CW returns

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Mike2795647
Senior
Senior

CW returns

Post by Mike2795647 »

Hi all,

Despite having owned over the years a number of CW watches, I’ve only ever returned one when it’s been unworn.

I took delivery of a Sealander on release, I’ve taken the stickers off the bracelet and resized it, although it’s mint condition as I’ve worn in on a nato strap. The watch itself is in equally mint condition as whilst it has been worn, it has only been done so 3-4 times in the house.

Does anyone know if this qualifies for a refund under the CW 60/60 policy. I did think no, however in reality the 60 day return period must be designed to give people, a degree of time to try the watch on, however not sure what does qualify.

Can anyone help and confirm

Cheers
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: CW returns

Post by sproughton »

https://www.christopherward.com/60-guarantee.html

Bracelet resizing is fine as per the FAQ.

"If you aren’t happy with your watch for any reason, provided it is still in perfect condition and accompanied by all the original packaging and documentation..."

I suppose the definition of 'perfect condition' is subjective though.
Mike2795647
Senior
Senior

Post by Mike2795647 »

sproughton wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:42 am https://www.christopherward.com/60-guarantee.html

Bracelet resizing is fine as per the FAQ.

"If you aren’t happy with your watch for any reason, provided it is still in perfect condition and accompanied by all the original packaging and documentation..."

I suppose the definition of 'perfect condition' is subjective though.
Many thanks for this, missed that bit completely, much appreciated
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 19

Post by Deks »

I could be wrong but as it's been worn it won't be in perfect condition under magnification. You may find on returning the watch they make an offer based on the initial price.

Let us know how you get on as it will interesting know what happens
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Maybe CW ought to make it perfectly clear what counts as "new". I would be reluctant to remove stickers, remove the hang tag, and certainly not resize a bracelet if I thought I might return a watch.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 5

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

JAFO wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:01 pm Maybe CW ought to make it perfectly clear what counts as "new".
Or, let’s look at it from a slightly different angle. Let us say that you try on a watch in an AD store. Pre-Covid regulations here, obviously, but how many wrists has that watch been on? How many times has it been fiddled with, wound, set and reset? How many times has it made the journey to the window from the safe and back, and how many times has it sat out there in the sun all day?

Suppose you want to buy the watch, and they don’t have a box fresh example sitting in store? They offer you the one you have been trying on. Would you expect a little discount? I know I certainly would. I’m happy to buy a watch NN at discount and discover that it is absolutely perfect, but I would be unhappy to buy a watch as new, in the knowledge that someone had been wearing it.

Trying it on is one thing. The classic “few hours around the house on three or four occasions” is a different matter. I certainly wouldn’t want to give you full price for it.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
Cafu

Post by Cafu »

Well I don't know what laws apply in your countries, but in mine, items that have been bought on the internet usually have a no-questions-asked 14 day return policy. Basically the same as with Amazon, but only that the return window for Amazon is 30 days. During that period you can wear, resize and return it. Unless it is damaged of course. But there is no "price offer", they have to take it back when bought online. So I think CW shouldn't be offering you a price offer but take the item back and move on.

Who hasn't returned a purchase to Amazon after using/testing it for a couple of days? A camera, a phone, a sweater, shoes? Would you accept if Amazon came back to you with a price offer? Of course you wouldn't. I understand CW is not a giant as Amazon but most products sold on Amazon are sold by very small (usually 1 man/woman/circle) operation and they have to take it back for a full refund not only during the 14 day period but 30 day period. And if a tiny, small vendor on Amazon has to refund you in full, then CW also has to take it back for a full refund even if slightly used (no damage of course).

I mean you can buy a watch from chrono24 from a dealer and unless you damage it, you can return it within 14 days for a full refund.

It would be interesting to know how CW handles this. Quite a bummer if they don't handle it that way. Not that I return watches myself, but still a bummer if they handle it differently than what is basically a standard. Of course it sucks for a company but returns are part of the game.

And anyhow, on what grounds is the offer calculated? Let's say they offer you 80% or 95%, 55%, 73% of the paid amount, how is that calculated? Removing 1 link and wearing it for 2 days is 10% off, removing 2 links and wearing it for 50.5 hours is what 30% off or what?
You either decline taking it back because it is damaged, if still fully wrapped and obviously completely unworn you refund and sell it as new or if slightly worn but not damaged you refund in full and sell it as NN at a discount, eat the "loss" and move on. Since CW has no middle man and is the direct seller, CW has enough room to cover those small losses from returns, not to mention that you can make up for it in accounting.
strapline
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:12 pm
JAFO wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:01 pm Maybe CW ought to make it perfectly clear what counts as "new".
Trying it on is one thing. The classic “few hours around the house on three or four occasions” is a different matter. I certainly wouldn’t want to give you full price for it.
Then really what is a 60 days return policy about? Of course people are going to try on a watch multiple times at home, certainly with a brand that they can't find in high street stores. You can't expect people to be happy gazing at it and reading the instruction manual for up to 60 days. I guess this is where the NN offerings come in that crop up from time to time. Not meaning to sound argumentative, just my view.

Des
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. T Soprano
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

^^^^^^
Yes, I think that's what it means. In an AD you can try on display stock. I am not sure whether they would remove all the stickers or not. I am sure they would not resize a bracelet before purchase. You might have a watch on for a few minutes, but not a few hours.

So I think the home approval period gives a buyer a chance to assess the watch in the same way, and view the watch in person, as opposed to just seeing website pictures.

As I say, I think it would be better for CW to make it clear whether films can be removed or not, as otherwise it is a grey area.
5oclockhero
Junior
Junior

Post by 5oclockhero »

Slightly off topic, but just interested to know as I'm nearly ready to buy a C63, and you're obviously a CW fan too, what didn't you like about the watch?
C60 Mk III (42)
C63 Sealander GMT
C65 Super Compressor
Bremont U2 Blue
Tudor Black Bay 41
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 25
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

5oclockhero wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:33 pm Slightly off topic, but just interested to know as I'm nearly ready to buy a C63, and you're obviously a CW fan too, what didn't you like about the watch?
Explanation given by the OP in his Sales Corner listing;-
Mike2795647 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:17 pm Hi all,

As much as I love this watch, I’m a dive watch fan at heart and when on the hunt for a non dive watch I prefer 36mm so this is sadly a little to big for me. Watch is in excellent condition, it’s been worn a few times around the house, mainly on a nato so the bracelet is as new.

It’s running at +2 seconds per day which is probably the best CW I’ve ever owned in terms of accuracy. Will throw in the Tudor style grey single loop nato as well if I sell for asking price.

1. CW C63 Sealander - white dial on bracelet
A matter of personal preference?

Guy
C1 GBT| C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB LE| C5 FLE| C7 Apex| C7 MkI 47AD| C7 MkII Harrier
C8 Reg LE| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 Al Deere| C9 FLE| C9 Me109 SPC LE| C11 Mak Navy| C40
C60 FLEx2| C60 Bronze GMT| C60 AbyssSH21-Apex-Blue-Chrono-Concept-Elite P'type |C65 AMGT 2VEV
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 5

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It seems that it won’t be easy to get a consensus on this. And I will happily admit that I have absolutely no idea on how the matter sits with the law, trading standards or anything else of that ilk.

We often hear of people (some of whom freely admit it) that they order two or more watches with the intention of buying one and therefore returning the other(s). It does seem a little harsh that the company has to absorb the loss every time. Fair enough if the goods are damaged or not as advertised, but in the case of someone just deciding they don’t like it...? Well, perhaps we will have to agree to disagree.

I have always assumed, rightly or wrongly, that actions such as removing the stickers, cutting a hangtag, resizing a bracelet or wearing a watch for more than a couple of minutes (i.e. actually using it) constitutes a tacit acceptance of purchase, provided of course that it isn’t damaged and works as it should.

But I do take the point that it probably would be a good idea for the company to be specific about what they regard as “perfect condition”.

Perhaps the watchword should be “Keep yer stickers on, luv!” :wink:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

There are legal distance selling regulations. Retailers have to offer a minimum period for returns.. They must be able to expect customers to pay for the returns, as some on line retailers do ask customers to buy a return label. Even if it costs £10 to return a watch it's no more expensive than driving to town and schlepping around stores all day. It's better in many ways to get something home and consider it carefully. Retailers know this, and it's all part of their marketing strategy, so I don't think CW would be phased by processing returns at all, but no doubt they do want to able to sell the returned watch as new.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

My opinion - and it's only an opinion...

"Perfect condition" would mean that CW could put the returned watch straight back into stock for resale, following a quick inspection. That seems to be the official criteria of many other retailers who insist that packaging is intact etc.

The comment about resizing (earlier in the the thread) is, I think, misleading. When CW say "Bracelet resizing does not affect the 60:60 guarantee" I'm sure they are talking about resizing carried out by them at the point of sale, rather than some bloke with a rusty pin-pusher.

So, I would think removing the stickers and causing any other obvious signs of wear (or marks on the bracelet from resizing) would allow CW to refuse the full refund, although I'm sure they would use some common sense in applying this rule.
Richard
exHowfener
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

"Perfect condition" would mean that CW could put the returned watch straight back into stock for resale, following a quick inspection. That seems to be the official criteria of many other retailers who insist that packaging is intact etc
My thoughts exactly, if I wouldn't accept it as "new" as a purchaser, I wouldn't expect to return it for a full refund. Surely removing protective stickers is just asking for trouble, they are there for a reason.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left