It’s always CW!

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

It’s always CW!

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It’s happening again. A few years back I had several CWs and sold them all. A few others came and went, and I gradually built up to 5. One of those was sold earlier this week and another two are in the firing line.

They always seem to be early casualties when I have a consolidation period. This time, however, I am trying to reduce the collection on a more or less permanent basis. I still have two CWs that I consider keepers at the moment.

It seems I am attracted by them, especially when there’s a new release, sale or a promotion. They get worn regularly for a while then seem to be relegated pretty much to the box. This is especially true now that I have two watches that occupy the vast majority of my wrist time.

It’s not as if I dislike them, they are really nice watches. They just don’t get worn. :ka:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: It’s always CW!

Post by TheBeatles »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:It’s happening again. A few years back I had several CWs and sold them all. A few others came and went, and I gradually built up to 5. One of those was sold earlier this week and another two are in the firing line.

They always seem to be early casualties when I have a consolidation period. This time, however, I am trying to reduce the collection on a more or less permanent basis. I still have two CWs that I consider keepers at the moment.

It seems I am attracted by them, especially when there’s a new release, sale or a promotion. They get worn regularly for a while then seem to be relegated pretty much to the box. This is especially true now that I have two watches that occupy the vast majority of my wrist time.

It’s not as if I dislike them, they are really nice watches. They just don’t get worn. :ka:
Some very familiar points made and ones I can sympathise with. I have 8 CWs (4 quartz/4 auto). I have bought and sold a few in the past year or so.

Surprisingly, it’s a couple of my autos I’m thinking of flipping. I recently sold a JH, but buyer returned it as he said it was losing a lot of time. Secretly pleased, as its now soon to be returned from CW after being looked at. Plus, I probably sold it way too cheap. Really good looking watch. I also love my red/black Pro (a keeper), but rarely wear my green/white GMT so that will prob be flipped soon.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: It’s not as if I dislike them, they are really nice watches. They just don’t get worn. :ka:
Sounds familiar!

Just checked my records of what I have posted in the CW or non CW of the day threads this year. Whilst I have stopped posting everyday in these threads, I do make a point of posting in the CW thread if am wearing a CW at any point in the day. Looks like there have only been 24 CW postings. 17 from the 2 CWs that I do ever wear for more than a few hours at a time, with the remaining 7 being worn around the house for about an hour, either with a different strap, or because they were rarer CWs.

I don't dislike them; otherwise I wouldn't have bought them. Just have no reason to wear them in preference to the non CWs.

I think CW still make some decent watches, but buying in a promotion, NN, with a voucher or in a clearance is only a bargain if you end up wearing the watch.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

Steve, I was really surprised to see the MMXV LE up for sale as you were probably the driving force behind that being the winning choice, thus defeating the banana that I voted for - I feel cheated!!! :D
'Tis me
Amor Vincit Omnia

Understood, Phil, but I have to be dispassionate about these things. It really is time that the watches I’m not wearing were moved on.

I’m building the Vintage Vacheron fund! :D
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

My CW ownership started with two in quick succession.

Has been as high as seven or eight, dropped back to three and currently stands at four.

When selling, its never particularly been because they're not being worn but because there's something better or more preferable that I would like to buy.

Seems a pity that you need to be moving some on Steve/AVO but I can see the wisdom of a consolidation. Hope it works out for you.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Amor Vincit Omnia

Well, it’s not a complete divorce, Guy. I shall still keep the C3 Mk1 and the DBR1.

I’m not in any desperate hurry to sell, so hopefully somebody will come along eventually on this forum or another.

I may even be moving a couple of vintage watches on in the next little while.
Steve

stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

I have been in exactly the same boat as you Steve.
Your consolidation seems very sensible to me and I wish you good luck with the sales. Both very nice watches and will soon go I'm sure.
Unless you are happy to be and can afford to be a collector there seems little point having these things stashed away in a watch box.
Cheers now, Paul
kevin_b1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by kevin_b1 »

There is one thing for sure if anyone decides to buy either of AVO’s watches he has for sale they will be in first class condition and the communication second to none, a fine gentleman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
IWC Mark XVII
Rolex Oyster Datejust Perpetual (1971)
Rolex Precision 9ct gold (1962)
Rotary Les Originales
Rotary Tank
C9 5 day Chromometer
C1 Russell
Amor Vincit Omnia

Thank you Kevin and everyone else for your kind thoughts. I am still struck with the idea of ending up with a couple of very good modern watches for daily wear, a couple of fine vintages and a beater. I have quite a lot of that in place so it is a question of trimming down the other stuff.
Steve

atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

I'm lining up 1 or 2 watches of mine for the chop (to pay bills). I'm generally operating a last-in, first-out policy.
modenaonmymind

Post by modenaonmymind »

Does anyone have or know of a DBR1 for sale? I’d like one for my birthday