Discuss Christopher Ward watches
widge34
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes

Movement accuracy

Post by widge34 »

Ive just purchased a San Martin dive watch which is a homage to the Seiko 62mas. For a £130 watch its stunning. Well built, nicely polished and brushed case, domed sapphire glass, ceramic bezel that actually lines up, great case back and superb lume.
The watch has the Seiko n35a movement and its been running +1spd.

Now my CW C600 which cost five times the San Martin runs at +13spd.

Why is it that a Chinese company can rugulate a movement so well and produce a great quality watch, which is very similar in quality to the CW600 for £130, and CW/ Sellita can't?

I know the Sellita is within its spec, but surely CW can regulate the watch better than 13 seconds?

Its not just CW i know. Many other Swiss made watches arne't great either
Paul Drawmer
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Re: Movement accuracy

Post by Paul Drawmer »

It's called pot luck. At this price point, provided it's within spec, it's OK. You want a higher spec, you pay more money.
The manufacturer buys in the movements, assembles the watches, bungs 'em on a timer, and ships if within limits.

I've had a couple of CW basic three handers that were amazingly accurate; Trident GMT Pepsi MK1 was one of them.
There's always time for one more.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

As Paul noted it's all about luck. In my early days I had a Parnis homage with a Seagull movement that ran about +35 secs per day! I'm quite happy with the accuracy of my CW's.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Lawrence »

OMG Wiggles are you starting this again?

:lol:
Bulova Accutron Gemini, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, C60 Elite 1000 GMT, C60 Chrono, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C60 Trident Bronze Ombré COSC LE Edition
exHowfener
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by exHowfener »

I can understand why you would say that, but I don't think we will be hearing from "Wiggles" any time soon.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

exHowfener wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:02 pm
I can understand why you would say that, but I don't think we will be hearing from "Wiggles" any time soon.
....... maybe you will but as an alias! Some trolls have nothing better to do
rkovars
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by rkovars »

Did they regulate it? Maybe. More likely you got a good one. You are looking at a sample of 1 from each brand. Too small of a sample to make an accurate assessment of either one.

I wouldn't say the quality is similar either. You get a hell of a lot for your money in the San Martin but saying the quality is equal to the C60 is overstating it a bit. When you start looking closely the differences become pretty stark.

Another point to consider is longevity. It is my experience that the NH35s typically don't hold regulation for very long (think months here not years).

Better question: Why does an SLA043 retail for $4500? Or an SPB143 retail for $1200?
Current CW = C65 Trident Vintage GMT, C65 Dartmouth, C60 Trident Ombré COSC LE, C65 Super Compressor

In Review:

2 More CW's on the short list! (This is pretty much a lie - I have at least 17 CW Tabs open at the moment!)
exHowfener
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by exHowfener »

...... maybe you will but as an alias! Some trolls have nothing better to do
Fair point, well made.

I just try to be optimistic these days ...
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

exHowfener wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:28 pm
...... maybe you will but as an alias! Some trolls have nothing better to do
Fair point, well made.

I just try to be optimistic these days ...
:clap: .....and long may that be the case
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

widge34 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:26 am Ive just purchased a San Martin dive watch which is a homage to the Seiko 62mas. For a £130 watch its stunning. Well built, nicely polished and brushed case, domed sapphire glass, ceramic bezel that actually lines up, great case back and superb lume.
The watch has the Seiko n35a movement and its been running +1spd.

Now my CW C600 which cost five times the San Martin runs at +13spd.

Why is it that a Chinese company can rugulate a movement so well and produce a great quality watch, which is very similar in quality to the CW600 for £130, and CW/ Sellita can't?

I know the Sellita is within its spec, but surely CW can regulate the watch better than 13 seconds?

Its not just CW i know. Many other Swiss made watches arne't great either
:yawn: :yawn:
Broken record.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by ajax87 »

I’ll echo the sample size comment from rkovars. I had a friend who bought a new Toyota and it turned out to be a lemon, so the dealer replaced it with a new one. The replacement had issues too so the dealer took it back and my friend went to Another car brand and complains constantly about how crappy Toyotas are. Of course the data is out there and the fact is Toyota is one of the most reliable car brands out there.

I don’t know why I’m biting on another one of Wiggles’s perplexing accuracy non-issue threads again, though. Maybe I’M the sucker :crazy:
Alex
C5A Mk1|C60 Sapphire, Abyss, GMT|C65 SC, 316L LE|C63 Auto|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster racing|Hamilton Intramatic chrono|Shinola Runwell auto|Tissot|Timex|RZE Endeavor
widge34
Guru
Guru

Post by widge34 »

Who the hell is Wiggles?
widge34
Guru
Guru

Post by widge34 »

rkovars wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:26 pm Did they regulate it? Maybe. More likely you got a good one. You are looking at a sample of 1 from each brand. Too small of a sample to make an accurate assessment of either one.

I wouldn't say the quality is similar either. You get a hell of a lot for your money in the San Martin but saying the quality is equal to the C60 is overstating it a bit. When you start looking closely the differences become pretty stark.

Another point to consider is longevity. It is my experience that the NH35s typically don't hold regulation for very long (think months here not years).

Better question: Why does an SLA043 retail for $4500? Or an SPB143 retail for $1200?
I didnt say the quality is equal to, but its certainly not £600 different
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

widge34 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:35 pm Who the hell is Wiggles?
He’s changed his name to Ban Ned?
Steve.
rkovars
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

widge34 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:26 am which is very similar in quality
Your words not mine. They are not similar IMO.
Current CW = C65 Trident Vintage GMT, C65 Dartmouth, C60 Trident Ombré COSC LE, C65 Super Compressor

In Review:

2 More CW's on the short list! (This is pretty much a lie - I have at least 17 CW Tabs open at the moment!)