London is back

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: London is back

Post by Leo David »

downer wrote:Fixed the wrong part of the problem IMO.

Doesn't change anything for me......
Quite so.
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

Post by mabotham »

London does unify the logo more. When will this logo be rolled out? Once all current ones have sold out or a cut off date ?
theague
Senior
Senior

Post by theague »

Have any watches been produced with just the Chr.Ward?
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

theague wrote:Have any watches been produced with just the Chr.Ward?
Special edition C11 for the HRDC historic racing drivers club has it on the dial.

Pilot watch for a drivers club ????? :? Next out is rumoured to be a crimson faced C600 Tri Tech for the RAF Red Devils! :D
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Hmmm.

It does make some sense to have "London" there, if CWL are going to persist in using that archaic English-style abbreviation in their name.

Also, the mark's aesthetically more balanced and less lop-sided with the addition of "London".

As for whether the mark itself is actually appropriate for the watches however, I'm not sure. IMO, it now feels even more like a fashion label.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15
Nomos Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

asqwerth wrote:Hmmm.

It does make some sense to have "London" there, if CWL are going to persist in using that archaic English-style abbreviation in their name.

Also, the mark's aesthetically more balanced and less lop-sided with the addition of "London".

As for whether the mark itself is actually appropriate for the watches however, I'm not sure. IMO, it now feels even more like a fashion label.
julywest
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by julywest »

JAG wrote:Chr.Ward
London

Will look PANTS IMOHO

What a total load of rubbish it will look unbalanced and no one will know what the Chr stands for , When that appears on the faces no more will be posted to this address :shock:
What does PANTS stand for?
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Kip wrote:Many have voiced their displeasure over the CWL logo change and the removal of "London" from said logo.

It is with great pleasure that I inform you that "London" shall be reinstated. The rest of the new logo shall remain as is with London going underneath as in the past.

Despite what you may read on the forum that the new logo is disliked, the vast majority of customers etc seem to be in favor of the new version.

The identity of London to the brand overall is extremely important in my view. Although I myself understood the change, even if I did not object to the new logo, I prefer the logo with "London" included.

Kudos to CW for reconsidering and restoring "London" to where it belongs. :clap:
I myself never had a problem with the new logo. The dislike on here was a little over-done and didn't want to jump on that band wagon. We all need something to bitch about and this subject gave the opportunity. I also think that "London" gives Christopher's watches a real touch of class. London is a classy place. "From London" refers to the man, CW, not the watches, which now are made in Switzerland. I never saw it to be anything different than that. I think maybe, CW just wanted an iron clad association with being "Swiss Made" and figured "London" would leave some customers confused and wondering, perhaps.
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by asqwerth »

julywest wrote:
JAG wrote:Chr.Ward
London

Will look PANTS IMOHO

What a total load of rubbish it will look unbalanced and no one will know what the Chr stands for , When that appears on the faces no more will be posted to this address :shock:
What does PANTS stand for?
It's not short for anything; it's used here to mean "terrible". So if you were watching your favourite team play badly, you could say "they were pants". I have never understand this usage, to be honest. :?
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15
Nomos Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

julywest wrote:What does PANTS stand for?
A transatlantic semantic shift. PANTS to you guys are what we call trousers...to us they are underpants. It's just a way of saying something is useless.

FWIW I'm equally happy with the old and new logos 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jmarchitect »

downer wrote:Fixed the wrong part of the problem IMO.

Doesn't change anything for me......
I liked the Chr.WARD logo and I like this version even more. Balance, poise, elegance, class. It says them all. Or at least it does to me. 8)
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by CornishDave »

I am remaining on the fence on this one. I think Chr Ward pretty stupid, but I do not really care about logos, they can put Pickles on the watch if they want, it's not something I can get wound up about!
Trophy
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by Trophy »

Russ-Shettle wrote:
Kip wrote:Many have voiced their displeasure over the CWL logo change and the removal of "London" from said logo.

It is with great pleasure that I inform you that "London" shall be reinstated. The rest of the new logo shall remain as is with London going underneath as in the past.

Despite what you may read on the forum that the new logo is disliked, the vast majority of customers etc seem to be in favor of the new version.

The identity of London to the brand overall is extremely important in my view. Although I myself understood the change, even if I did not object to the new logo, I prefer the logo with "London" included.

Kudos to CW for reconsidering and restoring "London" to where it belongs. :clap:
I myself never had a problem with the new logo. The dislike on here was a little over-done and didn't want to jump on that band wagon. We all need something to bitch about and this subject gave the opportunity. I also think that "London" gives Christopher's watches a real touch of class. London is a classy place. "From London" refers to the man, CW, not the watches, which now are made in Switzerland. I never saw it to be anything different than that. I think maybe, CW just wanted an iron clad association with being "Swiss Made" and figured "London" would leave some customers confused and wondering, perhaps.
Always thought CW "the man" was from Liverpool? (or did I just make that up?)

Trophy
TempusFugit
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 4

Post by TempusFugit »

A good move. "London" is a highly desireable name to have on a clock so why not quality watches?
Four CWs and too many others to list!
And loads of clocks.
And bicycles.
Jammy Devil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by Jammy Devil »

I thought Christopher Ward's H.Q. was in Maidenhead, not London. :shock:
Have they moved from Maidenhead ?