Is it possible my brand new Abyss SH21 needs repair?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
snookssec
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 10

Is it possible my brand new Abyss SH21 needs repair?

Post by snookssec »

Good day all! It's been a very long time since I posted but I have a strange issue I'm hoping someone can provide some insight. I received my Abyss SH21 on 12/1 and absolutely LOVE this watch. That said, there is something that I noticed that I don't know if (and I know this is probably stupid) a break-in period is required or if there is something wrong with the watch that requires servicing not less than 2 weeks after receiving it. Specifically, it runs ~14 seconds slow. As it's COSC certified, shouldn't it be within the -4/+6 tolerance right out of the box? I will be really upset if I have to ship this back to the UK after receiving it. The last time I sent a watch to CW for repair was in 2020 and it was a disaster (long story...TL;DR: Required two attempts and cost me $400 USD in shipping).

I appreciate any input and Happy Holidays everyone!

Mike
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 25
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Is it possible my brand new Abyss SH21 needs repair?

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Welcome back.

A few suggestions for you.

How much Power Reserve have you got as the SH21 runs most accurately with 3+ days PR? Any less and it has a habit of going slow.

Alternatively, maybe it has become magnetised during shipping (x-ray scanner, perhaps).

Maybe it just needs to settle down. Try wearing it consistently for a few days, making sure the PR is topped up.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
snookssec
C1 GBT-JH| C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB-FLE-Revival| C7 Apex| C7 MkI 47AD| C8 Revival
C8 Reg LE| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 Al Deere| C9 FLE| C9 Me109 SPC LE| C11 Mak Navy| C40
C60 FLEx2| C60 Bronze GMT| C60 Abyss SH21-Apex-Blue-Chrono-Concept-Elite P'type |C65 AMGT 2VEV
snookssec
Junior
Junior

Post by snookssec »

Guy:

Thanks for the response! Wow...I feel stupid about not even thinking about the magnetized option. I do have a demagnetizer and will give that a go right away. To answer your other question, for the first week I kept the PR full. Then, I had the crazy idea, maybe it needs to run down completely and be rewound. I was wearing it everyday all day for the first week.

Thank you so very much for the thoughtful response. I'll let you know if the demagnetization process does the trick in a few days.

Mike
These users thanked the author snookssec for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
MikeyT100
Senior
Senior

Post by MikeyT100 »

I'd like to know how you get on with this! I know many watches do need to settle down. Do keep this thread informed!
These users thanked the author MikeyT100 for the post:
snookssec
snookssec
Junior
Junior

Post by snookssec »

Quick update: I performed the demagnetization last night, fully wound the watch, and set the time. I am running about 10-11 seconds behind. I will give it another week and hope it "settles in" and will report back the status.

Mike
exHowfener
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Given you past experience, I'd be tempted to see if it "settles down":

Last year I bought a used but immaculate Seiko Alpinist. I wore it intermittently for a few weeks at a time and it was running fast by 3-4 minutes a day. I started wearing it constantly at the end of October and if has now become superbly accurate.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
snookssec
Junior
Junior

Post by snookssec »

That gives me hope, exHowfener, thanks!
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

snookssec wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:38 pm Guy:

Thanks for the response! Wow...I feel stupid about not even thinking about the magnetized option. I do have a demagnetizer and will give that a go right away. To answer your other question, for the first week I kept the PR full. Then, I had the crazy idea, maybe it needs to run down completely and be rewound. I was wearing it everyday all day for the first week.

Thank you so very much for the thoughtful response. I'll let you know if the demagnetization process does the trick in a few days.

Mike
Oh I do that too! :lol: :lol:
C60 MKI COSC black, MKI black GMT,
C60 MKII Day Date LE, GMT White, LE SH21 x2, ACAN, Bronze Ombre LE,
C60 MKIII Ombre COSC, Elite 1000 GMT, Concept
C6 K'fisher x6,
C60 K'fisher x3
C600 Tritech x 3,
C63 Elite
C65 Anthropocene. Blue h/w,
thomcat00
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by thomcat00 »

Try resting the watch overnight in different positions. Sometimes being either crown or face up/down can make a difference in performance. Orientation is considered when COSC testing and the movement must meet timing criteria in 5 different positions to certify.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Imho settling in period is a load of tosh.
magnetism generally causes a watch to run very fast not slow.
Sadly my bet is it will need returning and another case of QC not being up to scratch.
Cheers now, Paul
snookssec
Junior
Junior

Post by snookssec »

stefs wrote:Imho settling in period is a load of tosh.
magnetism generally causes a watch to run very fast not slow.
Sadly my bet is it will need returning and another case of QC not being up to scratch.
I was hoping this wasn’t the case…sadly after waking up and seeing it 23 seconds behind I fear you are correct. Thanks for the post. I’m going to reach out to CW to see what they say. I’ll KYAP.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snookssec
Junior
Junior

Post by snookssec »

Just following up as promised. Played Voicemail tag with CW support. I received a call back the other day advising me to make sure my watch was fully wound but if the issue persisted I could send it to them and they would take a look at it. My current plan is to let the watch completely drain its reserve, wind it fully, and then try again for a couple of days. If it persists guess it has to make a trip back across the pond for service. Such a bummer.

Stay tuned...
snookssec
Junior
Junior

Post by snookssec »

Keeping the watch fully wound at all times did not help. Additionally, it seems like the loss is getting worse (now ~ -26 seconds/day) and CW wants to get the watch back for inspection/repair. It’s very disappointing I have to send it back 1 month after receiving it, however, this time at least they arranged for DHL to pick it up!

The last time I sent in a watch (C9 5 Day Auto needed repair) I had to send it twice because the first time I sent via the USPS (as requested by CW) and it sat in customs for 10 days and then it was shipped back to me. At least I won’t have that stress to worry about this time. Unfortunately it looks like I’ll be without the watch for approx 8-9 weeks.

#sadpanda

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cwa
Junior
Junior

Post by cwa »

Sorry to read this.
Very disappointing given it’s the SH21.
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Probably little consolation to you but I suppose every manufacturer has the odd 'dud' coming off the production line. It's the % of duds that is a better measurement of quality...
These users thanked the author Qbert for the post:
David. S