Demag tool

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Timishere
Senior
Senior

Demag tool

Post by Timishere »

Hi all,

Just a public service announcement, which may have been covered before but sharing my experience nevertheless.

My C65 was running about 5 secs per day fast, which is pretty good and perfectly acceptable BUT I still thought it would be interesting to try demagnetising.

I bought the cheapest one in ebay with a couple of decent reviews (that seemed genuine, though hard to tell of course) which arrived on Tuesday.

I duly followed instructions from a chrono24 YouTube video and now the watch is running dead on (over the last 48 hours). Pretty cool I thought for anyone else interested to try.
IMG_20211014_105756.jpg
Laird
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 66

Re: Demag tool

Post by Laird »

I tried with the same Model on my C65 GMT, which is gaining over a minute per day - a small compass seemed to indicate it was magnetized ... didnt get a result tho ... ho hum ...
|C70s|C7 BB, IRR, BRG, RC, Hornet, Valjoux|C3 GT|C4 Phoenix|C40 SpeedHawk|C5 BoB, Aviator|C8 Pilots*3, UTC & AD|C60 316L Y, O, B, GMT, DD Valjoux|C65 316LE,Classic LE, 2VEV|C1 WT|C9 Pulse, JH2, AMGT, SSH21|C11 HRDC & Makaira|
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

No cause for alarm- but a quick cautionary tale-

offtopic/quick-heads-up-about-cheap-dem ... er#p812829
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Timishere
Senior
Senior

Post by Timishere »

That's good to know - I won't leave it plugged in!

Laird - did you do the "slowly move away manoeuvre thing" as I believe that is crucial? Alternatively, if you ever find yourself near Potters Bar you can try mine out.
These users thanked the author Timishere for the post:
Laird
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Bident »

^^^^Sometimes for me, it will take several attempts to demagnetize a watch.
Best regards,
John
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by richtel »

It’s also a good idea to do it a coulpe of times rotating the watch/movement by 90 degrees after each. Since the magnetic flux from the demagnetiser will be in one orientation only between the open-sided formers of the iron core, it’s good to have it act on the movement in orthogonal 12/6 and 3/9 orientations.
These users thanked the author richtel for the post (total 2):
LairdTortoise
Rich

Laird
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Laird »

Timishere wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:54 pm That's good to know - I won't leave it plugged in!

Laird - did you do the "slowly move away manoeuvre thing" as I believe that is crucial? Alternatively, if you ever find yourself near Potters Bar you can try mine out.
Yes, religiously followed the destructions - might try again with the new info on this thread
|C70s|C7 BB, IRR, BRG, RC, Hornet, Valjoux|C3 GT|C4 Phoenix|C40 SpeedHawk|C5 BoB, Aviator|C8 Pilots*3, UTC & AD|C60 316L Y, O, B, GMT, DD Valjoux|C65 316LE,Classic LE, 2VEV|C1 WT|C9 Pulse, JH2, AMGT, SSH21|C11 HRDC & Makaira|
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by richtel »

Laird wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:10 pm
Timishere wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:54 pm That's good to know - I won't leave it plugged in!

Yes, religiously followed the destructions - might try again with the new info on this thread
Might want to see if it actually is magnetised. A cheapo compass is a great tool to go alongside a demagnetiser- you can see if it needs it and you can see if it worked :)
Rich

Laird
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Laird »

Laird wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:23 pm I tried with the same Model on my C65 GMT, which is gaining over a minute per day -
richtel wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:42 pm
Laird wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:10 pm

Might want to see if it actually is magnetised. A cheapo compass is a great tool to go alongside a demagnetiser- you can see if it needs it and you can see if it worked :)

I did mention I had in original Post !

a small compass seemed to indicate it was magnetized ... didnt get a result tho ... ho hum ...