Discuss Christopher Ward watches
sibex
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Is it time for a CW Watch?

Post by sibex »

This might be quite a fun topic.

Everyone has a dodgy watch in their drawer (or is it just me?). The watch that makes you say, "Its time I bought a CW"

I've got loads!

Looking at the watch I've attached a picture of here is what made me order a c20.

Its a beautiful Fossil Big Tic, with digital dancing men to represent the seconds. It is a 40mm masterpiece with luminous hands. :D

Shocking but believe me, its not the worst watch I have. More to follow.....

androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Re: Is it time for a CW Watch?

Post by androo »

Umm, yes it's, well it's something
sibex
Senior
Senior

Post by sibex »

Hence the c20 on order! :-)
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

I've aired this dirty linen on here before, but here's just one of mine....

:)
Richard
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15
LE-foura: yes

Post by alphajet »

Remember the Lidl watches, this one is automatic and cost £14.99. Only wore it once, it was a how do they make them for that price moment. :D

No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

My watch habit started with this and now I almost never wear it. I believe Raketa have blacklisted the seller because of the dials that they graft onto the watches. I am torn between despising the seller for ruining a watch I'd not consider buying now and being grateful that I was daft enough to buy it and it was an introduction to this madness.
... and , as if that wasn't bad enough I bought this one because I think the Panther is the sexiest tank - ever. (I do still like this - 'guilty pleasure' or what?)

(Mortis - the truth is out - I'm not really a white goods fetishist - it's armoured fighting vehicles that float my boat)
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
richtea
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtea »

alphajet wrote:Remember the Lidl watches, this one is automatic and cost £14.99. Only wore it once, it was a how do they make them for that price moment. :D

Hi

Maybe its just me on this one but though the case and dial may not be to everyone's taste at that price they appear on the photo as better than they have a right to be
As an aside i am a big optics fan and can recall buying some £14.99 binoculars from Lidl and having a similar moment to yours about "how can they do this at the price"
Of course later on i realized after several Nikon Canon Pentax etc they were inferior but nonetheless brilliant at the price point

Regards
RichT
8 x C Ward
Assorted Swiss and
Japanese Quartz/Autos etc ...

Open the pod doors Hal !! :lol:
f1colin
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by f1colin »

That Lidl looks superb - I wish CW would put the date at 6 o'clock on the C5 and a few others (Trident??)

I thought I'd got rid of all my early watches, but lurking in my drawer is one from the digital era, a black rubber lcd Casio F-30. The interesting thing about that watch is that despite being a £5 watch, it came from of all places, the Benetton Formula 1 team and the reason is that back in the early 90's before F1 steering wheels looked like carbon fibre ps3 / X360 controllers, the drivers used to have an F-30 stuck to the middle of the steering wheel (honest)!! :oops:
f1colin

Rolex Sub, Oyster, Daytona
Tudor Black Bay, Big Block
Omega Dynamic, Speed, Speed 2, Speed 4.5, SM300
Heuer Monaco, Monza, Daytona, Silverstone, Autavia, Carrera, Calculator, Camaro, Montreal, Audi, Verona, 844, AMI, 1000
Seiko Pogue
watchlover1
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by watchlover1 »

Ive owned a couple of shockers in my time and still do....some I threw away years back while a few have stayed. The worst is a Guess watch I bought on impulse at Vegas airport. no proper box, a small cheap plastic thing...the watch is just tacky and looks ugly..its a square shape except they took the oversize concept a bit too far.Not proud but we all learn I guess :?
Citizen,Tag Heuer,Oris,Victorinox Swiss Army,Casio,G-Shock,Fossil, Guess
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I decided it was time for a CW last summer. I had bought a ladies watch as a present a couple of years earlier, so I was receiving the mags and keeping up with developments on the website. Then my gold Omega got dropped (well, I dropped it! :oops: ) and the Seamaster's bracelet pins became too dodgy to risk. Suddenly I was bereft of nice watches, and acquired a C8 and a DBR1 in quick succession. The madness stems from then! :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
xtriple
Forum gobshite

Post by xtriple »

I bought my C3 because of you lot. Seriously. I only heard the name because I went on the PistonHeads forum and somebody mentioned CW watches as being worthy, so I came on the forum to see what it was all about. Bought the C3 (at full priceGrrrr) as "a cheap way" into Christopher Ward watches just to see how they compared to other brands.

Wasn't really all that impressed to be frank, I thought the bracelet looked "Cheap" but once I'd bought a tan strap to go with it, it transformed the watch... and my opinion.

I would have bought a C60 but with the upcoming FLE I thought it best to wait as two similar watches was too much, even for me. So I'm waiting patiently for the FLE...

Of course, the legendary customer service has swayed me: wanting a C13 with none available and the awesome Wera acquiring one for me from spares, has made me a commited owner. To my certain knowledge, three people have bought CW watches due to seeing mine and hearing of how fabulous the company is. A friend bought a C60 Trident GMT in the copper colour that I really want - the b'stard! Sure he only bought it to pee me off :löl:
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
sibex
Senior
Senior

Post by sibex »

Well how about the little beauty below:
This is a gorgeous piece my dad bought me, as he owned one too. He must have misheard me when he asked if I liked his and I answered "no, its bloody awful tac".
So now I own an Oskar Emil. Yep, I've never heard of them either.
If anyone wants to buy it, it is in perfect condition and will help me fund my next CW. Apart from its obvious use as a watch, it can also used as a woman deterant and an expellant! Bonus.

xtriple
Forum gobshite

Post by xtriple »

I sort of, I mean, in a platonic way, quite like that :oops:
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
sibex
Senior
Senior

Post by sibex »

To be fair, I think the face is nice... its just the "gold".... *shudders* .. It actually looks better in the picture.
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jmarchitect »

Interesting topic and one I am happy to contribute to. Let me do it in easy steps though, starting with this picture of my collection...

Not long after I got into collecting mechanical watches, my mother in law bought me a christmas present and had it delivered straight to the house. It arrived in a watch box sized package and I became mildly excited. Then I reminded myself that I am an awkward bugger to please and prepared myself for a let-down...

Nearer to the day, I became the proud owner of my Vixa Type 1 (bottom right in the picture above), an early present to myself and thoughts of what might be in the box left my head. On christmas eve, I handled the package and the thoughts returned. It was a heavy package and I recall thinking it is bound to be okay, isn't it? I mean, anything of this weight must be ok?

On christmas day, I saved this box to last and after the socks, scent, chocolates, etc, I opened the box to reveal this...

Lovely. Truly. Lovely. :evil: