Mk2 vs mk3 C60 GMT opinions needed

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Mk2 vs mk3 C60 GMT opinions needed

Post by johncolescarr »

I’m contemplating getting a mk3 38mm gmt to replace my mk2.

I’m sure there are plenty on this forum that have had both and can give me a subjective opinion.

All of my research suggests most regard the mk3 as a significant upgrade, I must say I’m not sure which I prefer the looks of (i love the versatility of the mk2 in terms of dressy diver, but I also love the proper gmt bezel and more cohesive design of the mk3, I just worry it’s too sporty for smart wear) so what might secure it for me is if the mk3 is significantly improved in terms of case finishing, lume, bracelet, bezel etc.

So what’s your thoughts?

I love my mk2 don’t get me wrong and I may keep both, but a black diver /gmt Is my daily wear and can’t shake the mk3 from my mind.
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Mk2 vs mk3 C60 GMT opinions needed

Post by tikkathree »

johncolescarr wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:42 pm I’m contemplating getting a mk3 38mm gmt to replace my mk2.

I’m sure there are plenty on this forum that have had both and can give me a subjective opinion.

All of my research suggests most regard the mk3 as a significant upgrade, I must say I’m not sure which I prefer the looks of (i love the versatility of the mk2 in terms of dressy diver, but I also love the proper gmt bezel and more cohesive design of the mk3, I just worry it’s too sporty for smart wear) so what might secure it for me is if the mk3 is significantly improved in terms of case finishing, lume, bracelet, bezel etc.

So what’s your thoughts?

I love my mk2 don’t get me wrong and I may keep both, but a black diver /gmt Is my daily wear and can’t shake the mk3 from my mind.
Well I struggled for a long time with the mk3 hand set whereas my affection for the mk1/2 handset was immediate and lasting so I can kinda see your dilemma.
Case finish? Much more sculpted and gone are the slightly-too-deep case slab sides.
Lume? Remember how your old CW doesn't really "do" lume? It's there but it's pretty much token lume. Well you're in for a big change.
Bracelet: One-handed quick release pins?
Bezel etc? Well I have an affinity for alloy bezel inserts and regard the wear that they sustain as "proof of honest toil" but yes, lumed ceramic inserts are different thing.

It is all subjective and you're going to ask me which I'd grab, mk 1, 2 or 3? Hmm..... probably the 3.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Re: Mk2 vs mk3 C60 GMT opinions needed

Post by johncolescarr »

tikkathree wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:12 am
Well I struggled for a long time with the mk3 hand set whereas my affection for the mk1/2 handset was immediate and lasting so I can kinda see your dilemma.
Case finish? Much more sculpted and gone are the slightly-too-deep case slab sides.
Lume? Remember how your old CW doesn't really "do" lume? It's there but it's pretty much token lume. Well you're in for a big change.
Bracelet: One-handed quick release pins?
Bezel etc? Well I have an affinity for alloy bezel inserts and regard the wear that they sustain as "proof of honest toil" but yes, lumed ceramic inserts are different thing.

It is all subjective and you're going to ask me which I'd grab, mk 1, 2 or 3? Hmm..... probably the 3.
I used to adore the hands and the contrast of "old meets new" baroque hands and sporty GMT hand, and in some ways I still do, but I cant help feeling that the new design is more cohesive.

I've pretty much convinced myself now I'll pick up a mk3. My plan is to wear each one exclusively for a month and see which I bond with the most.

Ive never had a large watch collection, maybe 4-5 max, but I find that I wear my black C60s almost all the time to the detriment of my other watches.

I may choose to keep both but honestly I'll end up just wearing one anyway.
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm