Model/Case Numbers

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
teestech
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Model/Case Numbers

Post by teestech »

One of Kip's posts on the current thread about the demise of the C20 got me thinking.

I'm aware of the overall makeup of model numbers etc, however one thing still puzzles me.

When the C5 Mk2 is a 39mm case, what makes the new slimline 40mm case still be a C5? As another example, why if the C10 is 40mm, does the 42mm Typhoon keep the C10(C1000) case designation?

Not that it matters of course, I'm just curious. :-k
Chr Ward • Rolex • Oris • Magrette • Orient • Helgray • Citizen • CWC • Momentum • Suunto • Rotary • Majex • Yema
Handwound: 2 • Automatic: 15 • Quartz: 6
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Re: Model/Case Numbers

Post by welshlad »

teestech wrote:When the C5 Mk2 is a 39mm case, what makes the new slimline 40mm case still be a C5?
I suppose it's about the role that the model plays in the range. It used to be that the C number referred to the case, but the C5 started as 38mm, then became 39mm and now will become a completely new style of case at 40mm.
teestech wrote:As another example, why if the C10 is 40mm, does the 42mm Typhoon keep the C10(C1000) case designation?
The C10 is 42mm, so is consistent with the C1000 (and the C10 FLE).
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
teestech
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by teestech »

Thanks welshlad, not sure how I messed up my reading of the C10 case, but you understood what I was getting at anyway. :)

I didn't realise the whole C5 line would move into the new 40mm case, so that explains it perfectly. Thanks again. :thumbup:
Chr Ward • Rolex • Oris • Magrette • Orient • Helgray • Citizen • CWC • Momentum • Suunto • Rotary • Majex • Yema
Handwound: 2 • Automatic: 15 • Quartz: 6
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Actually, I'm not 100% sure that the regular C5s will morph into the slimline case. They may actually sit alongside each other in the product range for a while.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr