CW.usa.com vs CW.co.uk

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
learkoff

CW.usa.com vs CW.co.uk

Post by learkoff »

I noticed there is an American version and a UK version of the site. Is there any differences aside from shipping costs? As a Canadian, it seems a lot closer to get it from the US site, but something inside of me feels like it would be more authentic/proper to order from across the ocean.

Maybe this is just silly, but I thought I'd ask anyways.

Thanks,
Learkoff
Bablo
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Re: CW.usa.com vs CW.co.uk

Post by Bablo »

I think the US site is just to deal with currency conversions and elimination of the EU tax/VAT which works out to about 16% on most watches. All watches are shipped out from the CW office in the UK as far as I know. I live in Canada and order on the UK site. I get charged the non EU price in British pounds on my credit card and the conversions are done at current exchange rates on the day my card is charged. Works out well for me with no complaints so far. The way I see it, paying in USD will also require a currency conversion to CAD anyway. These days I just send Wera an email directly and process my orders that way without using the web site. Hope this helps.
Bablo
C9FLE, C5 Malvern Auto MKI, C5 Aviator MKII, C5 Malvern Auto MKII, C11 Titanium Elite
Incoming -
Wish list - C20FLE
PaulWB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 62
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by PaulWB »

The difference between the EU/non EU price is the 20% VAT in the UK. This is similar to the Canadian GST/HST (although that varies by Province). I was in Alberta recently and their rate of GST is 5% but I know other provinces charge more.

It is probably easier to use the UK site and let Wera and team sort out removing the VAT element (since the charge to your credit card or Paypal will be at the prevailing exchange rate).
C1, C2, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C11, W6, C7/C70, 2009 FLE, 2012 FLE Red, 2013 FLE, 2015 FLE, C9 JH2, C900 WT

Member CWL Double Figures Club
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

The USA site is for several reasons. One is that many people (USA) just can't be bothered dealing with a company that doesn't post USA dollars on the website. The USA site solves that problem as well as providing a certain comfort level for USA buyers.

Also having a USA domain helps with search engines and such.

Regardless of what site, all shipments are still coming from Maidenhead.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

They ship from the UK regardless. Using PayPal, I always save a little bit of money ordering through the UK site. The US site helps when browsing watches to buy and calculating prices.
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

As another fellow Canadian, it is a few dollars cheaper to order directly from the UK site. As stated by other posters, CW always takes off the VAT and send it via the postal system (verus courier). Postal sysytem has a MUCH better chance of arriving without CBSA hitting you for GST and processing fees. Couriers will 100% of the time plus nail you a HUGE customs clearing fee.

On my CW UK orders about 65% have gone through with no CBSA assessment, while 2 private sales from the USA both were assessed GST and processing.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy