I think I'm DONE with Sellita movements

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
bonecrusher
Senior
Senior
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:39 pm
CW-watches: 2

Re: I think I'm DONE with Sellita movements

Post by bonecrusher »

Coming back to the original issue, the crowns on my CWs have always wound in very nicely. I had a slightly gritty Seiko turtle, popped a tiny amount of WD40 on the crown thread and it's perfect.
James

CW Trident mk3
CW AMGT 2VEV
Sinn 103 a sa b
Too many Seikos
Richardod64
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:39 pm

Re: I think I'm DONE with Sellita movements

Post by Richardod64 »

I'm in exactly the same boat I really like the C60 Trident Pro 300 which would be both my first Auto and CW watch , so I have been trying to do as much research as possible before I buy.
I would rather pay the extra and have a C60 Trident Pro 300 with a Sellita SW200 COSC movement if that was possible.
I wish there wasn't so much negativity surrounding the SW200-1 movement it's really putting me off.
I have the same issue with the Twelve , I know you can get them in Ti with Sellita SW300-1 COSC movements but I don't like the colours available.
Really in a pickle here now.
JGA1962 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:09 pm I would like to order a C60 Trident Pro 300, but the SW200-1 movement is a deal killer. A lame 38 hours of power reserve, +-20 seconds of accuracy, gritty winding, and broken gears from hand winding seem to be the main issues with this movement. The CW cases, dials, and bracelets appear to be very high quality for a $1000 watch, but this Sellita movement ruins the entire package. Not to mention that just about any service of this movement is going to cost more than a brand new one (especially if you have to pay for two-way shipping back to England). I would rather pay $1500 for a CW watch with a much better movement.

I’ve been collecting watches for 25 years. I have many Omega, JLC, Grand Seiko, etc. I’ve been hand winding my Omega watches for 20 years and none of them have broken winding gears or feel gritty. I recently purchased a Longines Zulu Time true-GMT watch that winds like butter, has 72 hours of power reserve, and +1 sec/day accuracy. I guess I’m expecting too much from a $1000 watch.

JGA
User avatar
Bahnstormer_vRS
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34240
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:06 pm
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: I think I'm DONE with Sellita movements

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@Richardod64 - Welcome aboard Richard. :wave:

Let me try and help you sort out your being in a pickle.

Objectively, if you read through the full length of this thread you'll find plenty of positive and 'happy customer' comments about the SW200-1, remembering it is human nature that one is more likely to complain than praise on a subject, that should give you the confidence to buy.

Remember also that the movement is only one element to a watch and it's overall feel and look on your wrist.

Why not give CW the chance to convince you? :wink: :wink:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 4232
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:59 pm

Re: I think I'm DONE with Sellita movements

Post by JAFO »

A different solution but all of this is why I would sooner have a push pull crown, and maybe a manual wind movement. I've never had a problem winding a manual movement, and I've never had a problem pushing a push pull crown back in.
Richardod64
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:39 pm

Re: I think I'm DONE with Sellita movements

Post by Richardod64 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:52 pm @Richardod64 - Welcome aboard Richard. :wave:

Thanks Guy - oh they have already convinced me , now it's just a question of getting the right watches.

I wanted to buy one ( present to myself) an everyday watch C60 Trident Pro 300 sometime around Christmas
and a second which will be a Sixtieth birhday present from the family next April really like the Twelve my ideal combination would be a Ti in Glacier Blue its just the fact both the watches i like currently carry the Sellita SW200-1 is the worry
I did enquire if there was any plans to change the momement in both watches and the answer was not at this time
I'll get there in the end it's just that CW make so many beautiful watches it's hard choosing and as these are not every day purchases I want to make sure I get it right .
I can feel a visit to the factory coming on :D
User avatar
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:09 pm
CW-watches: 1
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: I think I'm DONE with Sellita movements

Post by MichaelMD »

Richardod64 wrote:I'm in exactly the same boat I really like the C60 Trident Pro 300 which would be both my first Auto and CW watch , so I have been trying to do as much research as possible before I buy.
I would rather pay the extra and have a C60 Trident Pro 300 with a Sellita SW200 COSC movement if that was possible.
I wish there wasn't so much negativity surrounding the SW200-1 movement it's really putting me off.
I have the same issue with the Twelve , I know you can get them in Ti with Sellita SW300-1 COSC movements but I don't like the colours available.
Really in a pickle here now.
JGA1962 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:09 pm I would like to order a C60 Trident Pro 300, but the SW200-1 movement is a deal killer. A lame 38 hours of power reserve, +-20 seconds of accuracy, gritty winding, and broken gears from hand winding seem to be the main issues with this movement. The CW cases, dials, and bracelets appear to be very high quality for a $1000 watch, but this Sellita movement ruins the entire package. Not to mention that just about any service of this movement is going to cost more than a brand new one (especially if you have to pay for two-way shipping back to England). I would rather pay $1500 for a CW watch with a much better movement.

I’ve been collecting watches for 25 years. I have many Omega, JLC, Grand Seiko, etc. I’ve been hand winding my Omega watches for 20 years and none of them have broken winding gears or feel gritty. I recently purchased a Longines Zulu Time true-GMT watch that winds like butter, has 72 hours of power reserve, and +1 sec/day accuracy. I guess I’m expecting too much from a $1000 watch.

JGA
OP here. Since starting this thread I picked up a Trident Pro 300 Bronze with the COSC SW200-1 and so far have been very impressed. It has kept terrific time at +3.2 sec/day. I measured the power reserve at ~40 hours, so slighly better than the stated numbers. This crown has worked out WAY better than my previous non-COSC CW watches. I still back turn it before screwing it down just to hopefully avoid any cross threading issues in the future. So all-in-all Christopher Ward is winning me back. This watch has been everything they've advertised. Hopefully they've corrected some of the crown issues I experienced in the past. So far the results are positive.
Image

Sent from my SM-X710 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author MichaelMD for the post (total 2):
iainMiniMpi
Richardod64
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:39 pm

Re: I think I'm DONE with Sellita movements

Post by Richardod64 »

Thats what I can't understand - why can't there be an option of the COSC SW200-1 in all C60 Trident Pro 300 varients
These users thanked the author Richardod64 for the post:
Tricky17
User avatar
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:09 pm
CW-watches: 1
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: I think I'm DONE with Sellita movements

Post by MichaelMD »

Richardod64 wrote:Thats what I can't understand - why can't there be an option of the COSC SW200-1 in all C60 Trident Pro 300 varients
It does seem like they like to save it for special editions for some reason. I can tell you I love the bronze. I know bronze isn't for everyone, but they absolutely nailed it with this design.

Sent from my SM-X710 using Tapatalk

Richardod64
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:39 pm

Re: I think I'm DONE with Sellita movements

Post by Richardod64 »

I thought what i wanted could be ordered through the bespoke sevice but it couldn't
I'll still probably get a blue 40mm C60 Trident Pro around Christmas time and if that has no problems get a Twelve in April
CW make so many beautiful watches but those two are my favourites
User avatar
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:09 pm
CW-watches: 1
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: I think I'm DONE with Sellita movements

Post by MichaelMD »

Richardod64 wrote:I thought what i wanted could be ordered through the bespoke sevice but it couldn't
I'll still probably get a blue 40mm C60 Trident Pro around Christmas time and if that has no problems get a Twelve in April
CW make so many beautiful watches but those two are my favourites
I mean a chonometer is nice, but having the standard version only wouldn't prevent me from getting it. The Trident Pro 300 is a terrific watch. As I've mentioned elsewhere, it's one of the few watches I've bought where honestly I can't think of anything about the design I would change. It's close to perfection in terms of the design and style.

Sent from my SM-X710 using Tapatalk

User avatar
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2966
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:56 pm
CW-watches: 5
Location: New England, US

Re: I think I'm DONE with Sellita movements

Post by rkovars »

I don't think I have added this to the current thread but I have mentioned it before. I think CW operates this way for a combination of reasons. First, like @MichaelMD said they use COSC movements to further differentiate the LE and top models in a line. Second, CW keeps a very tight control on parts inventory which translates to they wouldn't want to have unused movements sitting in inventory waiting for someone to buy them. Third, it may also be the case that CW can only source the COSC movements in smaller quantities from Sellita.

@Richardod64 to be clear I think it would be possible to get a COSC option through the bespoke program but you would need enough 'friends' to meet the minimum buy (the number determined by the MOQ for COSC movements for CW). Just wanted to be clear in case someone stumbles on the thread in the future.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post