Dartmouth or Aquitaine

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Neyther

Dartmouth or Aquitaine

Post by Neyther »

Hey guys, I want to buy my first watch and I'm struggling with this choice.
So my thoughts comparing these two are that C65 Dartmouth Black movement is COSC certified, the design is more universal and fits all situations.
On the other hand, C65 Aquitaine White Sand/Green has a cleaner dial, nice warm colors, a date, a sapphire bezel, slightly better lume, and according to SEO - new better bracelet.

Is COSC certification makes a big difference for CW watches or do they have good settings and precision from the box with SW200-1?
What would you pick from these two?
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Dartmouth or Aquitaine

Post by golfjunky »

Dartmouth all day long
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Bretling Aerospace Evo, Vinatge Azur, Vintage dressy Seiko & SBGX059
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jkbarnes »

This is an impossible question for anyone to answer for you. COSC certification is not that important to me and is therefore either a non-issue in selecting a watch or only a secondary consideration.

As for the look, again, only you can answer that question. I’d probably go with the Aquitaine auto over the Dartmouth or the Aquitaine GMT. It’s due to pure personal preference and not a anything objective and quantifiable about either watch.
Andrew
“Everything’s better when you feel guilty.” ~ Anthony Bourdain

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AMGT LE

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by ajax87 »

I don’t think CW regulates the standard Sellitas that go out the door. I have a couple that are within 1-5 seconds/day, and a couple others that are -10 and +15 spd. All within Sellita’s rated tolerance of -20 to +20 spd.

It’s personal preference how much that matters to you. I wear a +15spd watch as happily as an Omega co-axial chronometer. Aesthetics matter more to me than timekeeping usually.
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
jkbarnes
Alex
C5A Mk1|C60 Sapphire, Abyss, GMT|C65 SC, 316L LE|C63 Auto|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster racing|Hamilton Intramatic chrono|Shinola Runwell auto|Tissot|Timex|RZE Endeavor & Fortitude
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by rkovars »

Not to muddy the waters any but the Aquitaine bracelet will fit the Dartmouth so you could always get the Dartmouth on a strap and get the bracelet separately. The difference is about $100 US but you do get two straps in the deal.

The lume on the Dartmouth is great.
20200610_200943065_iOS (2).jpg
It looks great on bracelet or strap.
20201120_185617467_iOS (2).jpg
20210930_133256151_iOS (2).jpg
20200622_140529600_iOS (2).jpg

In the end I think it boils down to whether you want a watch inspired by the vintage Seamasters and MilSubs that were issued to the MOD or a watch inspired by the 50s Blancpain and other dive watches of the era. They are both great and whatever you choose I don't think you will be disappointed. Just remember, if you get them both you are still only about 1/5 of the cost of a Sub :lol: Beware, we are enablers in these parts :lol:
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 3):
ajax87JasperCatcincfleet
"The cure for anything is salt water - tears, sweat and the sea."
Isak Dinesen

Current CW = C65 Trident GMT, C65 Dartmouth, C60 Trident Ombré COSC LE, C65 Super Compressor
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

rkovars wrote: In the end I think it boils down to whether you want a watch inspired by the vintage Seamasters and MilSubs that were issued to the MOD or a watch inspired by the 50s Blancpain and other dive watches of the era. They are both great and whatever you choose I don't think you will be disappointed. Just remember, if you get them both you are still only about 1/5 of the cost of a Sub Image Beware, we are enablers in these parts Image

That's about how I see it.

All a matter of personal preference.

Guy

PS> Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

To see the World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour - William Blake

Sundial
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

rkovars wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:57 pm Not to muddy the waters any but the Aquitaine bracelet will fit the Dartmouth so you could always get the Dartmouth on a strap and get the bracelet separately. The difference is about $100 US but you do get two straps in the deal.

The lume on the Dartmouth is great.

20200610_200943065_iOS (2).jpg

It looks great on bracelet or strap.

20201120_185617467_iOS (2).jpg

20210930_133256151_iOS (2).jpg

20200622_140529600_iOS (2).jpg

In the end I think it boils down to whether you want a watch inspired by the vintage Seamasters and MilSubs that were issued to the MOD or a watch inspired by the 50s Blancpain and other dive watches of the era. They are both great and whatever you choose I don't think you will be disappointed. Just remember, if you get them both you are still only about 1/5 of the cost of a Sub :lol: Beware, we are enablers in these parts :lol:
^^Same here..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
C60 GMT 600/C63 Sealander GMT/2 C65 SH21 LE's/C65 Khaki,Black,Blue dials/C65 Bronze Ombre LE, Dartmouth & GMT/C8 Power Reserve.
Gar787
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 7

Post by Gar787 »

For me…Dartmouth…every time.
PHIL
Blackdog
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Blackdog »

rkovars wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:57 pm Not to muddy the waters any but the Aquitaine bracelet will fit the Dartmouth.....
Is this confirmed ? I'm also a happy Dartmouth owner, but would consider a more tapered bracelet a big improvement over the stock one...

More on topic, I like all the changes introduced on the Aquitaine, but not enough to get one at this point.

Bottom line is like others have said, one is inspired by the SM300, the other by the BPFF/Big Crown. Which one do you like the best ?
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

golfjunky wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:14 pm Dartmouth all day long
Agree.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by rkovars »

Blackdog wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:02 am
rkovars wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:57 pm Not to muddy the waters any but the Aquitaine bracelet will fit the Dartmouth.....
Is this confirmed ? I'm also a happy Dartmouth owner, but would consider a more tapered bracelet a big improvement over the stock one...
In the launch call with CW the designer confirmed it would fit the C65 MK1 case.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Blackdog
"The cure for anything is salt water - tears, sweat and the sea."
Isak Dinesen

Current CW = C65 Trident GMT, C65 Dartmouth, C60 Trident Ombré COSC LE, C65 Super Compressor
Neyther

Post by Neyther »

Thank you guys for your thoughts on this!
rkovars wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:57 pm Not to muddy the waters any but the Aquitaine bracelet will fit the Dartmouth so you could always get the Dartmouth on a strap and get the bracelet separately.
That's a really good point and I was going to do so, but I've reached the CW support and they told me that the bracelet will not fit the C65 Dartmouth cause it has a different connection and taper as it is the new "Screw link" bracelet. So now I'm slightly confused.
Also, where did you get this beautiful khaki nato strap from the last picture?
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by Leon O »

I'd go with the Aquitaine. It looks sleeker and cleaner to me. Plus, it is an unusual colorway.

Leon
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595