Richard
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6
LE-one: yes

Post by Richard »

Ash wrote: - CW's C60 Trident Automatic: awesome, but £415 with the SS strap. If i had just bought this, i would've been happy, but my search for wisdom brought me to the forum where i laid eyes upon the FLE 2012 and now i'm getting i missed out!
As I own several CW pieces I can do nothing but recommend them. CW is a great company with great CS.
The hands on the C60 never appealed to me, but that's personal.
Ash wrote: - Steinhart's Ocean Divers: a bit cheaper and my manager (who got me into 'proper' watches) has an uber cool Ocean Black DLC. Downside: it's made by ze Germans, they don't have a forum as nice as this and apparently, their customer service is nothing compared to the CW team.
Steinhart's Ocean One is too much Rolex. Snobbish, I know, but again personal.
Ash wrote: - Bernhardt Seashark - only $239 for a SS auto with sapphire glass, luminous hands and a high WR, but has a Japanese Miyota movement as opposed to Swiss - i'm guessing i'll also get hit with tax as they come from USA?
I've never had the pleasure of dealing with bernhardt. Their watches seem solid enough.
Ash wrote: - Lum-Tec Auto M38 - at almost $800 it's pretty expensive and i think i'll have to pay some kind of tax, but does come with 3 straps, seem to be really rugged and hardwearing and look amazing at night!
Lum-Tec, I think, is just asking too much. Ans, considering your budget not really an option.

I would like to add:

A SKX007, a usual suspect in the diver forums:

Prices begin at €150 on rubber, also good availability in EU, so no taxes.

A Citizen Eco like this one:

Around €200 on e-pray, also available from EU.
CW count: 6 Seiko count: 11 Casio count: 1 Citizen count: 1 G-Shock count: 2.
Unofficial Seiko ambassador.
Bonny
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Bonny »

I'd say C60, but I'm biased, thats why I'm here...
I have a C60 GMT, which I love and wear a lot, I like the Steinharts, but like some of the other comments, think its too much of a Rolex rep.
I hopefully have a C60 FLE coming soon too, but the std C60 is a great watch... if you want more strap options, get a CW rubber as well, you then have an option to swap from the bracelet or get a Maratac or a leather strap....

Whatever you decide, come back and share and post some pictures!
Good luck with the decision.
C4SRS C3SWK C2LE No.24 C7STT C15RKK C5AKK C3GWTR C40SKK C70GB C600IPB C600IPY C60-GMT-SKKO C70FR C5RWT C9-CHR C8SWK C11 Auto C60 Jag C7 MkII BRG C90
Gilgamesh

Post by Gilgamesh »

Ash,

Since you mention customer service in your post, I'd have to recommend Christopher Ward. (big surprise, I know) Having just purchased a c5, I had the pleasure of dealing with Wera. The customer service I received, from purchasing the piece through the excellent communication during a slight shipping delay, was the best from any company that I have received. The way I was treated by Christopher Ward is making me a loyalist more than the watches themselves. (and they are beautiful watches)
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12

Post by Mortis »

downer wrote:The Trident sounds like a perfect fit for your requirements. On the new bracelet, these are very handsome watches, with a nice mix of polished and brushed surfaces which brings some interest to the watch.

I have a couple of Steinharts (and I have recently sold a couple of others). They are well made, but overall, I'd say the CW service and guarantee is a real benefit. I also think the Steinhart Ocean is a bit too much of an 'homage' to Rolex for comfort.

The Bernhardt is a nice watch, but honestly in a different league, for both price and quality.

As for Lum-Tec... nice watches, but overpriced IMHO.
What downer said is about right. And with CWL you also get the 60:60 guarantee to try it out for a bit before truly committing.
Lüm-Tec are too expensive for what they are and most of those boutique American companies are offering novelty and style rather than quality and service. And I own a few so I am not being biased - just saying that if I could only buy one it would be the C60.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Mortis wrote:And with CWL you also get the 60:60 guarantee to try it out for a bit before truly committing.
Not sure you do anymore under the 360:

"Just make sure you are within the 60- day period and your watch has not been worn, scratched or damaged and is in the original packaging. We will do the rest."

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

Given your requirements for scruff and smart, a conservatively styled diver is a good choice and the Steinhart and C60 are two strong candidates. CW certainly has the edge on customer care, but Steinhart are no slouches either. I will not presume to advise you, but am happy to add confusion by throwing the idea of an Orient Mako into the mix. Here's a few I bought earlier...
(I know chaps... I promise to take a different picture one day)
The 'look' and the watch quality feel is still there, though the bracelet is a cut below, and the cost is much less.

Of you can go for a simpler look with a sport or aviation style watch.
Here is a Timefactors Speedbird III as a for-instance.

One other trick is to alternate watch straps - steel for the rough stuff and leather for best.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

Good evening Ash. Out of the watches you mention, I can heartily recommend the c60 on the new bracelet. I bought my c60 on the original bracelet a little over a year ago and upgraded to the new bracelet a few weeks ago. It really is rather a splendid piece and you won't regret buying one if that is the route you choose. It will happily see you through smart and casual dress occasions. Best of luck in your decision.
julywest
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by julywest »

Lum-Tec s are good and their customer service is on par with CW... having said that I previously owned Lum-Tecs but now prefer CWs

I own c600 and recommed highly and a friend owns C60 so I say C60 is the answer !
dwhs
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by dwhs »

C 60 all the way. Can't stand steinhart or the Rolex cyclops!
Ash
CW-watches: 0

Post by Ash »

Thank you very much for the replies - very much appreciate you all taking the time to offer your wise words.

ianblyth: thank you for confirming the extra costs for purchases from outside the EU - that helps me rule out the Lum-Tec definitely! A little out of my price range without the added costs (for now at least...) I did also look at the C20 Lido, but i just prefer the looks of the C60.

Richard & Loddonite: thank you for the pics and alternatives, definitely appreciate you making my decisions harder by providing some great looking alternatives!!! :D
I quite like the Orient Mako, but the Bernahrdt's just seem like a better spec with the sapphire glass etc. I'm going to be a bit snobbish and say that i want the watch brand i choose to be unique, respected and have character but still be a bit under the radar for 'normal' folk. Companies like CW, Stowa, Steinhart, Bernhadt all tick those boxes which rules out the Seiko as i've seen them in my local shops. (apologies if i'm out of order here!)

Anyway, overall, the C60 is definitely my favourite. I am more inclined towards the Swiss made watches but when i look at the specs for the Bernhardt's, it's hard to not be tempted for the price. I don't know why most of my options below are divers, i suppose it's manly because they have great specs and are amazing VFM pieces. To make matters worse for me, the CW catalogue arrived this morning and i've been looking at it for over an hour!!! I'm going to need a massive pay rise methinks!

I'm also feeling quite greedy... I'm now debating whether i should maybe get a C5 Malvern Auto (black/brown strap) AND a Bernhardt or just a C60???

I also wish the C70 range came in auto - the more i look at them, the more i want one!!!

Decisions, decisions! I'm beginning to understand why you call this place the 'Asylum' now...

Was it this difficult for all of you to get your first watch?!

xtriple: apologies again for my long post - i'll try not to make a habit of it!!