How are your watches ageing?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

How are your watches ageing?

Post by watchstudent »

Have your CWs been ageing well? do people have some watches that were from CWs first range? I think my romantic plan is to keep my watches (when I get them) indefinitely, so ageing well is a must! I reckon I'd love a trident with that electric blue bezel at some point, bit worried that awesome colour would fade though.

Obviously pics would be lovely!
Victorinox Inox, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Seiko PADI Turtle
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: How are your watches ageing?

Post by Cirrus »

My C5A2 seems more prone to scuffs than any of my other watches - either the brushed finish or the height of it means the bezel is looking a bit shabby after 2 years of ownership :(

--
Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
reggie747
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by reggie747 »

I'd love a trident with that electric blue bezel at some point, bit worried that awesome colour would fade though
Good point indeed. They've not really been around long enough to suss that out yet (unless someone chimes in with one they've worn daily since its launch I guess) ?
Fluffy cuddly kittens and little puppy dogs.......????
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Just a thought, but watches owned by forum members may tend to wear better because:

a. They may get less wrist time owing to their being part of (sometimes large) collections/rotations.

b. They belong to people who probably take greater care of them than the average one-watch Joe.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
HendrixGreen
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by HendrixGreen »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Just a thought, but watches owned by forum members may tend to wear better because:

a. They may get less wrist time owing to their being part of (sometimes large) collections/rotations.

b. They belong to people who probably take greater care of them than the average one-watch Joe.
You've got a good point here. Polish my watch, with a light cloth each day. OCD maybe :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hendrix Green
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchstudent »

What are your top tips for keeping a watch looking all shiney and lovely then? I will def be an OCD type cleaner of it...
Richard B
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by Richard B »

watchstudent wrote:What are your top tips for keeping a watch looking all shiney and lovely then?
Don't wear it! :lol:
So I wish I was James Bond, just for the day.
Kissing all the girls, blow the bad guys away.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

watchstudent wrote:What are your top tips for keeping a watch looking all shiney and lovely then? I will def be an OCD type cleaner of it...
Best way is to keep buying more! The more you get, the less hours they have per year!

Look at Kip, HVS etc. Their watches must have have fewer hours on them than Concorde! :D

If you are not a total nutter such as the above and want to avoid the dreaded fromage, then a toddlers toothbrush and shower gel works wonders, or just wear em in the shower!

Word of caution, the above is fine for bracelets or silicon straps. Be a bit more circumspect if you have leather straps as they do not like to get too wet too often

Leather car seat nourishing/feed wipes work well with the straps.
Monaco73
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by Monaco73 »

My Wife raises this question with me all the time following a conversation with my Dad about my nagging her for wearing her Yachtmaster to death (literally). I want all of my watches to look new whereas their view is that if you love a watch, wear it all the time and let it experience the knocks of life.

I cherish all of my watches regardless of value so treat my CW C70 Monte Carlo the same as my C60 and C900MP. Perhaps I shouldn't and happiness lies in relaxing a bit :-)

Oh well, my minor OCD has it's merits for the next owners I'm sure.

B
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchstudent »

smegwina wrote:
watchstudent wrote:What are your top tips for keeping a watch looking all shiney and lovely then? I will def be an OCD type cleaner of it...
Best way is to keep buying more! The more you get, the less hours they have per year!

Look at Kip, HVS etc. Their watches must have have fewer hours on them than Concorde! :D

If you are not a total nutter such as the above and want to avoid the dreaded fromage, then a toddlers toothbrush and shower gel works wonders, or just wear em in the shower!

Word of caution, the above is fine for bracelets or silicon straps. Be a bit more circumspect if you have leather straps as they do not like to get too wet too often

Is this for real?! wash them with normal soap...
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

watchstudent wrote:
smegwina wrote:

Is this for real?! wash them with normal soap...
Those of mine without leather are subjected to my singing in the shower, and the occasional brushing as above.

The leather clad ones I either clean with a baby wipe/damp kitchen towel, or with a damp cotton bud. This avoids the need to soak the strap.Every now and then the leather straps come off and they are given a good going over. The CW quick release straps make this a breeze.

I am not as fastidious as many on here though, and others will have different regimes!
peter160866
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by peter160866 »

Interesting thread. I wear my CW everyday C10 mk1 Aviator. Love it. Seams to be slight mark at 12 o'clock on bezel and slight scratch at 4 o'clock :-( but this is down to me I think. As case is brushed finish guess these can't be polished out ? Will post piccies at w/e
C60 - Khaki, Early Malvern, 2015 LE, C10 Aviator, Jump Hour, Black Trident Vintage
BBNG
Junior
Junior

Post by BBNG »

I don't own any CWs yet, but when I do I will definitely take utmost care for it. I have a Tissot Couturier, beautiful watch, but I have been rather clumsy with it. It has two small 'dents' on the outer bezel, and a minor scratch at the 12. Not the toughest of SS.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Although any single CWL watch I own may not get the usage that many of yours do, they all get worn. Aside from some minor touch ups to some cases and bracelets with a Cape Cod cloth or a scratch pen, only my C4, which I use as a beater and my C60 bracelet (new style) have received a complete polishing.

This I consider normal and is no reflection on quality.

As for the questions on cleaning.....

An opportunity to revisit body cheese and body cheese redux.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Robin CB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Robin CB »

I bought my C5 Malvern in 2008 and it gets more wear than any other. In fact it has become a bit of a beater now.

It still looks pretty good, with only a couple of small scuffs showing on the brushed finish.

Hell - I have just realised that it is out of guarantee :shock: