How often do you see strangers wearing a CW?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1840
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:57 pm
CW-watches: 3
Location: London

Re: How often do you see strangers wearing a CW?

Post by Leo David »

Attended a large work meeting yesterday and sitting around a huge boardroom oval table I was idly gazing into the near distance gathering my thoughts when I'm sure I must have performed a cartoon style double take as I suddenly noticed the chap more or less opposite me was wearing a C20. I think it was more obvious because I was wearing my newly acquired C2 - mine was better looking and newer :D I couldn't help saying to myself "bloody cheek", what's HE doing wearing the same (in design) watch as me. I couldn't resist a word with him afterwards. Apparently it was a 40th birthday present from his wife. So there you go. The answer to your original question is once, but it did prompt another question in my head: how many CW watches have been sold? Anyone know the answer? LD
User avatar
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
Posts: 2932
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:48 pm
CW-watches: 12
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
Location: Surrey

Re: How often do you see strangers wearing a CW?

Post by Mortis »

Leo David wrote:...but it did prompt another question in my head: how many CW watches have been sold? Anyone know the answer?
See page two of this very topic:
Mortis wrote:This comes up now and then:
http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... f=1&t=5047
Summary: best guess is probably around the 40k mark since inception. CWL sold around 15,000 last year.
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1840
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:57 pm
CW-watches: 3
Location: London

Re: How often do you see strangers wearing a CW?

Post by Leo David »

Thank you Mortis. I missed that on page 2. I should have known the answer would lie somewhere deep in the annals of this forum. It is a font of knowledge. I had assumed it must be several thousand units per year or the business could hardly survive but I hadn't expected such high numbers. Good luck to Mr Ward and well done to him. LD
User avatar
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 7789
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:15 am
Location: Top secret hollow Volcano. Kent UK

Re: How often do you see strangers wearing a CW?

Post by Dancematt »

Hello all,

Didnt quite see someone wearing a CW today but one being sold - the first one i've ever seen in the wild not owned by me.....it was a steel C3 malvern chrono on bracelet, a watch i never used to like until i looked at it in the flesh today, it looked great and was being sold for......£60 :shock:

I would have bought it but i'd already spent all my pocket money :(
I miss all the great things that may never be.
User avatar
Grommit
Expert
Expert
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:04 am
CW-watches: 2
Location: Bedfordshire, UK

Re: How often do you see strangers wearing a CW?

Post by Grommit »

Dancematt wrote:Hello all,

Didnt quite see someone wearing a CW today but one being sold - the first one i've ever seen in the wild not owned by me.....it was a steel C3 malvern chrono on bracelet, a watch i never used to like until i looked at it in the flesh today, it looked great and was being sold for......£60 :shock:

I would have bought it but i'd already spent all my pocket money :(
Where was it being sold? Probably quite rare to see one being sold "in the wild" and not on ebay or such.
C15 Henley
C8 Vintage
Bulova Precisionist Claremont
Omega Seamaster Professional
Omega Planet Ocean

Want - C8 Mk1 black & tan, C70 DBR1

"....or wonder 'til it drives you mad, what would have followed if you had."
User avatar
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
Posts: 2932
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:48 pm
CW-watches: 12
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
Location: Surrey

Re: How often do you see strangers wearing a CW?

Post by Mortis »

I'd have bought it anyway at that price as you'd get at least twice that on a bracelet on here (and nearer to three times on the bay of evil).
markuk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 601
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:35 pm
CW-watches: 5

Re: How often do you see strangers wearing a CW?

Post by markuk »

Well I just showed my sistering law who contributed to my 40th ( C60 ) and she is from Oz and she knows of CW due to the man in her office who also is a CW watch fan..
User avatar
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 7789
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:15 am
Location: Top secret hollow Volcano. Kent UK

Re: How often do you see strangers wearing a CW?

Post by Dancematt »

Mortis wrote:I'd have bought it anyway at that price as you'd get at least twice that on a bracelet on here (and nearer to three times on the bay of evil).
Was a no box, no papers deal and bracelet was scratched on the first few 'big' links - still - wanted to buy it as its value exceeds the asking price but i couldn't get any more money out of the **** bloody mobile ATM's!

If i ever said a bad word about the C3 i take it all back having seen it in person.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
User avatar
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 4999
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:30 pm
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: How often do you see strangers wearing a CW?

Post by Loddonite »

AdamRobinson1982 wrote:Hi Gents

Couldnt believe it today... was strolling down Bow Lane in London walking past restraunt and noticed a bloke facing the window with what looked like a C70! Now i recognised it easily but the bazel looked bright like the C70 DBR1 the preorder model..!

Couldnt be could it?!

Had to post as rarely see CWL in the wild... suspect will see even less CHR Ward... (although kept out of that I have enjoyed the reading!)

Cheers!
Fixed that for ya!
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Image
User avatar
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2080
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:15 pm
CW-watches: 1
Location: Brandywine Maryland, USA

Re: How often do you see strangers wearing a CW?

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Loddonite wrote:
AdamRobinson1982 wrote:Hi Gents

Couldnt believe it today... was strolling down Bow Lane in London walking past restraunt and noticed a bloke facing the window with what looked like a C70! Now i recognised it easily but the bazel looked bright like the C70 DBR1 the preorder model..!

Couldnt be could it?!

Had to post as rarely see CWL in the wild... suspect will see even less CHR Ward... (although kept out of that I have enjoyed the reading!)

Cheers!
Fixed that for ya!
Fixed what? This is a topic which began back in April. I guess most were sold in the UK. Here in the good ole US of A you mostly see: Made in China, even the autos but never really. I know of at least one person with a CWL and one on the way, ME! :lol:
User avatar
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 4999
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:30 pm
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: How often do you see strangers wearing a CW?

Post by Loddonite »

Russ-Shettle wrote: I know of at least one person with a CWL and one on the way, ME! :lol:
Yes, but to qualify for this thread you have to be a stranger... what exactly are you a stranger than?
Be careful now...


... and my fix was to bring the post into the topic I felt it belonged.
... and give the topic a bump.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Image
User avatar
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2080
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:15 pm
CW-watches: 1
Location: Brandywine Maryland, USA

Re: How often do you see strangers wearing a CW?

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Loddonite wrote:
Russ-Shettle wrote: I know of at least one person with a CWL and one on the way, ME! :lol:
Yes, but to qualify for this thread you have to be a stranger... what exactly are you a stranger than?
Be careful now...


... and my fix was to bring the post into the topic I felt it belonged.
... and give the topic a bump.
Let's see.... my friends know me better than I do??? therefor, I'm a stranger un to myself, yes? no? Hell, I don't know. Kip, bring me some more meds to nock me out. This person's bothering me...... :lol:
User avatar
Aesculapius
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:20 am
CW-watches: 5
Location: London

Re: How often do you see strangers wearing a CW?

Post by Aesculapius »

I met someone wearing a very new C11 Auto at work a few days back and almost did a classic cartoon-style double-take! :lol:

Inevitably we (briefly) ended up talking about watches, although that wasn't really the subject at hand and we had to get back on-topic fairly quickly.

That was the first time I've ever seen a definite CW in the wild. I say that only because I once thought I'd seen a black C4 on the Tube one day but wasn't sure at the time.
User avatar
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2889
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:10 am
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes
Location: Chesterfield

Re: How often do you see strangers wearing a CW?

Post by mabotham »

Never seen any others out there... Ever!
Most have never heard of CW that is getting more odd as even the Sunday mail live mag seems to show them.
User avatar
Jammy Devil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1971
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:53 am
CW-watches: 3
LE-three: yes

Re: How often do you see strangers wearing a CW?

Post by Jammy Devil »

I spotted my first CWL in the wild about four weeks ago. It was a Matisse being worn by the lady sitting next to me on the plane, waiting to fly home from France. I was wearing my C20, so we had a little chat about CWL watches. :)
Post Reply