Let quartz watch run or stop when not in use?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Let quartz watch run or stop when not in use?

Post by FloridaPhil »

Just curious....

This was brought to mind by another thread about whether or not you put your automatic watch on a winder when not in use (I don't), how about quartz watches?

One of the biggest benefits to a quartz is the ability to just let it run when not in use so it doesn't need resetting when you do want to wear it again. Just put it on and go...

On the other hand, the downside of letting it run and using up the battery is not the cost of the replacement battery, it's the cost (and hassle) of having the battery replaced - if you don't do it yourself and particularly if you want the watch to be pressure tested by a facility with the correct equipment.

So, do you stop your quartz or do you just let it run? Personally, I'm too lazy to stop mine and I'm guessing that most others are too.

Thoughts?
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Re: Let quartz watch run or stop when not in use?

Post by smegwina »

Keep em running. Only way to stop a quartz is to pull out the crown, and this leads to a whole other set of problems that could cost you a shed load more than a battery every five years.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
MrNice
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by MrNice »

I'm not too sure either what is best but i just let my quartz watches also run when not in use. I suppose it is easy enough to pull out the crown but its something i've never done or never even thought of doing.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

FloridaPhil wrote:Just curious....

This was brought to mind by another thread about whether or not you put your automatic watch on a winder when not in use (I don't), how about quartz watches?

One of the biggest benefits to a quartz is the ability to just let it run when not in use so it doesn't need resetting when you do want to wear it again. Just put it on and go...

On the other hand, the downside of letting it run and using up the battery is not the cost of the replacement battery, it's the cost (and hassle) of having the battery replaced - if you don't do it yourself and particularly if you want the watch to be pressure tested by a facility with the correct equipment.

So, do you stop your quartz or do you just let it run? Personally, I'm too lazy to stop mine and I'm guessing that most others are too.

Thoughts?
Being a tight Scotsman :lol: , I actually pull out the crown on my quartz watches (I have 2) when I'm not wearing them. As I've started to accumulate more watches (and that number will increase when my C65 Trident LE gets delivered tomorrow :clap: :thumbup: ) then the period they sit in the drawer is increasing. Of course as you've said its not the cost, its the hassle of going to get the battery replaced. The more recent watch acquisitions have been automatics so that's not an issue as much, although I'm not convinced about buying a winder to keep the automatics running. :?

Just reading Smegwina's response whilst typing this, what problems can you get with quartz by leaving the crown out long term (assuming kept in a dry dust free environment)??
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by smegwina »

Thegreyman wrote:
FloridaPhil wrote:Just curious....

Thoughts?
Being a tight Scotsman :lol: , I actually pull out the crown on my quartz watches (I have 2) when I'm not wearing them. As I've started to accumulate more watches (and that number will increase when my C65 Trident LE gets delivered tomorrow :clap: :thumbup: ) then the period they sit in the drawer is increasing. Of course as you've said its not the cost, its the hassle of going to get the battery replaced. The more recent watch acquisitions have been automatics so that's not an issue as much, although I'm not convinced about buying a winder to keep the automatics running. :?

Just reading Smegwina's response whilst typing this, what problems can you get with quartz by leaving the crown out long term (assuming kept in a dry dust free environment)??
Unfortunately, unless you live in a sterile environment, there is always dust and moisture in the air. - The only time I have ever had moisture ingress into a watch was on a pulled crown quartz Breitling.

FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

smegwina wrote: Unfortunately, unless you live in a sterile environment, there is always dust and moisture in the air. - The only time I have ever had moisture ingress into a watch was on a pulled crown quartz Breitling.
And that is the usefulness of asking a 'dumb' question - you learn things you hadn't even thought about but make perfect sense when pointed out. Thanks!
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
MadMrB
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MadMrB »

The only quartz I have are solar powered with radio time syncing. So no battery change and if they are kept in the dark for a while and stop, then within a few minutes of being in light again they start up and reset to correct time... but I still prefer a mechanical :)
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Never considered it ...I just let them run...I also don't use a watch winder
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by smegwina »

FloridaPhil wrote:
smegwina wrote: Unfortunately, unless you live in a sterile environment, there is always dust and moisture in the air. - The only time I have ever had moisture ingress into a watch was on a pulled crown quartz Breitling.
And that is the usefulness of asking a 'dumb' question - you learn things you hadn't even thought about but make perfect sense when pointed out. Thanks!
There are no dumb questions!!

In your neck of the woods, it can be especially apparent. The air is warm and moist in Florida, so this is what is in the case. You then get into an A/C car etc and that tends to be when the air condenses in the case, and as the crown is in, it has nowhere to go!

My Breitling had its problem in the Far East due to these circumstances.

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I leave my quartz watches running, primarily so I can grab and go.

So what's a battery change every five or so years? Significantly cheaper than getting an Automatic watch serviced.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia Z5 Premium
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

I agree with Nick and Guy . The only quartz watch i know of , that recommended you pulled the crown out (when not in use ), was the Rolex Oysterquartz cal 5035 & 5055 .

I always thought the electronic module was always "fed" anyway with the crown pulled out , if so then there is still some energy from the battery still being used .
Bernie
st-rider
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by st-rider »

The specs for the Ronda quartz modules say 70% power saving with crown pulled out.

Plus aren't quartz delivered with the crown out and crown stopper fitted. Or is that just the budget brands?
Alex

Caitlin: "What did Ducky look like when he was younger?"
Gibbs: "Illya Kuryakin" :D
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

I found this interesting article/thread .

http://watchintyme.com/archive/index.php/t-199.html
Bernie
st-rider
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by st-rider »

tempusmaximus wrote:I found this interesting article/thread .
http://watchintyme.com/archive/index.php/t-199.html
Interesting read. I was just thinking that the gaskets should prevent dust & moisture.

FWIW have been keeping a few quartz in watch box with crown out. Including a cw c3. From what I read I am doing nothing that will harm these watches.
Alex

Caitlin: "What did Ducky look like when he was younger?"
Gibbs: "Illya Kuryakin" :D
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

st-rider wrote:Interesting read. I was just thinking that the gaskets should prevent dust & moisture.
But what if the gaskets /seals are degraded or damaged ? :)
Bernie