CWL Numbering System

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Terminator

CWL Numbering System

Post by Terminator »

I am curious as to how Chris actually numbers his watches. I have a C4 Peregrine C4SSS which has the number 0269. Now does that mean I have the C4SSS-0269 or does it mean that I have a C4-0269. The reason I ask is because if I then buy a Brown Italian Leather "Duo-Fast" Strap for it then my watch has actually become a C4SST. That would then mean that there were two C4SST's branded number 0269. Or the person who bought the C4SST-0269 buys the steel bracelet then their watch becomes a duplicate of mine. Of course it is unlikely to ever become a problem but if in 100 years or so and CWL has become the Rolex of the 22nd Century then it might cause problems if my heirs ever come to sell it lmao. I am really just curious as to how he actually numbers the watches. If anyone knows the answer then let us know.

:wink:
Hans
Administrator Emeritus - Founder
CW-watches: 7
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Hans »

I assume that the numbering is done on the collection-level, so there is one range for the C4, one range for the C5, etc...
jamestux
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by jamestux »

From the answer that I got to my kingfisher automatic number request, it is for the model, not the model/strap combo (not even the colour I assume)

[Chris] the serial numbers would be different...as essentially a different model... Mk I and MK II and all that

I was after a number that I thought might get taken by the quartz adoptees.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Thanks for the replies but I think we are all guessing. It would be nice to get an official response on the numbering though. Perhaps Hans can clarify with Chris the next time they speak.
jamestux
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by jamestux »

Terminator wrote:Thanks for the replies but I think we are all guessing. It would be nice to get an official response on the numbering though. Perhaps Hans can clarify with Chris the next time they speak.
My response was a direct quote from Chris - the only thing that he didn't elaborate on was whether or not colours were labelled indivdually but I think that by not saying that he implies it is for the model not the colours - I'm happy to wait for Hans to get an official response though.
Hans

Post by Hans »

I am going to plan a conference-call with Chris, and let you guys now as soon as possible. :wink:
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

jamestux wrote:the only thing that he didn't elaborate on was whether or not colours were labelled indivdually.
That is my question James. Is it the models or the colour combos.
jamestux wrote:but I think that by not saying that he implies it is for the model not the colours.
By thinking indicates we are all guessing. :wink:

All joking aside it will be great if Hans could clarify for sure.
Hans

Post by Hans »

Talked with Chris: there is 1 range for each model, so you can never have a blue C4 and black C4 with the same number.

With one exception: the ladies w1: CW started the w1sss and w1sks from 0001 upwards, but this double range stopped at 250, from 251 and on all w1's have also a unique number.