Do I Have Too Many Quartz Chronographs

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Do I Have Too Many Quartz Chronographs

Post by Leon O »

I have too many watches, and I've been wondering if I have too many Quartz Chronograph watches; they make up about more than 30% of my collection. Should I start paring back on the chronographs so I can pursue other types of interesting watches.

I'm at the point where I need to bring some discipline my watch collecting habits. Any advice.or perspectives about managing a watch collection would be appreciated. :)
20220421_175644.jpg
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Do I Have Too Many Quartz Chronographs

Post by tikkathree »

Leon O wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:06 pm I have too many watches, and I've been wondering if I have too many Quartz Chronograph watches; they make up about more than 30% of my collection. Should I start paring back on the chronographs so I can pursue other types of interesting watches.

I'm at the point where I need to bring some discipline my watch collecting habits. Any advice.or perspectives about managing a watch collection would be appreciated. :)
20220421_175644.jpg
Not at all, wear what you like best. Discipline will come with time. :oops: :oops: :oops:
C60 MKI COSC black MKI black GMT
C60 MKII Day Date LE GMT White LE SH21 x2 ACAN Bronze Ombre LE
C60 MKIII Ombre COSC Elite 1000 GMT Concept Wave
C6 K'fisher x6,
C60 K'fisher x3
C600 Tritech x 3,
C63 Elite
C65 Anthropocene. Blue h/w
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Whether it is too many or not is a question only you can answer, Leon. For me it would be too many. I let several quartz chronographs go fairly recently because I wasn’t wearing them. I have tried consciously to avoid too much repetition in the box over the last couple of years.

My “top box” now consists of eight very different watches. The only brand repetition is CW with three, but they are all very different. As a result there is nothing that really gets overlooked, though some are worn less than others. But I feel that at last I have a mixture of styles, brands and functions in that box that I’m really happy with, and there is no dead wood.

There are plenty of people, I know, who have several iterations of the same watch in different colours. That is something I have very much avoided recently. It works for them, but not for me. I will be interested to see the reactions to your question.

Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 5

Post by missF »

Let me tell you how to go about finding your One Watch..... :lol: :oops:
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

missF wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:36 pm Let me tell you how to go about finding your One Watch..... :lol: :oops:
Leon…step back…NOW! :escape:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

The top two both look to be similarly sized with black dials, bezels and straps in steel cases - they may have a different sub-dial arrangement but they would be too similar for me to keep both.

Assuming you actually use the chrono function you could swap one of them for a red/orange/yellow one and I'd not say you have too many.
These users thanked the author suicidal_orange for the post:
Leon O
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

The term 'Too Many' is not a thing, imo..nice collection!!.. :thumbup:
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
C60 GMT 600/C63 Sealander GMT/2 C65 SH21 LE's/C65 Khaki,Black,Blue dials/C65 Bronze Ombre LE, Dartmouth & GMT/C8 Power Reserve.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 5

Post by missF »

So firstly I’d say that abstract questions like ‘do I have too many quartz chronos?’ don’t help you because that means you’re looking for other people to tell you how your collection should be. Perhaps you’d be happiest with a collection full of quartz chronos?

What helped me last time round the cycle when I wanted to cut down numbers was to run a wee series of experiments to see how i actually felt in my gut about particular watches, rather than my head. Gut makes better decisions because it can’t be fooled.

So set up the first experiment. As an example- perhaps you want to find out what it would be like if you cut the chronos down by half. So take half the chronos (doesn’t matter how you choose - might as well toss a coin) and put them in a cupboard. You are not allowed to look at them. Leave the door shut. Then run your rotation as before. Give it a few weeks - maybe a month. In that time you’ll know if your gut is giving you a niggle - either there will clearly be a watch or watches that you miss wearing, in which case resurrect them, or you’ll realise that you can do without a watch altogether because you haven’t missed it, in which case leave it in the cupboard to be sold.

You can set the experiment up with any subset of watches. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 2):
gannetLeon O
exHowfener
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by exHowfener »

It's all a matter of perspective and deciding what you want to collect, is there a theme you are following? Having a theme makes it a collection rather than random acquisitions that may or may not hang together. Had you set out to collect quartz chronographs, then with four, you're just getting started. Should you decide that you don't really like quartz chronographs, then you have four too many.
But the simplest answer is that if you look at your collection and think "I have too many ..." or think " I'd like some more ..." then you're probably right.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

You mention these half a dozen quartz chronos represent about 30% of your collection.

Why quartz?

Do you have any other (mechanical) chronos?

If not, how about consolidating several of the quartz chronos, into a mechanical chrono?

Guy
To see the World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour - William Blake

Sundial
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by Leon O »

suicidal_orange wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:51 pm The top two both look to be similarly sized with black dials, bezels and straps in steel cases - they may have a different sub-dial arrangement but they would be too similar for me to keep both.

Assuming you actually use the chrono function you could swap one of them for a red/orange/yellow one and I'd not say you have too many.
I do like the way chronographs look, but I never use the functions. Thanks for sharing you perspective on the black chronographs. That is an excellent point of view to work from.

The blue and green C7 Rapides are my most worn, so they are keepers for sure. Surprisingly (to me ) I wear the Trident more often than the AM GT. I don't think I bonded with it because the AM GT was not truly the last quartz model issued by CW.

I like the C3 as a business watch, but I'm now a full time remote worker, and I can wear a C5 Malvern on those rare times when I wear a suit.

I'm hoarder and can always use a nudge to part with my treasures.

Thanks all for humoring me work this out my issue on the forum.

Leon
These users thanked the author Leon O for the post:
Thegreyman
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595
exHowfener
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by exHowfener »

It's like a cheaper version of visiting a psychiatrist, thus saving you money to spend on watches.
These users thanked the author exHowfener for the post (total 4):
suicidal_orangeBahnstormer_vRSLeon Othomcat00
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

exHowfener wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:46 pm
It's like a cheaper version of visiting a psychiatrist, thus saving you money to spend on watches.

. . . . .except we're such a bunch of enablers that it ends up costing you more. :-k :-k

:lol: :lol:

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
Leon O
To see the World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour - William Blake

Sundial
Catsteeth-CW

Post by Catsteeth-CW »

I love Quartz and bought my ultimate personal quartz, SBGV 207 with the 9F. I currently have one other, and have just sold another.

But I don't like too many quartz, because like having to service auto/mechanical watches, you have to keep changing the battery.
So with that and your max collection size tolerance. I get itchy over 8 and very itchy over 12. That's gives you your answer.

Battery changing tolerance PLUS
Max collection(s) size GIVES
Number of quartz Chronographs.

See, makes total sense 🤔😉
These users thanked the author Catsteeth-CW for the post:
Leon O
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Leon O wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:48 pm
I do like the way chronographs look, but I never use the functions.
I wouldn’t worry, when did logic and common sense apply to this shared compulsion of ours!

Maybe tune to try a mechanical chrono though?
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post (total 2):
Bahnstormer_vRSCatsteeth-CW
Patrick

C60 FLE Scooter Blue, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife)

Some others + a few on the way