how smooth is your sweep?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jayb1907
Senior
Senior

how smooth is your sweep?

Post by jayb1907 »

I really don't understand but my second hand on my c60 seems juddery when I look at it sometimes but other times it's smooth.
Can anyone she'd any light on why this might be or why this could be happening. Or even if others are doin it.
reggie747
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Re: how smooth is your sweep?

Post by reggie747 »

With all respect, it's probably you that is seeing it different, not the mechanism :)
Fluffy cuddly kittens and little puppy dogs.......????
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

An automatic is not really smooth. It will "tick" are 8 beats per second rather than 1 beat per second for a quartz. TA movements are generally 28,800 BPH which is 8 BPS. The 8 beats give it an illusion of smoothness but depending on how you are looking at it you can see the 8 beats which causes it to look a little jerky.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
jayb1907
Senior
Senior

Post by jayb1907 »

Ahh rite ok I see, fair enough. Just the way I'm seeing it then obviously ha. Not a problem I just wondered. Thanks for that
Lewis
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Lewis »

If you are looking for a smoother sweep, there are answers. Most affable is the bulova precisionist, this is a quartz movement but beats at twice the rate of our c60's, 16 times a second. For a bit more the zenith el primero movement beats at 36000 beats per hour. And last but still pricey of my suggestions is the Seiko spring drive movement. Spring drive is a kind of a hybrid movement. A mechanical automatic with a quartz to regulate. This movement has a perfect sweep. Really amazing to see in person. with the bonus of the precision of a quartz movement.
Lewis

Omega Speedmaster 1861
Karl Falk Automatik black dial
C60 Trident Black bezel mk1 2nd gen logo (warranty swapped out my original charcoal bezel)
Seiko New Gen Orange Monster
Seiko Pogue-ish 6139-6009 resist notched
7ee
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by 7ee »

jayb1907 wrote:I really don't understand but my second hand on my c60 seems juddery when I look at it sometimes but other times it's smooth.
Can anyone she'd any light on why this might be or why this could be happening. Or even if others are doin it.
You're right, it does vary.

The more I drink, the smoother the sweep appears. It's a sunny Sunday so I'm guessing this may be the reason? :D
jayb1907
Senior
Senior

Post by jayb1907 »

Exactly right, I watched a vid on the bulova precisionist and looked really really smooth. However looked very garish... my opinion obvs. But yeah I was going to say there seem to be others that are smoother however it doesn't bother me if its how it's supposed to be.
Few bottles of vino should do the trick Ay
MattC
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by MattC »

My C60 can appear smooth but can also appear 'jerky'. It comes down to the light and the angle you are looking at it from. It certainly isn't down to inconsistent running because it runs with phenomenal accuracy - currently running one second behind since the watch was reset in March for British summer time
MkI C60 Chronometer
MkII C60
Orient Mako Diver
GMT Master II 116710BLNR
Submariner 116610LV
Samsung fit smartwatch thingy
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I agree on the over-the-top looks of the Precisionist, but Bulova is releasing the new Accutron series this year with the new smaller Precisionist movement in more traditional looking cases.
Other options for smooth movements include Seiko 'Hi-Beat' movements at 36000 bph (the same rate as the El-Primero), and vintage 300Hz 'hummer' movements from Omega, Bulova and probably others.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.