Discuss Christopher Ward watches
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Can I wear my watch while Golfing ?

Post by stefs »

Thegreyman wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:21 pm
nbg wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:37 pm Slight thread drift, but along similar lines, is it safe to run when wearing an automatic watch?

By run I actually mean run, not someone jogging at barely more than fast walking pace.

Neil
Going back to my post earlier in the thread of Omega testing their watches with forces up to 5,000g, I'm sure running at any pace, even if you are Usain Bolt or Mo Farah, will be absolutely fine. Even a F1 car "only" develops around 6g of lateral force when cornering.

Incidentally I played golf last night in my SMP, and it is still only -1 second for the past two days so I'm sure it's fine (I even got an eagle so definitely wearing it from now on as my lucky golf watch) :lol:
Short part 4 or reachable part 5.
I haven’t had an Eagle for bloody years
Cheers now, Paul
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

It's a very dangerous game Steve. No doubt about it.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

stefs wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:23 pm
Short part 4 or reachable part 5.
I haven’t had an Eagle for bloody years
Hi Paul, it was a short par 4, just over 240 yards, which I hit to about 20-25 feet short of the pin and my putt managed just to creep in the side door. I can only ever recall one other eagle I got about 20 years ago. I play golf literally a handful of times per year and am decidely average, which probably explains the rarity. I'm normally very excited if I even get a birdie!!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Interesting thread. I did start one but deleted it when a kind person pointed me at this one.

Having just acquired some clubs, I’m going to celebrate my retirement by taking up golf after a lapse of some 30 years during which time I have only played the occasional round of pitch and putt.

I’ll be starting off by taking some lessons and getting out on the driving range and the par-3 courses while I build up some skill and confidence (hopefully).

I will probably wear my Mako beater as it seems to suck up any kind of punishment! :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

I can’t stand wearing a watch when playing golf for two reasons.
Number 1 - I don’t want to know the time. I’m there to enjoy myself (which is a bit of an oxymoron as any golfer will tell you 🤪) not continually look at the time.
Number 2 - It makes me feel ‘off balance’ when I address the ball. Load of nonsense obviously but 90% of golf is in the head .....

Actually I do wear a ‘watch’ but it’s a Garmin GPS for yardages. I used to only carry a hand held GPS which I clipped to my bag but I found that the wristwatch GPS are so light now that they are practically unnoticeable.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by oberonfoto »

village wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:37 am Actually I do wear a ‘watch’ but it’s a Garmin GPS for yardages. I used to only carry a hand held GPS which I clipped to my bag but I found that the wristwatch GPS are so light now that they are practically unnoticeable.
The course that long that you need a GPS to find your way to the next hole?
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

As a non-golfer, I'm curious about the use of GPS trackers.

I get that they show you where you are precisely, to a foot or two (I guess), and the distance to the pin BUT doesn't that negate from the skill and experience of being able to judge distance and read the course with the ol' MkI eyeball?

A bit like driving a race car equipped with anti-lock brakes and traction control.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

You know how the pros are always looking in the book they carry? That is a yardage book where they have mapped out each hole to the yard and any hazards. They have also mapped every green. They only guess on yardage when they are very far off of the mark. Other than that they know almost exactly how far they are.

Depending on the event you may not be able to use yardage help (except for the book - I've never heard of not being able to use that). The spotting scopes are very popular in the US and some even measure elevation gain/drop. Sometimes you are allowed to use the scope but you have to turn off the elevation feature or use one that doesn't have it.

It really only helps with club selection. After that it is all up to you anyway.

I use my Apple Watch with an app because I like to track rudimentary stats like fairways/greens hit, penalties by type and number of putts per round. It gives me yardage to the front, middle and back of the greens. Most often you don't know exactly where the pin is located so it is just a starting point anyway. As an aside, the pros also have prior knowledge of where the pin will be on each hole prior to the tournament.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

To me, I'm a pretty good judge of distance, but the GPS just replaces the yardage books.
Lots of the courses I play don't offer them, which is a shame, because they're probably more accurate and give green layouts, contours etc.
Or there's the gadgets others use, I can't remember the name of, Yardage meters or similar, you look through them at the target and get a spot on yardage.
I think they're also more accurate than the watch and phone based GPS.

I use my phone, with the golf shot app.
Which keeps my score and works out the Stableford scoring too.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

^^^Apologies for any repeating, we must have written those replies, simultaneously.

Re. Driving a car with assists, I would let a computer do all the driving if I could.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

A dedicated golf GPS watch is very accurate. Depending on how much you spend you can get various features but all will give you the yardages to the front/middle/back of the green. Obviously they aren’t going to tell you to the flag as that moves daily. I regularly play with a bloke who is a slave to the scope and my watch tells me pretty much the same as his scope.

I used to only use Mk1 eyeball and I am pretty good at estimating yardages but the GPS watch is that much more accurate and allows more precise club selection. You can assess the yardage by eye and select,say, a 7 iron but when you use your GPS you change your mind and select an 8 iron. This club lands on the green...the 7 iron would’ve been off the back. It can make a difference although,In the end,it comes down to the individual golfer having a reasonable idea about how far they hit each club and then executing their swing. Easy then! 😂

Another advantage of GPS watches are if you are playing a new course. You can eyeball the yardage (as discussed) but when you are playing your home course you get used to yardages and associated landmarks. On a new course (or one you only sometimes play) you don’t have those reference points. Admittedly there are usually 100 yard markers or similar but that restricts you to a fairly narrow band. Yes,you can buy the course yardage guides,but they aren’t cheap and they soon add up!
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:45 pm As a non-golfer, I'm curious about the use of GPS trackers.

I get that they show you where you are precisely, to a foot or two (I guess), and the distance to the pin BUT doesn't that negate from the skill and experience of being able to judge distance and read the course with the ol' MkI eyeball?

A bit like driving a race car equipped with anti-lock brakes and traction control.

Guy

No matter how good you are at judging distances, a course that's been created by a top designer will have layout aspects that "fool" the eye into thinking a feature (green, flag, bunker, water etc) is closer or farther away than your brain and eyes are telling you or even totally hidden from sight. At your home course you'll get acquainted eventually with the layout and distances but at courses never previously played or infrequently played assistance is helpful and at times essential.

As a pro once said to me "You might know how far away the pin is but you've still got to hit the ball to that distance".
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:45 pm As a non-golfer, I'm curious about the use of GPS trackers.

I get that they show you where you are precisely, to a foot or two (I guess), a
Guy

Civilian GPS receivers are usually accurate to a 5-10m horizontal radius under clement conditions - not guaranteed and accuracy can deteriorate due to atmospheric conditions or even be switched off.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
gr4z
CW-watches: 1

Post by gr4z »

I used to wear my 2500 Planet Ocean when playing. Never had an issue for years. I’ve now got a Garmin Fenix for all sorts of sports and sometimes use a laser for Golf yardage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ Thanks for all your comments gents on the pros and cons of GPS trackers and how they get used. I am enlightened.

I hadn't realised that they are generally used as well as, or in lieu of, Yardage Books.

Overall though, I think that Mick's comment here is the most apt for the discussion;-
Mikkei4 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:33 pm As a pro once said to me "You might know how far away the pin is but you've still got to hit the ball to that distance".
It hasn't made me think of taking up Golf though.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England