Cricket/baseball

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
patmac
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 4

Cricket/baseball

Post by patmac »

I see there have been some exchanges on my post re Omega olympic timeclock failure in T/Square-some heated words re a baseball term! On the matter of taking things too seriously as said on a forum it is amazing how quickly these misunderstandings get out of hand. You have to keep a sharp look out for that little devil irony ( I believe it puzzles our American cousins ! ) ( See what I mean! ).
Now on the subject of cricket/baseball I just hate to think of the interminable hours and hours and hours I've spent in my youth on the outfield at cricket just waiting and hoping for SOMETHING, ANYTHING to happen! At least in baseball things do happen, even though I have no idea why!
I used to live near the Oval cricket ground in south London. There they have a weather vane in the form of Old Father Time on top of one of the buildings. He hasn't moved for years, much like the players on the field!
Ta ta for now :D
Fizzics
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Re: Cricket/baseball

Post by Fizzics »

Irony?

Is that like Goldy or Bronzy only made out of iron?* Yup, see what you mean!

*another Blackadder quotation courtesy of Baldrick
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I was having breakfast one morning at a B&B in Toronto. The gentleman across the table from me was from England. We were discussing his Canadian vacation, and he mentioned that he didn't understand baseball. I asked him if he could explain cricket... we declared a draw :) .
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
patmac
Junior
Junior

Post by patmac »

Lavaine wrote:I was having breakfast one morning at a B&B in Toronto. The gentleman across the table from me was from England. We were discussing his Canadian vacation, and he mentioned that he didn't understand baseball. I asked him if he could explain cricket... we declared a draw :) .
Cricket was once defined ( by me, actually! ) as ' televisual mogadon ' ! If you want a really good kip ( English ergot= deep sleep ) .As in: ' Just turn the telly on darling, the cricket, I'm feeling a bit tired ' Zzz zzz zzz....... Works every time! :lol:
highway62

Post by highway62 »

enjoyment of cricket is based on understanding. Once I explained the details of the game to my wife she became, and remains, a cricket addict! :lol:
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

patmac wrote:
Now on the subject of cricket/baseball I just hate to think of the interminable hours and hours and hours I've spent in my youth on the outfield at cricket just waiting and hoping for SOMETHING, ANYTHING to happen! At least in baseball things do happen, even though I have no idea why!
Now then, that's just not Cricket :D
RustyinRochester
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by RustyinRochester »

Being a Yank, I have grown up, understand and appreciate baseball. Unlike many other sports or games, it relates to our devotion to watches (and time) since it is a game played without a time limit. Cricket is one of the games upon which baseball is based but I don't really understand cricket except to note that like baseball, once you became a fan, great enthusiasm results in the playing and following of the game.

Baseball is pure American but is on the verge of being ruined, like most sports, by too much money flowing in and out of the game. Baseball is my favorite sport to watch...golf is my favorite sport to play. If you want to know more about baseball, view this...

"In comic strips, the person on the left always speaks first."
-George Carlin
patmac
Junior
Junior

Post by patmac »

I get more out of the individual sports like athletics, cycling, even enjoyed tennis-though no good at it-until McEnroe ruined it with all that shouting and arguing with everyone in sight. In the days of Laver, Roach, Ash, Rosewall etc it was a great game to watch, but now all that grunting and arguing have ruined it. At school I was a good cross-country and long-distance runner, played field hocky, and badminton. I should have saved some of that energy, I need it now! Still a cyclist, though the hills are definitely getting tougher!
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Thanks for that clip Rusty...haven't watched the whole thing in quite some time. It still kills me! :lol:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

Hey patmac......

I dispute you enjoying Laver and the rest when they played tennis....cause it must have been in Black and White ! I had to think back to my Grandparents talking about them !!!

However I agree modern tennis is boring to watch and teeth clenching when the women play....god knows what they are like making love !......must be good fun I imagine

John mac has changed a little now, as he is one of the pundits on radio 5 live and a real pleasure to listen to, I can listed to it, but not watch.....which leads me onto test match cricket which must be really alien to Americans, as the game can last up to 5 days, with 90 6 ball overs per day min, and can still be decided in the last 6 balls bowled on the last day, and for us English and Aussie's be really exciting (not alot happens over here!)

For your interest (or not) I believe that the over arm fast bowling style we see now was first started by women who when playing in those massive dresses with hoops around them couldn't bowl "under arm", (this started I think before America was even discovered :lol: )

I think though Baseball is actually based on the British game of "rounders", only the ball is slightly smaller, you only get a small stick to hit the ball with, and hold it one handed, and no gloves to help you catch it. Maybe we should make it an Olympic event for 2012?

The sad thing about sport for me is that I am starting to get to the age where it all hurts, and for a country that invented most of the best sports in the world.....we are crap at them....as every one plays out of their skins to beat the English, and it appears to many of us less talented sports men who would bleed their last drop of blood for their country, that many of our top sportsmen look in different and devoid of any pride when pulling on my countries shirt! (Welshmen excepted when singing the anthem before a rugby match....against England)

Being English I don't understand American Football, I went to a match in Jacksonville FL once, we were in there for what felt like hours for 4 15 min 1/4's.......the only thing that kept me awake was the beautiful girls we tried to chat up, who unfortunately for us were only keen on our accent, and we were only really interested in what was in their knickers...happy days, but after the game in a bar (because the game was alcohol free (boring)) it culturally was loads more interesting when we obviously were miles better looking when they were drunk.....but that's a different type of sport altogether 8)
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
trentski
Senior
Senior

Post by trentski »

I'm a kiwi and find cricket boring, to play and to watch. I do however enjoy going to a baseball game whenever I am in the US of A. Not so keen on watching it on TV though.
patmac
Junior
Junior

Post by patmac »

Hi Jimbo
Yes, I was going back to the old black and white days on the box. I guess I must be getting ancient, it happens to us all eventually, though when you're young you never can imagine being old. As for today's lady tennis players I can't stand their grunting, but I do appreciate their looks! Even Russia's women sports people look attractively human these days, unlike the bone - crunchers of the old Soviet Union! Not that this has anything to do with watches, except to emphasise the passing of time.
In my youth I owned a Romer watch, bought by my dad in the market at Georgetown, Penang, Malaya. We were stationed there in the early/mid sixties. The masters at the school I went to all owned Gold Rolex, non of which kept accurate time. All were clever copies turned out by the local Chinese craftsmen, and could be bought at a fraction of the price of the real thing. Now that we are leaving the Empire of the Dollar for the Empire of the Yen we will all be able to own Gold Rolex, but there still will be no guarantee of accurate timekeeping!
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Although the baseball season officially opened yesterday, the hometown Boston Red Sox open today on the road in Texas.

I, for one, am planning on sitting back in my favorite chair, which doesn't get enough use, and enjoying opening day. A few magazines to catch up on some reading, a drink or two, my dogs all around, a fresh 6 inches of snow outside dropped overnight by a freak spring storm, and a good watch of a grand tradition. For a few hours of peace, quiet and tranquility I hope.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
downer

Post by downer »

Kip wrote:
I, for one, am planning on sitting back in my favorite chair, which doesn't get enough use, and enjoying opening day. A few magazines to catch up on some reading, a drink or two, my dogs all around, a fresh 6 inches of snow outside dropped overnight by a freak spring storm, and a good watch of a grand tradition. For a few hours of peace, quiet and tranquility I hope.
Sounds good to me. (Apart from the game of rounders). :lol:
Richard
patmac
Junior
Junior

Post by patmac »

Kip wrote:Although the baseball season officially opened yesterday, the hometown Boston Red Sox open today on the road in Texas.

I wish you hadn't mentioned the snow, brings back horrendous recent memories! The rest sounds great!