Has Anyone Else Seen This?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Has Anyone Else Seen This?

Post by tikkathree »

Clach77 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:56 am Of all the Bel Canto variations, this is my clear favourite. I like the black hour and minute hands and I love the shade of orange. :thumbup:
I just know from bitter experience that some orange dials just don't work on my wrist. :oops: :thumbdown: I know when I look like a t1t!
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
Clach77
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 »

tikkathree wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:13 am
Clach77 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:56 am Of all the Bel Canto variations, this is my clear favourite. I like the black hour and minute hands and I love the shade of orange. :thumbup:
I just know from bitter experience that some orange dials just don't work on my wrist. :oops: :thumbdown: I know when I look like a t1t!
:lol:
Trying not to buy any more watches...
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

tikkathree wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:13 am I just know from bitter experience that some orange dials just don't work on my wrist. :oops: :thumbdown: I know when I look like a t1t!
I'm very fortunate in that I'm blissfully ignorant when it comes to whether I look like one.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:05 am @JAFO

From the information in the Oracle of Time article it is, to me, clearly a Bespoke order (Oracle of Time mentions collaboration).

In addition I've been in contact overnight with a McLaren owning close friend of mine, who was involved in the two previous McLaren Owners CW bespoke editions, and he is already aware of this Bel Canto.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
I read the article as suggesting the idea came from McLaren enthusiasts, but that it was just a CW limited edition. I assume I just drew the wrong conclusion. Maybe there's McLaren branding on the case back. It seemed strange to me that a reviewer would even be aware of the watch unless CW had publicised it in some way.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
tikkathree
Moneypit

Post by Moneypit »

The article has been taken down now.

It's a stunning dial... but at the risk of being a bit chintzy? I have my Trident 300 on a white dial with the orange rubber strap. Even in my conservative workplace where the suits have only recently been disposed of, it works. The Dutch lady who does the company eye tests was the only one that commented.

I'd been considering a bel canto as a more elegant, work of art or artisanry on the wrist. But I like a bit if colour. The purple seemed to be the one for me. Black maybe, but if I'm going avant guard, I feel I should go all in. And I like the red beak. The other new colours are a bit too understated for me since I already have a white dial CW.

And the Bel Canto is about gracefully marking the hour with a graceful note.

Now I do love orange, and the strap with the stitching looks awesome. But this is less graceful and more bat-out-of-hell. The bell should be bells from AC/DC's Hell's Bells. I had in fact been waiting for an orange dial after my preferred blue was gone.

I like the black hands make reading the time a little easier. Shame about the red beak going, but colour clash I guess.

This will get a lot of eyes and questions for sure. I can see me looking down at this and grinning, but the purple I'd feel like a sophisticated Willy Wonka - extravagent.

I think it will sell out pronto and go on the resale market though, so the best way to judge would be to buy and decide with it on my wrist. If they don't get snapped up within 10 minutes of going on sale.

Willy Wonka or Crash Bandicoot... decisions, decisions.
These users thanked the author Moneypit for the post:
jkbarnes
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

StrappedUp wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:29 am Will look good behind the wheel of the McLaren! I'm curious as to how CW have arrived at a cheaper price for a bespoke LE though compared to the regular production model. :?
Perhaps…

Commissioned and paid for, before the recent price increase.

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 3):
Bahnstormer_vRSJasHChris375
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

@Moneypit - great summary :lol:
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

sproughton wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:17 pm
tikkathree wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:13 am I just know from bitter experience that some orange dials just don't work on my wrist. :oops: :thumbdown: I know when I look like a t1t!
I'm very fortunate in that I'm blissfully ignorant when it comes to whether I look like one.
What was it Groucho Marx said "laugh and the world laughs with you, act like a tit and the world laughs at you"? At least it could have been Groucho Marx but maybe it was Dave Allen :lol: :lol:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

^^^^
It doesn't sound like a word dear Julius would have used, for sure.
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Stif »

I've got a friend who is not a watch guy - he only really owns one watch, an orange C60 Sapphire (I may have sent him in the right direction on that one...) and he was messaging me about this one first thing this morning (I'll convert him yet! :lol: )

The phoenix orange looks stunning in pictures - such a shame its a limited edition as it'll take me years to save enough for one :'(
These users thanked the author Stif for the post (total 3):
SqualusJasHthomcat00
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
Squalus
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 6

Post by Squalus »

This colour is my third favourite; the first two LEs taking the top spots. I didn't think vibrant colours would suit the Bel Canto. I've been proven wrong.

I'm looking forward to other colour variants that may materialise, although, the production backlog will certainly make that a long wait.
These users thanked the author Squalus for the post (total 2):
JasHStif
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Squalus wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:04 pm This colour is my third favourite; the first two LEs taking the top spots. I didn't think vibrant colours would suit the Bel Canto. I've been proven wrong.

I'm looking forward to other colour variants that may materialise, although, the production backlog will certainly make that a long wait.
A couple of years is nothing much in the grand scheme of things, especially if you are getting a watch that's a bargain at list price. If you were offered a guaranteed date for a Rolex you wouldn't ever pay a grey premium, would you?
IamNotaBene

Post by IamNotaBene »

I got quite excited about this...I'm partial to an orange watch...but the original article appears to have been removed...hopefully it may rematerialise at some stage

NB
JasH
Senior
Senior

Bel Canto Phoenix

Post by JasH »

I just noticed I'm tagged in this thread, so thought it best to clear up some misunderstanding in some interpretations of the Oracle report.

The press article was accurate in what it reported, as it was based on the PDF of the Bel Canto Phoenix, but there was room for inadvertent misinterpretation. I will try to address those points in my post.

The Bel Canto Phoenix is a bespoke project that is limited to 99 pieces. It is for my supercar groups and watch group from one of those supercar groups, and was never intended for general release. In fact only having 99 pieces there were never enough watches for that, as it's a tiny production run. Secondly, 40% of the production was pre-allocated even before a single person saw the design - just based on my description to my watch group. Finally, when members saw the design, it was universally loved so I expect it will sell out and be oversubscribed within these groups.

The watch is not discounted in any way whatsoever. (My understanding is that CW do not discount bespoke projects, and now do not discount their watches generally or offer vouchers.) The reason the watch appears slightly lower priced than current Bel Canto is simply because this project was underway for many months, and long preceded the price rise. The watch is in fact slightly more expensive than Bel Canto was pre-price rise, but that's another matter.

Regarding production, the Bel Canto Phoenix is not delaying production of Azzurro, Verde, or the four series watches that have already been ordered by customers. Its production slots in after those orders.

Finally, the watch has no McLaren branding whatsoever and is not related at all to the brand. My supercar groups also have Ferrari, Lamborghini and other marque owners. The only connection was to my own car which inspired me in terms of the colour etc. Contrary to speculation there is also no such branding on the case back, which has a Phoenix motif.

I hope this settles the speculation :)
These users thanked the author JasH for the post (total 15):
nbgAmor Vincit OmniaBahnstormer_vRSStifOllyWthomcat00Chris375en_nissenSqualustikkathree and 5 more users
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

@JasH Thank you for clearing that up. An article like that appearing out of the blue (or perhaps the orange) will always provoke speculation. I’m sure the discussion will continue, but at least we can draw a line under whether or not it will be available.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
JasHStif
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)