Monta vs. CW

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
ssholloway21
Senior
Senior

Monta vs. CW

Post by ssholloway21 »

Hello Everyone, I am curious on thoughts between Monta vs. CW. Monta is showcasing their new Skyquest tomorrow. I may decide to pick up my first Monta. They look fantastic but curious if they are worth twice the price of CW (in general). I love CW (I am warming up fast to the twin flags) and own 5. Trying to decide if I should wait for a twin flags only trident. The Sealander GMT is too small for me.

What are your thoughts on Monta vs. CW?
NationOfLaws
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Re: Monta vs. CW

Post by NationOfLaws »

I have an Atlas. I think they’re doing some great things, especially with their bracelet. Their dial finishing, I think, is nicer and I find their bracelet to be more comfortable. It’s definitely more difficult to change straps since they don’t use quick release on the ones they make (or on the bracelet). I don’t know that they’re worth twice the price, but they are very nice pieces. I picked mine up on the secondary market for under MSRP and am considering buying a Skyquest at full-freight, depending on what drops, or maybe waiting for the new Oceanking slated for November, so that should tell you I think they’re worth it.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post (total 2):
wookiechew23Stif
ssholloway21
Senior
Senior

Post by ssholloway21 »

NationOfLaws wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:58 am I have an Atlas. I think they’re doing some great things, especially with their bracelet. Their dial finishing, I think, is nicer and I find their bracelet to be more comfortable. It’s definitely more difficult to change straps since they don’t use quick release on the ones they make (or on the bracelet). I don’t know that they’re worth twice the price, but they are very nice pieces. I picked mine up on the secondary market for under MSRP and am considering buying a Skyquest at full-freight, depending on what drops, or maybe waiting for the new Oceanking slated for November, so that should tell you I think they’re worth it.
Thanks! Yeah, I am where you are. I am waiting see tomorrow the preview and may wait for the Oceanking. I hate waiting, LOL.
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

I own the Monta OceanKing and two CW's to compare it to. The Monta finishing is better than CW. The attention to every detail is evident on the Monta. If I had to do it all over again I might not buy the OceanKing because it is too nice for me to be wearing on a daily basis. It stays in the box most of the time as I feel I want to keep it pristine because of how much I paid for it. This is just a flaw in my personality. If you think you would regularly wear a watch costing twice as much as a CW I think you would not regret your purchase. With Monta you are in Tudor territory as far as quality without the Tudor price.
These users thanked the author mvlow for the post:
wookiechew23
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
wookiechew23
Junior
Junior

Post by wookiechew23 »

Thank you to both of you for sharing your experiences with Monta! I'm itching to get my hands on one, and I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on the new Skyquest when it drops, but I'm also interested in seeing if and when they release the pink dial Noble they teased back in May (when I asked them about it, they said they were expecting it to drop by the end of Q4)
Arun

C63 Sealander GMT, C63 Sapphire GMT COSC LE
Maraeburn
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Maraeburn »

I also own a noble - which I love! Really excited by the the new gmts, I’m also very excited about the new bracelets which are an even better fit (apparently on smaller wrists), they ship with all new montas. I also kinda regretted not buying the Tiffany blue noble when it was announced, however after contacting monta about whether I could buy the bracelet on its own (you can but at 595USD it’s bloody expensive!) they also let me know that they had a couple of cancellations on the Tiffany ones, i jumped on it, and should now have one of them at the end of next month.

If you do a search on Google for monta noble turquoise- a link will come up, when I checked earlier they had 3 left. There is no direct link on the website.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

I have a Monta Skyquest. When I ordered it in Summer 2020 right before the price-hike, there was a glitch and someone had bought the last one before the site updated so my order was faulty. As an apology for the 1-month delay of shipment, they threw in their pricey rubber strap (aka Rolex Rubber B) for free which was really nice of them.

The whole presentation of the wooden box it came in was truly impressive and made opening it a luxurious experience. The watch really does wow you when you first look at it. The finishing is a big step-up over CW. The 3D effect of the dial (high-depth) is the greatest thing about it and it makes it look expensive. The bracelet as well is a step above CW. There is so much different polishing on the case and that is harder to do compared to CW's "Light-Catcher" which is only polished in small parts.

So it is an upgrade next to CW but I only paid $1970. Now the Skyquest is $2190. I took a look at the new ones today. I do like the Pepsi/Gilt combo a bit but the Silver ones are a let-down compared to mine. Aluminum bezel & matt dial compared to my ceramic bezel and lacquered dial. It looks like it a lost a lot of personality too and they no longer come with the nice wooden box! With this SQ update I was expecting to have major buyer's remorse but I absolutely do not!

Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

Mike and Justin posted a video on their Instagram yesterday where they discuss the reasons for the changes to the Skyquest (see link below). The overall theme is that they are trying to get back to making it more of a tool watch and less of a dressy vibe. They have reasonable explanations for why they changed certain things, but it won't change the fact that some people will still like the more dressy previous version. A lot of people had commented before the video that they wish they had kept the bent GMT hand as it was unique to their watch. In the video they explained that the bent hand was a solution to a problem that they have now resolved with Selitta, so they can now have a straight GMT hand. It will be interesting to see how popular the new Skyquest is and also the new OceanKing which will be released in a few months. So far it seems like their pre-orders for the Skyquest are selling fast.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiA1RiED5QG/
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Out of interest are you all USA based?

Monta watches look great and I've thought about buying 1 but as it's a USA based company I've not bothered due to the tax situation and the possibility of not liking how it wears when it arrives. Is this the same for you USA based people considering a CW?
NationOfLaws
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by NationOfLaws »

Yes, US based. And kind of; taxes end up being about $80 when they apply to a CW watch in my budget, typically, so it’s a consideration but it’s a bit of “in for a penny, in for a pound.”
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:11 pm Out of interest are you all USA based?

Monta watches look great and I've thought about buying 1 but as it's a USA based company I've not bothered due to the tax situation and the possibility of not liking how it wears when it arrives. Is this the same for you USA based people considering a CW?
I'm USA based as well. So far I haven't been hit with any import duties on CW watches I've purchased. One watch was under the $800 limit and the watch that cost me over the $800 limit came through without any import duties a couple of years back before CW started using DHL. Back then it was the luck of the draw whether you got hit with import duties.
Malcolm

audio.bill
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 4

Post by audio.bill »

I try to only purchase CW watches that are selling under the $800 US customs threshold. I wouldn't mind paying a known amount in duty and fees, but the way it's currently setup with DHL their charges are inconsistent and unpredictable so I'm not comfortable making such a purchase.
Jack52

Post by Jack52 »

Lucky you only have to pay taxes when over $800 in the US. We in Ireland have to pay 23% on every purchase outside the EU. Luckily CW have a European distribution network.
Aladave

Post by Aladave »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:11 pm Out of interest are you all USA based?

I’m in the USA. I recently purchased a CW Aquitaine. It took me a while to decide to proceed with the purchase. A major factor was the insanity of our tax code for purchases over $800 - it’s not possible to predict what the import duty will be or if there will even be one. Couple that with the complete inability to see the watch in person and you end up with a difficult decision. It was a gamble. It paid off in my case - but I did get stuck paying around $80 in import duties. So, yes we have the same dilemma.