Gold Plating

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
simontovey

Gold Plating

Post by simontovey »

Hi there, i was just wondering if anyone help answer my question. i am thinking of buying the C5 Malvern automatic. My dilemma is do i go gold or steel. I really like the gold design except im weary that it might rub down. What are the forums thoughts on this! Is gold plating durable?
cheers
si
woodee

Re: Gold Plating

Post by woodee »

I have had a gold plated Malvern Automatic since about March 2008 and worn it frequently for work. The watch is usually underneath my shirt cuff or jacket and you can see there are microscopic scratches on the top surface. I don't however, believe they particularly detract from the overall good look of the watch.

More generally, the watch has kept excellent time and i am very pleased with it although the 38 hour power reserve is over optomistic.
Yoda
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: Gold Plating

Post by Yoda »

Gold is a soft metal. CWL's watches are PVD plated with a thicker layer of gold than most watchmakers, therefore lasting much longer. It will wear off but not so quickly as others and like all surfaces, scratch.

For continuous use, buy a stainless steel cased watch or rotate your gold watches.
Indigo fugit

Yoda, bringing light to the dark side.