LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Forum Guidelines

Post by Kip »

Recently there has been a few issues regarding the Sales Corner...myself I think that any posts that are in the least bit negative should not be made as a matter of etiquette.

If you are interested ask a question. If not refrain. If you think something is to high in price or something may be incorrect or even to offer a suggestion...then use pm's to contact the seller.

Recent sales posts seem to be highjacked and this really should stop. Sometimes the intentions are well meaning but people sometimes read things in different ways. We must remember that we do have a worldwide audience.

The above is my opinion.

The subject of forum guidelines has come up again by the team. We like to keep this as free and open as possible with a minimum of censure....that has been our founders desire. We are not sure, given our size how much longer this can continue.

We would like to hear from you, the forum members, what you think. Remember that what I said above is my opinion only. Not that of the team. That, plus I am not just referring to the Sales Corner when speaking of guidelines.

Any number of things can be discussed. I have my own ideas but want to know what you think about...Language, Avatars, links to other forums, links to competitive brands to CWL, links to a members website or blog, the Sales Corner.....etc.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes

Re: Forum Guidelines

Post by scooter »

Hi Kip

I would respond as follows:

Sales Corner

Probably the most contentious issue judging by recent events. If I recall Hans was happy not to have a minimum number of posts before using SC. I'm happy with that given that there aren't that many outsider posts. It might be that I would like to purchase one of these anyway. I am uneasy seeing some of the posts that follow these postings and given that there are no rules one should just ignore these if not interested in the sale itself. We ourselves are always talking about etiquette so should follow our own unwritten code of behaviour.

Language

I would never use a really bad word or obvious phrase that intends a really rude word. I did use 'bloody' once tonight without putting in 2** which I normally would. I felt a bit guilty after.

Hijacking Threads

This does annoy me and I fully intend in future to send PMs to offenders on my OPs politely suggesting that this unfair. I am sure 99% of the time it is done unintentionally and would hope that members would understand once brought to their attention.

Links to other forums, links to competitive brands to CWL

I am totally happy with this. We might be a CW Forum but each and everyone of us, it seems, loves other Brands as well. I have also seen our members on another main Forum refer directly to CW by name or by links so it works both ways. We should remember that we all presumably, whatever Forums we join, love watches more than any one particular brand.

Some are funny, some are risque, none offend me. I am 57, some of our members are hopefully late teens and early 20s and reflect the modern day. I would too if I were lucky enough to be young again.

Enough already

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

One of the best aspects of this forum is the lack of 'rules' and the fact that the majority of members are quite happy to follow an unwritten code of conduct.

Concerning Sales Corner..
Kip wrote:..regarding the Sales Corner...myself I think that any posts that are in the least bit negative should not be made as a matter of etiquette.

If you are interested ask a question. If not refrain. If you think something is to high in price or something may be incorrect or even to offer a suggestion...then use pm's to contact the seller.
I agree with this 100%. Maybe a heading on the Sales Corner reminding posters to avoid anything negative.

For the other areas of discussion...

Language - Generally, I don't see a problem with what is posted.
Avatars - Generally not an issue, but if anyone goes over the top, the current level of 'policing' seems to be fine.
Links to other forums, competitive brands etc. - I think, without these, the forum would become very dull.
Thread diversion - doesn't concern me too much. No need for heavy rules or censure.

I must admit, I don't care for the posts where the only purpose is to advertise the posters blog or watch review, but I generally just ignore them.
Richard
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

Sales Corner
Has become a bit 'interesting' in there lately....i think we should leave it as is for now and hopefully it will just be a storm in a teacup. However,i also think that if sales threads continue to be hijacked and inappropriate comments posted then there will have to be rules applied...even maybe that only the thread poster can post in the thread and all contact for sales must go thru' pm.

Language
I don't think it's particularly an issue..... i know i was driven to putting a somewhat coarse comment in the sc by someone who shall remain nameless,but i removed it fairly quickly afterwards with an apology :oops:
Remember,some stuff is probably seen as inoffensive on different sides of the Atlantic as well.
An option is to create a sub section where people can blow off steam,have an arguement,post risque or downright rude stuff....make it clear that this forum contains this material and not to enter it if you are going to be offended. Lock it to anyone who isn't logged in.

You can't prevent or try to prevent this....the moment you do people will leave the forum. Its a wide,wide world of watches and we all know that.

Again,don't see any problems personally...i know i've got one of the 'risque' ones but i seem only to get requests
for more,not less :)

Generally
The bigger the active membership,the more likely there will be disagreements,personality clashes,culture clashes,misunderstandings etc etc etc.....it will happen. The dilemma is whether to let it 'self-police' within reason keeping the current small mod team (with a few but clear rules),or to introduce more mods and greater moderation. Sort of TZ-UK style vs WUS style. I know which i prefer.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
downer

Post by downer »

village wrote:The dilemma is whether to let it 'self-police' within reason keeping the current small mod team (with a few but clear rules),or to introduce more mods and greater moderation. Sort of TZ-UK style vs WUS style. I know which i prefer.
I think CWF is (and should stay) somewhere in the middle of these two extremes. Some of the sub-fora on WUS are police-states and TZ-UK seems to have a mob-rule culture (see here) which irritates the bloody life out of me.

There, managed to go off topic, post a link to another place, and swear - all in one post! :D
Richard
Richard
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6
LE-one: yes

Post by Richard »

I for one like the forum as is.

I think we have enough true and committed members to keep any anomaly in check, perhaps sometimes with the help of one of our moderators. I haven't had any problem with language, avatars, first post sales or any other subject mentioned here on this forum.

Sometimes things get a bit heated, but it always tends to work itself out. Just like real life i guess :lol: .
CW count: 6 Seiko count: 11 Casio count: 1 Citizen count: 1 G-Shock count: 2.
Unofficial Seiko ambassador.
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

I too like the forum as it is. I's great strengths are threefold. Firstly the enthusiasm of its members for any topic however loosly related to CW watches. Secondly the in depth knowledge of members and their willingness freely impart their wisdom , views and recommendations. Finally, and I think this is borne out by the response to your question Kip, the
willingness of members to respond seriously to important issues and questions.

Of course there will be banter, thread braking, vulgarity and irrelevancies from time to time and we can either enjoy or ignore.

Wish my 9-GMT black face replacement would come!

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
The Raffles
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by The Raffles »

Kip Said: We would like to hear from you, the forum members, what you think. Remember that what I said above is my opinion only. Not that of the team. That, plus I am not just referring to the Sales Corner when speaking of guidelines.
After reading the original thread from Kip, it had me going to the SC (along with a lot of others I bet) to see what the comments were about and I think I found the 'Sales' bit that has caused this posting.
Having read through the entire thread a few times I have to say that it did get quite heated in places, but have to say those who had time to reflect on words published and at least had the 'b*lls' to reflect their actions and apologise to the rest of the forum (well done those concerned).
following the trend.....

Sales Corner
I don't think there should be any changes or major rules imposed, what I do think is 'Sales Corner' is for sales and should be used just for that purpose, of course the odd bit of advice/question to the seller (i.e. the price being asked is a little on the steep side, are you sure you have the correct pricing showing? etc) may help out and shouldn't be deterred as long as it is done in a sensitive manner that doesn't cause offence to the seller. The only other real postings that should appear should be questions about the sale (a bit more history or a clearer description on the watch etc)

Language Very much like 'Village' I don't see this is a particular issue, we all express ourselves in different ways and tend to use different terms to describe things, as long as it isn't language that could cause offence to the lady readers/posters on the forum, I don't really have a problem (if that is how someone can only express themselves), I think that nearly all of that use this forum have an education of some sort and can really express ourselves without resorting to using swear words, but everyone to their own.

Links to other forums and watch brands Again no real problem, nice to see other forums and how they try to emulate the CW Forum..! and links to other brands...no problem, we all enjoy watches and I'm sure we want to know what else is out there, even if we don't like or want to buy them, life would be very boring if the world was just CWL watches or it could end up like the old joke "Come the day of the revolution we will all drive around in Rolls Royce's" "What if I don't want to drive a Rolls Royce?" "Come the day of the revolution you WILL dive a Rolls Royce".

Avatars Same opinion as 'Scooter' some are risqué and some funny but likewise none offend, Me I'm 55, look on life with eyes of have fun and enjoy and reading the odd funny risqué posting brightens my day........you younger members will experience this feeling at some time...!

Hijacking Threads Not really experienced this so cannot really comment, but as 'Scooter' quite rightly says just send a PM suggesting the errors of their ways and not using the main thread to express feelings of such practices.

Anyway enough from me, the bacon is sizzling in the pan, just waiting for me to slap a couple of bits of bread either side of them....brown sauce and then yummy...!
Lamps
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Lamps »

I like things the way they are.

Villages idea for a "bear pit" style sub forum is ok in principle, but I don't think we should have one on this forum, I feel Curmudgeons Corner is about as far as we should go down that road.
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

downer wrote:There, managed to go off topic, post a link to another place, and swear - all in one post! :D

:lol:
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
DSHall
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 22
LE-fourb: yes

Forum Guidelines

Post by DSHall »

My view for what is worth is leave as is. On the very rare occasion that things go awry people seem to have sorted it themselves. The passion, enthusiasm and humour are what makes the forum a great place to spend time, along with the incredible wealth of expertise I get free access to!
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

Sales Corner
Pet hate of mine as I don't like seeing people using forums purely as a selling device to avoid ebay fees, which is what some people are doing with no intention of joining in other thread areas. Consensus seems to be not to impose a post threshold, so I'll just avoid looking on SC any more to avoid losing it & posting any more unfriendly comments.

Language
No problems for me, I try to bleep my words as necessary, although a censored Smilie option would be useful!

Hijacking Threads
Guilty as charged of doing that once in SC to highlight a certain issue, but generally most threads seems to wander along without any undue moderating so leave em alone.

Okay, but probably best kept to one area so people who want to know can go there & they don't start getting spread all over the place.

Guilty again! Sorry mine are too dull, I'll try & liven them up a bit.

This is the nicest forum I visit & it would be a shame for it to change massively, but as said before, if people aren't interested in the raison d'etre for the form, then why be here?
RustyinRochester
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by RustyinRochester »

After years of being a mod on watch fora and well as a participant, I have noticed that the larger the forum gets, the more questions of appropriate behavior enter the discussion. Sometimes we are victims of our own success.

It seems that a recent sales post ignited this discussion and if you have rules for sales posts, then mods are going to have to enforce those rules. Frankly, I was surprised by all the vitriol generated by that one post/poster. 99% of the members here seem like gentlemen which is why I visit here. The membership took care of this by their response to his sales post. Believe me, there are fora out there that are like the WILD WEST of the USA, gunslingers everywhere. A rule regarding minimum posts won't help if a new member is a **** and fails to follow rules anyway.

I am not offended by avatars or language here...in fact I am often amused and entertained.
"In comic strips, the person on the left always speaks first."
-George Carlin
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

It seems that the people who get up early on a Sunday have already said most of what needs to be said, but that's not going to stop me.

Sales Corner
... seems to be a problem in every forum that has one. The problem is caused by a minority that don't follow the local (usually unwritten) rules. A minimum post rule seems to create spam posts from newbies desperate to reach SC. Having only the OP able to post on a sales thread makes it a bit sterile - but it works - until the Trolls start posting about sales on the open fora.

Links
For many people, CW is a first leap into the quality watch world, and this forum can be part of that leap. Links help expand everyone's horizons, both to demonstrate the wonderful (and awful) stuff that's out there and to help understand where CW fits in the grand scheme of things.

Thread hijack
...is a difficult subject. Sometimes it is blatant and unnecessary but often there is a gentle but almost irresistible shift off-topic, much like a conversation in the pub. I'd not discourage that - I enjoy it.

If it's not offensive it's not a problem. We have a 'village' standard that seems to hit the right balance.

Language
That's just what it is; language. Used well, 'bad' language has its place, used offensively it does not. I think that bleeping with *s should be done, the more extreme the word the more necessary it is. As for smilies, Image them.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Galton321 »

I think that the Forum is fine as it is. I like the place it is very friendly. Occasionally, very occasionally, a bit of bad temper flares up but it settles down very quickly, people usually quickly realise and make amends. I also like the way people seem to like all watches and no one is madly partisan, except for CWL, of course. No one seems to slag off other products unlike some other fora people speak off. I don't belong to any other watch forum so was not aware of the etiquette thing with regard to selling. But I don't really believe that people sell here just to avoid ebay fees. If you want to sell a watch then a watch forum would seem to be the place to go on the principle that that's why robbers rob banks because that is where the money is. If you want to sell a watch go to where you know people are interested in watches rather just announce it to the world at large. Again abusers are quickly identified and dealt with. Many social clubs seem to get ruined when the rule makers take over. Suddenly you've got a president, a committee and parking spaces for them. When that happens I generally move on. So I don't think we need rules just good manners which this forum's members seem to have/ :)