How to find out which movement

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Jttuck
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

How to find out which movement

Post by Jttuck »

There are many CW models which have two possible movements (i.e. ETA 2824-2 or Sellita SW200-1) and I am wondering if Christopher sends some sort of documentation informing the owner which one was installed during manufacturing. I am curious if there is any way of knowing which movement is in your watch without cracking it open.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: How to find out which movement

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Jttuck wrote:There are many CW models which have two possible movements (i.e. ETA 2824-2 or Sellita SW200-1) and I am wondering if Christopher sends some sort of documentation informing the owner which one was installed during manufacturing. I am curious if there is any way of knowing which movement is in your watch without cracking it open.
You would probably be able to see which one by looking through the windowed back unless it has a solid back. ETA puts their marking below and just to the right of the balance on the base plate. It is visible but you might need a loop to magnify it. I’ve heard this question often and I don’t know what to tell you. If it’s going to sway your decision that's too bad. Myself, I’m not a bit least concerned which one ends up in the watch I have on order. I believe one is just as well made and as good as the other. Sellita uses one extra jewel. What does that tell you? The two movements are mechanically identical. So, either ETA is deficient in one jewel needed for a bearing or Sellita is wasting one where it’s not needed. I think I just might prefer the Sellita. I would rather have a waisted jewel than a movement lacking one for some bearing. The bigger picture is that you’ll be getting a Swiss made watch with a Swiss made movement. Realize also, that Sellita supplies ETA with some parts, not sure what exactly.
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Mortis »

Just to follow up on what Russ said, the extra jewel in the Sellita adds a couple of hours to the power reserve. Apart from that they really are virtually identical.

I wouldn't worry which I got. Some brands are scraping the barrel for ETAs at the moment and some low-grade stuff is appearing... and your ETA might be a Sellita anyway as they used to make 2824s in their factory under subcontract!
Jttuck
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by Jttuck »

Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate your answers. To be honest the question was more birthed out of curiosity than it was out of concern. ETA does have the history and the mystique, but like you were saying the movements are basically identical in operation. However, I would be lying if I didn't say there is some part of me, no matter how small it is, that would like to know which one was in my watch. That same little part of me might begrudgingly admit that it would be slightly pleased to have the ETA installed. In the end knowing which one is installed wouldn't impact my choice one way or the other.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Mortis wrote:Just to follow up on what Russ said, the extra jewel in the Sellita adds a couple of hours to the power reserve. Apart from that they really are virtually identical.

I wouldn't worry which I got. Some brands are scraping the barrel for ETAs at the moment and some low-grade stuff is appearing... and your ETA might be a Sellita anyway as they used to make 2824s in their factory under subcontract!
What is your theory :klugscheisser: on how the extra jewel adds to the power reserve? Where is this extra jewel being used exactly?

These smilies can be fun.:cooler:

Russ
Tor Billon
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by Tor Billon »

Example pic showing the location of the ETA stamp on a C15

a (25) by Andy 1st, on Flickr