GENERAL BOX STORAGE QUESTION

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

GENERAL BOX STORAGE QUESTION

Post by tikkathree »

The time came this month to sort through the growing pile of watch boxes which have been stored in "bosun's locker" format, in other words the longest-owned stuff at the back and bottom of the pile and newest arrivals at the front. Big bamboo coffin boxes and old stylie inner and outer boxes all mixed together. Why? well a general sense of housekeeping and the likely potential end game of someone having to deal with my stuff when I'm gone. Oh don't worry I'm not working towards a given date. :oops: :)

I can't bear to keep watches hidden away in boxes and so the empty boxes are stashed away.
I know I've bought watches without boxes and I know I have a number of spare boxes such as gained when receiving a watch back after service by CW. Now I know there are eight watches without boxes and there are six spare boxes: net result only two homeless watches. :thumbup:

Also I've got a number of outbounds for which I've needed to find the boxes.

So now I have a simple spreadsheet cataloguing every CW watch by model and serial number with associated information like box & paperwork Yes/No and every watch box now carries a unique number which is the line numbeer in the spreadsheet. It's crude I know but it works and it won't be a big job to open another sheet for the non-CW watches.

I'm glad I did it, I had two surprises, one a missing box and papers and the other a leftover handbook for a watch long gone: there'll be a separate discussion/message about that one.

I expect that some of you have quite masterly storage arrangements, but a general question, what do YOU do? :wave: :wave: :wave:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Tonywalker
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 26

Re: GENERAL BOX STORAGE QUESTION

Post by Tonywalker »

I just have a sticker on each empty box, declaring what watch came out of it.

Seems to work okay for me, although I have discovered recently that I have mislayed a set of shoulders for one of.my C4 based SS bracelets, which is infuriating as I have an immaculate bracelet needing to be used/fitted.

I just hope they didn't get left in a box at point of sale🙄

It's tough stuff this watch collecting habit🤣
These users thanked the author Tonywalker for the post (total 2):
tikkathreeLaird
CW watch count - enough to keep me very happy, but always room for more!
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

My secret is keeping to low numbers of watches and no more than a couple from any brand at any one time. It makes finding the box when needed easy.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
tikkathree
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
maclink
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by maclink »

I don’t yet have that many watches to create confusion, but a piece of paper with a photo of the watch and name in each box would do it for me.
These users thanked the author maclink for the post:
tikkathree
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

iain wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:02 pm My secret is keeping to low numbers of watches and no more than a couple from any brand at any one time. It makes finding the box when needed easy.
On reflection that is probably a sensible idea!😀

My system is a bit hit and miss. Once I remember when a random watch was purchased, that increases the likelihood of finding the box for the watch I am looking for, that I know was bought at a similar time.

It also doesn’t help that none of the boxes are labelled from the outside.🤣

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
tikkathree
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
WileyECoyote
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 10

Post by WileyECoyote »

After buying about four or five Christopher Ward watches, I decided that I needed an orderly way to store my watch boxes. I have been careful to keep the outside shipping container & the inner watch boxes. I print on the outside of the shipping cardboard box, the watch model, for example: C60 Trident Pro 600. I keep the nice CW watch boxes stored inside the shipping containers to save room with all the paperwork inside the watch boxes exactly as it arrived from CW. If a bracelet for a particular watch is resized, I keep the spare links inside the watch box. All of my boxes are of the coffin variety, so it has been possible for me to stack all of them neatly inside one closet. If I wish to consult an owner's manual, it is simple for me to identify the correct box & pull it to check. Until this winter, I had never sold one of my watches. With incoming models, I did some culling & sold three of them for different reasons. I am glad that I had kept everything including the original shipping boxes because it was easy for me to ready those boxes for shipment to their new owners! As for my watches, I keep them in a nice watch box, so there is no need to keep their original watch boxes out which would take up a lot of room. Next to owning fewer watches, this is a simple method that works for me.

Delmar
These users thanked the author WileyECoyote for the post (total 4):
TonywalkertikkathreeLairdLeon O
C60-Trident Atoll LE/Trident Pro 600
C65-AM GT LE/Super Compressor
C63 GMT Sealander/2023 Forum LE
C1 Russell Black Dial/C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler Chronometer/C8 Pilot Revival LE
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

A rumour was rife some years ago that a certain gentleman in New England was using them to build a garage. Whether that project was ever completed I don’t know.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
WileyECoyoteOllyW
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I have most of my boxes haphazardly stacked in a plastic storage tub. All, however, are labeled for easier grabbing if needed. As I’ve sold only a very few watches locating boxes has not been much of a concern.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

WileyECoyote wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:47 pm After buying about four or five Christopher Ward watches, I decided that I needed an orderly way to store my watch boxes. I have been careful to keep the outside shipping container & the inner watch boxes. I print on the outside of the shipping cardboard box, the watch model, for example: C60 Trident Pro 600. I keep the nice CW watch boxes stored inside the shipping containers to save room with all the paperwork inside the watch boxes exactly as it arrived from CW. If a bracelet for a particular watch is resized, I keep the spare links inside the watch box. All of my boxes are of the coffin variety, so it has been possible for me to stack all of them neatly inside one closet. If I wish to consult an owner's manual, it is simple for me to identify the correct box & pull it to check. Until this winter, I had never sold one of my watches. With incoming models, I did some culling & sold three of them for different reasons. I am glad that I had kept everything including the original shipping boxes because it was easy for me to ready those boxes for shipment to their new owners! As for my watches, I keep them in a nice watch box, so there is no need to keep their original watch boxes out which would take up a lot of room. Next to owning fewer watches, this is a simple method that works for me.

Delmar
I also use this approach.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Thanks for the ideas here and once I have a spare hour or so I'll be using some of these to improve the storage for my small number of watches.

So I understand the storage of each box with spreadsheet line numbers, model etc on the outer box but how and where do you all then store the individual boxes?

In those big clear plastic storage boxes ? In the loft ? In a spare room in the house ? In a garage ? Do you put those silicon pellet bags in to prevent dampness ?
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Mikkei4 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:28 am Thanks for the ideas here and once I have a spare hour or so I'll be using some of these to improve the storage for my small number of watches.

So I understand the storage of each box with spreadsheet line numbers, model etc on the outer box but how and where do you all then store the individual boxes?

In those big clear plastic storage boxes ? In the loft ? In a spare room in the house ? In a garage ? Do you put those silicon pellet bags in to prevent dampness ?
Any thoughts on a secure storage facility? If I owned a farm I'd be offering secure watch box storage services.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

tikkathree wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:48 am
Mikkei4 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:28 am Thanks for the ideas here and once I have a spare hour or so I'll be using some of these to improve the storage for my small number of watches.

Any thoughts on a secure storage facility? If I owned a farm I'd be offering secure watch box storage services.
Sorry to dampen your idea but I couldn't see that working. Driving off to a farm just to get a watch box back, presumably being stored in a metal shipping container?
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

If you want a relatively cheap storage box designed to keep things dry, then there are plenty of military surplus places that sell lightly used ammunition storage boxes complete with rubber seals etc. Probably more suited to the garage than the loft though ...
These users thanked the author exHowfener for the post:
WileyECoyote
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

I store my boxes in the basement. It is quite dry because I have 2 dehumidifiers running most of the time.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi