Feeling Nostalgic

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Tonywalker
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 26

Feeling Nostalgic

Post by Tonywalker »

No wish to drag up the logos war, but I must admit to being quite happy to see the words Christopher Ward on my dial, after wearing a few swish only dials for the last few days.

Anybody else feel the same way?
These users thanked the author Tonywalker for the post:
Internaut
CW watch count - enough to keep me very happy, but always room for more!
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Re: Feeling Nostalgic

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I’m happy with any of the logos/wordmarks but my favourite will always be…

More stylish than a blue-point Siamese on a Parisian catwalk.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
TonywalkerWileyECoyote
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I get what you are saying Steve but I can't help but think it only matches that esthetic. For example it would look way out of place on a C60 300 Pro for example. However, I also feel that the Swish, even applied, would not look right on the example above. I don't know. Maybe a black applied would look okay but it would not have the same punch I think.

I don't own any Swish only examples yet (but will in a few months). I do own word only centered at 12 and Swish at 12/name at 9. I don't have a problem with any of them to be honest.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Tonywalker
"The cure for anything is salt water - tears, sweat and the sea."
Isak Dinesen
Current CW = C65 Trident GMT, C65 Dartmouth, C60 Trident Ombré LE, C65 Super Compressor, C63 Ukraine LE
Pre-order = C63 Forum LE, Momentum Sea Quartz 30
Amor Vincit Omnia

rkovars wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:12 pm For example it would look way out of place on a C60 300 Pro for example.
Of course it would. But then, I said stylish, didn’t I? :wink:
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:16 pm
rkovars wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:12 pm For example it would look way out of place on a C60 300 Pro for example.
Of course it would. But then, I said stylish, didn’t I? :wink:
Touché! :D
Amor Vincit Omnia
Isak Dinesen
Current CW = C65 Trident GMT, C65 Dartmouth, C60 Trident Ombré LE, C65 Super Compressor, C63 Ukraine LE
Tonywalker
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 26

Post by Tonywalker »

Similar to the myriad of designs and styles CW have delivered in such a short timeframe from inception of the company, maybe all of the variations in logo designs/dial positions etc is what captivates us all unwittingly?!🤔
CW watch count - enough to keep me very happy, but always room for more!
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

I agree with the OP, I’m glad it’s not just me, but I feel our opinion is in the vanishing minority.

It makes the CW back catalogue even more attractive to me and there are lots in the wild, so I’m happy to hunt down discontinued gems
These users thanked the author johncolescarr for the post (total 2):
Richard DTonywalker
Dress C65 Trident vintage mk II
Dive C65 Trident vintage mk II
Fly C65 Trident vintage mk II
Amor Vincit Omnia

johncolescarr wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:06 pm …discontinued gems
Very well put. Logos and wordmarks don’t bother me all that much, but the impermanence of the overall catalogue and the lack of model longevity has bothered me for a while. If you don’t buy it soon after it appears, there’s no guarantee it will be there in a couple of years.
Steve

Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

johncolescarr wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:06 pm I agree with the OP, I’m glad it’s not just me, but I feel our opinion is in the vanishing minority.

It makes the CW back catalogue even more attractive to me and there are lots in the wild, so I’m happy to hunt down discontinued gems
My thoughts too.
Richard

The whole is other than the sum of the parts.
Kurt Koffka
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

rkovars wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:12 pm I get what you are saying Steve but I can't help but think it only matches that esthetic. For example it would look way out of place on a C60 300 Pro for example. However, I also feel that the Swish, even applied, would not look right on the example above. I don't know. Maybe a black applied would look okay but it would not have the same punch I think.

I don't own any Swish only examples yet (but will in a few months). I do own word only centered at 12 and Swish at 12/name at 9. I don't have a problem with any of them to be honest.
I have 3 handwind C65s with a nine o'clock brand name, a C60 bronze with the name at 12, and 2 C7s with no name, and the old style applied swish unit. I just don't think about the design elements at all. I just have watches I enjoy wearing. I only have the current (lapsed) font though, and I do enjoy that font.

If I wanted to nit pick, I would probably prefer the C65s to not have the numbers at 6 and 12, but it's not an issue. If I hadn't liked it as a whole I wouldn't have bought them.

I probably like the current C60 Pro 300 best. (is that the right name, it's a little cumbersome/convoluted). From memory I like the design of the bezel and so on. I think it's swish only, but I couldn't actually say for certain, and that wouldn't bother me. I do like the new applied swish though. It adds a touch of elegance.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
Tonywalker
ralfybaby

Post by ralfybaby »

rkovars wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:12 pm .... it would look way out of place on a C60 300 Pro for example. ....
The Mk1 and Mk2 had that logo. Best looking C60 ever to me with the quirky hands too.

These users thanked the author ralfybaby for the post (total 2):
Tonywalkermikeua85
ralfybaby

Post by ralfybaby »

Tonywalker wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:36 pm No wish to drag up the logos war, but I must admit to being quite happy to see the words Christopher Ward on my dial, after wearing a few swish only dials for the last few days.

Anybody else feel the same way?
I loved the old ChrWard logo. Never bought one, i did not count on the collection changing all the time. Now I wish I had. I may have to dip into the used market
I only have the Christopher Ward new font logo on the left side of the watch. I do like the swish symbol and the new watches look good to me also. I appreciate that CW is gone and the company is distancing itself somewhat of that heritage. I also know that many people took a dislike to the CW name on the dials of the watches.
I never did though.
These users thanked the author ralfybaby for the post:
Tonywalker
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

ralfybaby wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:53 pm
rkovars wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:12 pm .... it would look way out of place on a C60 300 Pro for example. ....
The Mk1 and Mk2 had that logo. Best looking C60 ever to me with the quirky hands too.

To each his own. Those would be a hard pass for me.
mikeua85
Isak Dinesen
WileyECoyote
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 10

Post by WileyECoyote »

B75E4E9C-994E-471A-AB8F-4BB26B02AF43.jpeg
I do agree with Steve that the CHR. word mark with London placed underneath it looks perfectly stylish on his C9 5 Day Small Seconds dress watch. Hard to imagine or I would rather not contemplate the new double swish on that watch. That particular watch is the one Christopher Ward from the past at the top of my wish list. Part of the appeal is that word mark along with the classic Roman numeral dial layout. Such a clean, legible design that exudes style & class in every way. I do own CW variations of the logo placement at the nine & twelve o’clock positions along with the new Swish logo on last summer’s C60 Atoll. I am interested to see what the applied logo will look like when it arrives on my Forum limited edition later this spring. What I am saying is some logos look better on certain watch designs than others. I arrived too late in the game for the CHR logo. So, when Christopher Ward offered that logo on the C8 Pilot Revival a year ago, it was a big factor in my buying one. In general, the word mark logo & its placement location have not heavily influenced my watch buying decisions. But in the case of the C8 Pilot Revival, it did! A year later, I have no regrets as I enjoy looking at & wearing the watch.

Delmar
These users thanked the author WileyECoyote for the post:
Tonywalker
C60-Trident Bronze Ombre/Abyss/Blue Sapphire/Atoll LE/Trident Pro 600
C65-AM GT LE/Super Compressor
C63 GMT Sealander
C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler Chronometer/C8 Pilot Revival LE