Dropped models

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Strict Bowler

Dropped models

Post by Strict Bowler »

Apologies if this has already been discussed but noticed that the C65 Automatic and a couple of the Abyss models have now been dropped from sale
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Dropped models

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ Yup; that's correct. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Both the C60 Abyss and C60 Abyss GMT were formally 'Retired' in January this year (2022/01) as may be seen in their respective entries in the CWArchive - Model Search - Abyss.

The C60 Abyss SH21 is still going strong. :wink: :wink:

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 3):
Strict BowlerJasperCatrockchalk06
To see the World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour - William Blake

Sundial
rockchalk06
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by rockchalk06 »

I bought my Abyss GMT off that last sale and knew nothing about them being discontinued. I'm really glad I did now. It will NOT be going on an auction site for 2k either 😂
mlsej

Post by mlsej »

Question from a Newbie: in your experience, do retired/discontinued models typically appreciate in value on the secondary market following discontinuation?

I imagine this is model-specific and relates to the model’s popularity, but is there a general rule of thumb?
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

mlsej wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:23 pm Question from a Newbie: in your experience, do retired/discontinued models typically appreciate in value on the secondary market following discontinuation?

I imagine this is model-specific and relates to the model’s popularity, but is there a general rule of thumb?
Rule of thumb? IMHO, do not expect any CW watch to appreciate in value. :thumbdown:

Time spent in the archive https://cwarchive.knack.com/cwarchive#home/ will enlighten on resale values but it's been my eight-years' experience that once you get over the premium paid on for a new watch you are looking to recover some of your outlay but not all of it. Obviously shrewd use of sale offerings will help; a bit.

I also think there's a possibility that the general rise of the price of things over time means that if you'd bought say a C6 Kingfisher new back in 2005 and you sold it now you might actually "get your money back". This is just a feeling I have rather than a proven theorem :lol: .

I think you mentioned the Abyss models: it has struck me that they are something a bit niche as they seem to take a while to sell. Again I'm happy to be disproved.
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post (total 4):
Bahnstormer_vRSStuart1MacdazJasperCat
C60 MKI COSC black MKI GMT x4
C60 MKII Day Date LE GMT White LE SH21 x2 ACAN Bronze Ombre LE
C60 MKIII Ombre COSC Elite 1000 GMT Concept Wave
C6 K'fisher x6,
C60 K'fisher x3
C600 Tritech x 3,
C63 Elite, Seal GMT
C65 Anthro. Blue h/w
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ Great response Pete with which I wholeheartedly concur. The CWArchive is a mine of information.

Buying a new CW is like buying a car; it depreciates as soon as it comes out of the showroom.

Buy shrewdly with a discount or pre-owned and you might get your money back on a resale.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 2):
Stuart1JasperCat
To see the World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour - William Blake

Sundial
Stuart1
Senior
Senior

Post by Stuart1 »

Completely agree, CW makes a great watch but they will depreciate.
If you follow on EBay how many watches just sit there not being sold? If a Sealander costs £625.00 less the £100 voucher = £525. How much would you pay for a secondhand one £400-£425.
On the older models you have to consider a service of £160.00 that may needed (minimum). Again it is quite close to just buying a new watch with the warranty.
Some of the limited editions have only a different dial. In real terms how much value would it add? For me personally about 20% max.
I have some C5 aviators you could have purchased them in 2006 for about £300 which is there current value. Effectively, if I sold it I would have had a free watch.
These users thanked the author Stuart1 for the post:
golfjunky
exHowfener
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Just an observation, but if you buy something at x price then sell it years later for x in fact you will almost certainly have lost money due to the reduced spending value. As inflation rises that will become more pronounced. You see this all the time on "Antiques Roadshow" where someone bought something for, say, £500 in 1971 and now it's worth .... Well, £500 in 1971 was a LOT of money which is rarely mentioned. Balanced against this is the years of pleasure and enjoyment from ownership. So it's not quite as straightforward as it seems at first.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jkbarnes »

Stuart1 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:36 am I have some C5 aviators you could have purchased them in 2006 for about £300 which is there current value. Effectively, if I sold it I would have had a free watch.
Not when one accounts for inflation. £300 in 2006 isn’t quite the same as £300 now.
Andrew
“The first draft of anything is sh*t.” ~ Ernest Hemingway

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AMGT LE

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
Stuart1
Senior
Senior

Post by Stuart1 »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:53 pm
Stuart1 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:36 am I have some C5 aviators you could have purchased them in 2006 for about £300 which is there current value. Effectively, if I sold it I would have had a free watch.
Not when one accounts for inflation. £300 in 2006 isn’t quite the same as £300 now.
As others have said ‘I have used the watch for those years’. If I would have invested the same amount of money My return could have been higher than inflation.
Having said that we could all go out and buy Casio watches that are far more accurate than mechanical watches an only cost £10.00 but where would be enjoyment in that.
mlsej

Post by mlsej »

Thanks all! I was actually expecting (hoping?) that this would be the case.

I’ve had my eye on a few of the discontinued CW models for a while, which have proven nearly impossible to find on secondary. In fact, they were still in production when I first came across CW 4-5 years ago.

As a new “collector” (can you be a collector with an inventory of 0?), I have no issue with going the pre-worn route and have no intention to re-sell. Just looking to maximize bang for my buck as I get started.

Anyway, didn’t mean to hijack the thread. Thanks again for the insight.
thomcat00
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by thomcat00 »

mlsej wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:53 pm As a new “collector” (can you be a collector with an inventory of 0?), I have no issue with going the pre-worn route and have no intention to re-sell. Just looking to maximize bang for my buck as I get started.

Anyway, didn’t mean to hijack the thread. Thanks again for the insight.
“Aspiring collector,” perhaps? My first CW was second hand, as true for about a third of my CWs.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair