Kingfisher LE problem

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Gray C
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Kingfisher LE problem

Post by Gray C »

I posted this same message in the Kingfisher LE forum, but not sure how many people look in that section now so thought I would copy it in here too for your advice and comments.

Unfortunately I have problem with my Kingfisher LE.

I have noticed that when winding the watch it has always been a little stiff compared to my other autos, but put this down to it being a different type of movement. However, when I wound it up today it was so stiff I was unable to fully wind it (I had not worn it for a few days). I also noticed it started to shudder slightly and could hear a whirring sound from inside the watch. It is also very difficult to push the crown in to tighten it up now.

I did not think it was possible to overwind the LE auto, correct me if I am wrong? Even so, I had only managed to wind it about 10 to 15 turns before it seized.

The watch is still going and I guess if I wear it constantly it may be OK, but I do like to alternate my watches so inevitably they do wind down after a couple of days.
Christopher Ward Kingfisher LE 31/100
Omega Bond Seamaster LE 655/10007
Omega QoS Planet Ocean LE 1829/5007
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Kingfisher LE problem

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Gray C wrote:I posted this same message in the Kingfisher LE forum, but not sure how many people look in that section now so thought I would copy it in here too for your advice and comments.

Unfortunately I have problem with my Kingfisher LE.

I have noticed that when winding the watch it has always been a little stiff compared to my other autos, but put this down to it being a different type of movement. However, when I wound it up today it was so stiff I was unable to fully wind it (I had not worn it for a few days). I also noticed it started to shudder slightly and could hear a whirring sound from inside the watch. It is also very difficult to push the crown in to tighten it up now.

I did not think it was possible to overwind the LE auto, correct me if I am wrong? Even so, I had only managed to wind it about 10 to 15 turns before it ceased.

The watch is still going and I guess if I wear it constantly it may be OK, but I do like to alternate my watches so inevitably they do wind down after a couple of days.
Gray

Rather than ask everyone what they think and you truly believe something is wrong you should send it back, just in case. All we can do is offer speculation.

Automatics are not designed with large heavy duty gears in their wind mechanism. Looking at how fine the teeth are in the 2824, I think it's best for the movement not to be wound manually anyway.

I never wind my autos manually. I'll just wear them or put them on a winder for about 20 minutes if I take the time. The Seiko 5 automatics are auto only, meaning they don't allow you to wind them at all manually. I have 3 of them and they all start very soon after being worn. They also have an amazing power reserve. I guess my point is to say: Don't be so concerned to think that you have to manually wind up your watch to have some reserve because you don't really need to.

I've got 5 autos to wear now. If I plan on wearing a different watch the next day I stick it on a winder for 30 minutes in the evening, set the date and wear it to bed. As long as it's on my wrist it will never require to be wound manually.

Take my Seiko 5 for example: It can't be wound manually. I wore it for 3 weeks when my new watch came in, another Seiko 5. I got it one morning and took off my other one and put it in it's box for safe keeping. The following evening after more than 36 hours of just sitting in a box, that watch was still running. I almost couldn't believe it. It will never stop as long as you're wearing it.

Russ
canajan
Senior
Senior

Post by canajan »

Gray C wrote: I have noticed that when winding the watch it has always been a little stiff compared to my other autos, but put this down to it being a different type of movement. However, when I wound it up today it was so stiff I was unable to fully wind it (I had not worn it for a few days). I also noticed it started to shudder slightly and could hear a whirring sound from inside the watch. It is also very difficult to push the crown in to tighten it up now.
My LE isn't stiff to wind. The shuddering and whirring also do not sound normal. It should not be hard to push in the crown.
Gray C wrote:I did not think it was possible to overwind the LE auto, correct me if I am wrong? Even so, I had only managed to wind it about 10 to 15 turns before it ceased.
The 2824-2 cannot be overwound so it should not seize. I'm pretty sure the movement is buggered. I would send it back to CWL to have the movement replaced.

I don't have a winder. If my watch stops from not wearing it, I hand-wind it about 30 times to make sure it is almost fully wound (I read somewhere that 2824-2's should be fully wound if they stop running. They are fully wound after between 30-40 turns) so that the power reserve is high. I think this is more efficient than standing there and shaking the watch for a few minutes. I have never had the crown seize on me from overwinding.
Gray C
Senior
Senior

Post by Gray C »

Sent a pm to Chris. The message is in the outbox at the moment, does that mean it has not been sent yet? problems problems. Perhaps he does not want my message :lol:
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Gray C wrote:Sent a pm to Chris. The message is in the outbox at the moment, does that mean it has not been sent yet? problems problems. Perhaps he does not want my message :lol:
A message still showing in the outbox has not been read yet. You would be far better off to email Chris directly at.....

Chris@christopherward.co.uk

or go thru customer service on the website.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
canajan
Senior
Senior

Post by canajan »

Kip wrote: [A message still showing in the outbox has not been read yet.
Umm, I think you 've got it backwards. A message in your INbox hasn't been read yet. A message sitting in the Outbox is waiting to be sent (usually waiting for the mail server if the message isn't automatically sent)...
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

Allow me to be more specific my good man.....

After you type your message and hit submit, a number 1 will show up on the left side next to outbox. This number remains until the recipient has read (opened) the message.

Is that better? :)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
canajan
Senior
Senior

Post by canajan »

Sorry Kip, but a (1) shown in the outbox doesn't mean the message hasn't been read by the recipient. It means the message is waiting to be sent. After it is sent, it shows up in the "Sent" folder.

Outlook doesn't know if a message has been read by the recipient (you can ask the receipient for confirmation, but this just means you will receive a "read" email when the email is opened by the recipient. It doesn't show up in the outbox)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

I was referring to the forum pm mailbox, not Outlook. I think one or both of us needs a treatment. Care to join me? :)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

canajan
Senior
Senior

Post by canajan »

Didn't notice that GrayC said he sent a pm. Guess I'm the one that needs treatment...
Gray C
Senior
Senior

Post by Gray C »

Glass of wine gentlemen? Shiraz for me please! :lol:

Still in the "Outbox" and not "Sent" However, I have sent him an email too, so he should get it one way or the other.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

canajan wrote:Didn't notice that GrayC said he sent a pm. Guess I'm the one that needs treatment...
Damn Canucks (I can say that, I was born in Nova Scotia), thick as us Irishman sometimes...... I guess I'll join you anyway. :D Can't hurt eh?
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Uncle Bill
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
Location: Mid-Sussex, just North of South Downs National Park

Post by Uncle Bill »

Dahn 'ere, me ol' lad, we sends a pidgun. If'n 'e don' get thru, we eats 'un...UB.. :fressen:
Let us hope all politicians are masochists, that they may truly enjoy our fondest wishes...
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Uncle Bill wrote:Dahn 'ere, me ol' lad, we sends a pidgun. If'n 'e don' get thru, we eats 'un...UB.. :fressen:
Yo Bill,

You sound like a good ole Pirate!

Russ
Gray C
Senior
Senior

Post by Gray C »

Kip wrote:
canajan wrote:Didn't notice that GrayC said he sent a pm. Guess I'm the one that needs treatment...
Damn Canucks (I can say that, I was born in Nova Scotia), thick as us Irishman sometimes...... I guess I'll join you anyway. :D Can't hurt eh?
Had a good holiday at Ponhook Lake (near Greenfield) in Nova Scotia a couple of years ago