Does this bother anyone else?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
zeedubbya

Does this bother anyone else?

Post by zeedubbya »

REALLY want to add this (IMHO) gorgeous watch to the collection, but I just can’t bring myself to get over cutting off the 6 for some reason. Should I just get over it and pick up the LE pictured (from Ward Hoard), or keep hunting for a non-COSC. Any other advice on LE or non-LE? Advantages to COSC on a Quartz? Thanks for any insight for a newbie.
118E17A3-8C1D-4418-8B6A-2F9F6088692F.jpeg
Zane

Christopher Ward Trident C60 600 MK3
Christopher Ward C65 Trident Auto
Christopher Ward C3 Morgan Chronograph
Seiko Solar Chronograph
Rolex Submariner “Hulk”
Citizen Eco Drive(s)
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 5

Re: Does this bother anyone else?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Can’t say it has ever bothered me. Number-munching chronographs are a deal breaker for some people, but I must admit I don’t even notice.

My advice to anyone who is bothered by it is: buy something else.

Quartz COSC movements tend to be good quality and even more accurate than ordinary quartz. As to limited editions, the chances of bumping into anyone wearing a Christopher Ward watch are relatively remote, and pretty much no-one you meet would recognise what it was, so again it really wouldn’t bother me that there were only 150 or 300 copies of my watch extant.

Just my own view, obviously, but there are more important things in life.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
strapline
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Personally I'd probably be more bothered by the omission of the 4, I think that could have been fitted in comfortably given it would have been a smaller numeral. A general rule of thumb from me: if there's something that irks you about a watch dial, look for another watch. You'll spend a lot of time looking at that dial and things probably won't get any easier on the eye.

Des
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. T Soprano
Soporsche
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Soporsche »

Cut numbers bother me, learnt from experience and won't acquire a watch now which has them. However, its entirely personal and that's just me. Some things that bother other watchies may not matter to me.
PS I've owned the above model and its a niece piece (despite the 6) 🙂
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
andybarry87
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by andybarry87 »

I agree with the others above, once I see something that annoys me it just gets bigger and bigger every time I look at it!
C4 Peregrine
C60 Trident GMT 600
C65 Dartmouth
C8 P2725 (incoming!)
C900 Single Pusher
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 25
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Chronograph? Munched numbers? Some do, some don't.

Does it bother me? That depends on the overall size / style / design of the watch. In general probably not as I like Chronograph watches and it's a fact of life with them.

COSC movement? More accurate than standard and this one gives you centre minutes and seconds hands; which I find easier to read.

Having looked at WardHoard's listing, it appears to be as mint as they come for a used watch (Dan's words).

You pays yer money, takes yer choice. :wink: :wink:

Guy

PS> More details in the CWArchive

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

C1 GBT| C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB LE| C5 FLE| C7 Apex| C7 MkI 47AD| C7 MkII Harrier
C8 Reg LE| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 Al Deere| C9 FLE| C9 Me109 SPC LE| C11 Mak Navy| C40
C60 FLEx2| C60 Bronze GMT| C60 AbyssSH21-Apex-Blue-Chrono-Concept-Elite P'type |C65 AMGT 2VEV
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

Depends how much of the numerals are munched - in this case it would be too much for my taste. If the bulk of the number were retained, I would be OK with it but for this design an enlarged baton at 2, 6 & 10 would have been better in my opinion.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
MichaelMD
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by MichaelMD »

You really want to freak out check out the 10

The lack of 4 bugs me more than anything else, but overall I like the watch and that wouldn't keep me from buying it.
scampbell61
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by scampbell61 »

My mother would say, "If you truly do not love her now, getting married will not change anything".
Stewart

"Die with memories, not dreams."

C65-Dartmouth
C65-Trident
C63-Sealander
Jkpa
Expert
Expert

Post by Jkpa »

I hated chopped off numerals like that. I would not buy it.
C1 Grand Malvern Small Second SH21
C60 MK2 Trident Pro 7750 Chronograph
C60 MK2 Trident Pro White
C60 MK2 Trident Pro Yellow 316 LE
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 2

Post by missF »

I quite like munched numbers but I do think some are done better than others. This one is a bit asymmetrical with the 4, 6 and 10 gone wonky, so I like it a bit less. Still, what I think is of no importance- it’s your eye it’s going to catch every time you check the time...
'The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once'........Albert Einstein
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Reading this thread top-down I was already in "wait a minute" mode and thought your homily (or your mother's) was an appropriate point to step in.
scampbell61 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:42 pm My mother would say, "If you truly do not love her now, getting married will not change anything".
Maybe I'm the first to reply whose glass is always at least half-full rather than half-empty but I maintain that things can, and do, improve with time. I bet, if asked, your ma would say that she loved your dad even more for having lived with him.

Of the watches I've flipped quickly on the YES?/NO? question I need more than one hand to count those which I've gone on to buy again. Crikey if it was a matter of substandard lume I wouldn't own a single CW.

Coming back to address the OP's questions about the C3 Malvern Chrono and COSC or non-COSC: you will come across more of the non-COSC variants simply due to production numbers and then you're faced with a case and dial colour choice. And the 6 numeral treatment is different.

As MissF says
missF wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:10 pm I quite like munched numbers but I do think some are done better than others. This one is a bit asymmetrical with the 4, 6 and 10 gone wonky, so I like it a bit less. Still, what I think is of no importance- it’s your eye it’s going to catch every time you check the time...
It's your call chap, just show us the pictures haha :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
C60 MKI COSC black, MKI black GMT,
C60 MKII Day Date LE, GMT White, LE SH21 x2, ACAN, Bronze Ombre LE,
C60 MKIII Ombre COSC, Elite 1000 GMT,
C6 K'fisher x6,
C60 K'fisher x3
C600 Tritech x 3,
C63 Elite
C65 Anthropocene. Blue h/w,
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

And the 4 and 10 are affected. The 4 is particularly strange. In some ways it's poor design. Maybe better to have no numbers than cut them off I think.
zeedubbya

Post by zeedubbya »

I have already learned a lot from the responses here. Thank you. “munched numbers” is a new term to me. Thank you for all the responses. I will patiently wait for the right non-COSC to come along. With the extra cost and the annoyance of the munched 6 seems my decision is an easy one. I hope.
Zane

Christopher Ward Trident C60 600 MK3
Christopher Ward C65 Trident Auto
Christopher Ward C3 Morgan Chronograph
Seiko Solar Chronograph
Rolex Submariner “Hulk”
Citizen Eco Drive(s)
MichaelMD
Senior
Senior

Post by MichaelMD »

This watch would have worked much better w/o the date window. Put a 4 there and the broken numbers would be just fine. The off center date window spoils the whole look, and I have no idea why they replaced the 4 with an arrow. Looks weird.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk