Have you ever seen a CW in the wild?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
koimaster
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Have you ever seen a CW in the wild?

Post by koimaster »

I for one never have but then again the brand is not well known in the US. I have also never seen a Maurice Lacroix, Bremont or many others. I have seen a lot of low end watches which come in yellow boxes and apple wrist warmers.

In all the years I have worn watches which is well over 60 years now, only once, in a store on the coast has anyone commented on a watch I was wearing. That person was a retired watchmaker who had worked for Zenith for most of his career and the watch was a ML Reveil Globe . Otherwise, never. perhaps others have different experiences.
These users thanked the author koimaster for the post:
strapline

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Have you ever seen a CW in the wild?

Post by jkbarnes »

CWs are hard to come by here in the states! Here’s a thread covering similar ground:

How often do you see strangers wearing a CW?
Andrew
“I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it.”

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
Or follow my photography on Instagram @jkbarnesphotos
Rhorya

Post by Rhorya »

I live in the States, I’ve got three CW’s. Not common but not uncommon either.
strapline
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

koimaster wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:03 am I for one never have but then again the brand is not well known in the US. I have also never seen a Maurice Lacroix, Bremont or many others. I have seen a lot of low end watches which come in yellow boxes and apple wrist warmers.

In all the years I have worn watches which is well over 60 years now, only once, in a store on the coast has anyone commented on a watch I was wearing. That person was a retired watchmaker who had worked for Zenith for most of his career and the watch was a ML Reveil Globe . Otherwise, never. perhaps others have different experiences.
I agree, watch wearing and appreciation is quite a niche thing. To see all the watch content from reviewers that's available on the internet you'd think every other person was a watch enthusiast. The reality is very different. Given the choice of dropping £$1K+ on a watch or latest smartphone, I think you know where most people would offload their funds. Perhaps this is where part of the appeal lies for me, the very fact that the whole thing is a little niche.

Des
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. T Soprano
rkovars
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by rkovars »

I attend a local watch meet up every now and again and there is another CW fan that attends. He has several. Out and about I've never seen one. I commented on a guys Black Bay GMT the other day and I think I made his day. We were parked next to each other waiting for curb side take out. You couldn't mistake the profile for what it was!
Current CW = C65 Trident Vintage GMT, C65 Dartmouth, C60 Trident Ombré COSC LE, C65 Super Compressor

In Review:

2 More CW's on the short list! (This is pretty much a lie - I have at least 17 CW Tabs open at the moment!)
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I used to work with a guy that had a rather large CW collection, back in 2009-10. He introduced me to the brand and forum. In fact, I believe he still might be active on the forum to this day! Never since though. I might have never found CW if it weren’t for randomly getting a job where he worked.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C60 Sapphire|C60 Abyss|C65 SC|C65 316L LE|C60 mk3 GMT|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster racing|Hamilton Intramatic chrono|Shinola Runwell auto|Tissot|Timex|RZE Endeavor
koimaster
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by koimaster »

strapline wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:54 am
koimaster wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:03 am I for one never have but then again the brand is not well known in the US. I have also never seen a Maurice Lacroix, Bremont or many others. I have seen a lot of low end watches which come in yellow boxes and apple wrist warmers.

I agree, watch wearing and appreciation is quite a niche thing. To see all the watch content from reviewers that's available on the internet you'd think every other person was a watch enthusiast. The reality is very different. Given the choice of dropping £$1K+ on a watch or latest smartphone, I think you know where most people would offload their funds. Perhaps this is where part of the appeal lies for me, the very fact that the whole thing is a little niche.

Des
I would not disagree with most people by-passing purchasing a decent watch for a cell phone or apple "watch" if you call it that. I gave one of my grandsons a Porsche Design watch for his wedding gift and he just looked at me like I had insulted him. His father told me later he had been expecting cash or to be given one of my properties so he would not have to buy his own. Since I cannot stand his wife and not too big a fan of him either, the watch was a cheaper option but perhaps a pair of diapers would have been more appropriate.

rkovars wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:18 pm I attend a local watch meet up every now and again and there is another CW fan that attends. He has several. Out and about I've never seen one. I commented on a guys Black Bay GMT the other day and I think I made his day. We were parked next to each other waiting for curb side take out. You couldn't mistake the profile for what it was!
Nice. I get together with several members of my own watch forums several times a year but with covid I have not had a chance to do so recently. The others have gotten together without me but I am over 70 and have no desire to end up in a hospital again. The near fatal accident I survived after a drunk hit me at over 100mph in 2014 is still fresh in my mind so until the pandemic is over I will avoid chances to tempt fate.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

ajax87 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:55 pm I used to work with a guy that had a rather large CW collection, back in 2009-10. He introduced me to the brand and forum. In fact, I believe he still might be active on the forum to this day! Never since though. I might have never found CW if it weren’t for randomly getting a job where he worked.
Since I know where you worked at that time, I think I can safely say that I know that guy too!!! :lol:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

I’m meeting CW for lunch tomorrow, does that count?
Richard

“understanding goes a long way” FI
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

Kip wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:11 pm
ajax87 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:55 pm I used to work with a guy that had a rather large CW collection, back in 2009-10. He introduced me to the brand and forum. In fact, I believe he still might be active on the forum to this day! Never since though. I might have never found CW if it weren’t for randomly getting a job where he worked.
Since I know where you worked at that time, I think I can safely say that I know that guy too!!! :lol:
:lol: :lol:
Alex
C5A Mk1|C60 Sapphire|C60 Abyss|C65 SC|C65 316L LE|C60 mk3 GMT|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster racing|Hamilton Intramatic chrono|Shinola Runwell auto|Tissot|Timex|RZE Endeavor
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

Richard D wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:17 pm I’m meeting CW for lunch tomorrow, does that count?
Depends on what he’s wearing :lol:
Alex
audio.bill
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 4

Post by audio.bill »

Richard D wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:17 pm I’m meeting CW for lunch tomorrow, does that count?
If you're serious I trust you'll be sporting a Tribus! 8)
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

audio.bill wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:21 am
If you're serious I trust you'll be sporting a Tribus! 8)
I am and coals to Newcastle comes to mind.
Richard

“understanding goes a long way” FI