Engraving on exhibition back

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
schticy
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 20

Engraving on exhibition back

Post by schticy »

In the run up to my birthday, my other half yesterday suggested the silver C9 chrono that she selected from the website. I know - lucky me! :D

As its for a gift she'd like to add some engraving using the CWL service - but I'm not sure where this would fit given all the text on there already:

I've tried but I can't find any example photos of exhibition caseback engraving on the forum and would really like to see what it might look like before committing to getting it done.

Anyone got an engraved exhibition back and willing to share an image?
CW watches:-
  • C9 Auto SST, C9 Chrono SST, C9 Chrono SKK, C9 Chrono SBBR, C60 GMT SKWS, C8 MkII SKK, C40 PKK and C40 SKK, C20, C9FLE, C5 Malvern x6 - C5SKK C5SWT C5SST C5SWT-Mk2 C5GWT C5SSS-Mk2 C9-GMT-SKK C9-GMT-SSK
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Re: Engraving on exhibition back

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Can't answer your question, but...lucky boy! :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

Post by xtriple »

Where would they put the engraving? S'pse you could engrave the crystal back, but would that weaken it too much?
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by footycrazy »

I would imagine that most models now only come with the (swiss made & a serial no.) and nothing else, so plenty of room for engraving. Or is this only done on models which could have a 25/26 jewel movement inside it ?

A quick email to Wera would confirm this.
Graham
schticy
Senior
Senior

Post by schticy »

Not sure if the casebacks have changed, but my C9 Auto which I got a month ago has the same amount of text including the number of jewels. Same is true for my C40 I picked up at the same time.
The engraving option on this watch (and seems to be the same for other c9 variants) says up to 20 characters which definitely won't fit on the flat section of the caseback, and like xtriple says, engraving the crystal would weaken it or at least obscure the view of the movement.
  • C9 Auto SST, C9 Chrono SST, C9 Chrono SKK, C9 Chrono SBBR, C60 GMT SKWS, C8 MkII SKK, C40 PKK and C40 SKK, C20, C9FLE, C5 Malvern x6 - C5SKK C5SWT C5SST C5SWT-Mk2 C5GWT C5SSS-Mk2 C9-GMT-SKK C9-GMT-SSK
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

Maybe they engrave on the beveled edge?

Why not email Wera, maybe they have a photo of an engraved one?

Or, just maybe they have a special case back for engraving?

Rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
schticy
Senior
Senior

Post by schticy »

Cheers everyone, I'll try Wera - if it is a special text free back then I'll probably skip the engraving especially as it is a limited edition model and the normal back would have the serial number/edition number on it.
Leem
Senior
Senior

Post by Leem »

Hi, you could always try acid engraving, that might not weaken the rear crystal?
Lee
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

I had my C5 exhibition caseback engraved by CW when I bought it. There are a few pics here, though the engraving isn't terribly clear. If you want, let me know and I'll try and take a few more that show it more clearly.

http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... =2&t=10742
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
schticy
Senior
Senior

Post by schticy »

That's great thanks for the link - so the engraving does fit round the outside and no need to touch the crystal. Perfect!
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

schticy wrote:That's great thanks for the link - so the engraving does fit round the outside and no need to touch the crystal. Perfect!
Exactly
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
schticy
Senior
Senior

Post by schticy »

Wera kindly responded to my query about this, and explained that the C9 Chrono can be engraved up to 20 characters, including spaces. On this watch the engraving would be on the outside edge of the backplate, which is the sloping section. Depending on the message it would either be at the top (behind the twelve) or split between the twelve and the six position if this would look best.

Alternatively she said it would be possible to ask for an engraved plate attached to the presentation box. Hope this helps anyone else interested in this option.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

schticy wrote:In the run up to my birthday, my other half yesterday suggested the silver C9 chrono that she selected from the website. I know - lucky me! :D

As its for a gift she'd like to add some engraving using the CWL service - but I'm not sure where this would fit given all the text on there already:

I've tried but I can't find any example photos of exhibition caseback engraving on the forum and would really like to see what it might look like before committing to getting it done.

Anyone got an engraved exhibition back and willing to share an image?
Ask if they and engrave it on the rotor. That would be pretty cool. If they would actually do that for you the rotor would need to be removed to prevent material from entering in the movement. It would cost more, I'm sure.