Can a bracelet elevate an entire watch?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Can a bracelet elevate an entire watch?

Post by jkbarnes »

When I first acquired my C65 Trident Vintage, it was on a leather strap. I had little interest in a bracelet for it and thought it looked odd on a bracelet in the pics I’d seen. Somehow, I felt it threw off the proportions of the watch over all, that the bracelet just came off as too wide for the watch itself.

Last summer, for some reason, I decided to give the bracelet a go on the watch. Perhaps I was motivated by a “get it before it’s gone” mentality. I don’t know, but whatever the reason, I ordered a bracelet from CW. No regrets when it arrived. The quality was orders of magnitude beyond what I’d experienced with bracelets before. I sized the bracelet, mounted it to the watch, and had no regrets about buying it.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I decided the swap out the bracelet for a hybrid strap for a vacation at the end of the summer. I didn’t realize how much I love the bracelet until I took it off the watch! I simply don’t enjoy the watch as much off bracelet. It lost something without the bracelet. it’s not that I liked the watch less, or didn’t think it looked good on a strap, but something intangible was missing from the experience. I put the bracelet back on last Thursday and all seems right in the world with this watch.

I can’t explain it, but with the bracelet on my C65 Trident Vintage, 2+2 seems to add up to more that 4! The watch feels like so much more on the bracelet. I’ll probably never remove this watch from the bracelet again.

Anyone experience something similar with a watch/strap/bracelet combination?
Drew
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: Can a bracelet elevate an entire watch?

Post by Thegreyman »

I get what you are saying. The C65 Dartmouth I bought NN on the v2 hybrid which works well, however I managed to get a C65 bracelet from a WTB and I love the watch even more on a bracelet, just looks perfect.

I have toyed about getting a quality rubber strap for my Sub, however I think most of the Rolex SS range look best on a bracelet, and I think most people (but not all) agree.

As you say some watches are strap magnets and suit all of leather/rubber/bracelet. Interestingly, as a former owner of a C65 Vintage, it is definitely a watch I'd describe a strap magnet that looks good on anything.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Thegreyman wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:00 pm Interestingly, as a former owner of a C65 Vintage, it is definitely a watch I'd describe a strap magnet that looks good on anything.
I couldn’t agree more. It is absolutely a strap magnet, and I noted that as a strength of the watch when I reviewed it here. I certainly wasn’t trying to implying that I no longer think it looks good on a strap. It’s not so much that it’s “less than” on a strap so much as it’s “more so” on a bracelet for me.

And really, it’s not about appearances. It’s that intangible feeling I get with this watch on the bracelet. I’d compare it to guitars - my very first Fender Strat is neither my most expensive nor highest quality guitar I own. But something about it...it just feels right in my hands. It feels perfect, more so than another Strat I have that costs twice the price.
Drew
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

The correct bracelet or strap will elevate a watch. It's not exclusive to either.
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Fat-Sam »

Thegreyman wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:00 pm I get what you are saying. The C65 Dartmouth I bought NN on the v2 hybrid which works well, however I managed to get a C65 bracelet from a WTB and I love the watch even more on a bracelet, just looks perfect.

I have toyed about getting a quality rubber strap for my Sub, however I think most of the Rolex SS range look best on a bracelet, and I think most people (but not all) agree.

As you say some watches are strap magnets and suit all of leather/rubber/bracelet. Interestingly, as a former owner of a C65 Vintage, it is definitely a watch I'd describe a strap magnet that looks good on anything.
I did the same with my Dartmouth- picked it up nearly new on eBay the day CW put their prices up after a year of dithering. Nothing like a £50 rise to make me panic buy.... ridiculous in the scheme of how much I’ve wasted 😂

It came on the navy canvas strap which is comfy but doesn’t do the watch justice- once I picked the bracelet up it went from a good value proposition to a watch I couldn’t see myself selling.

Equally I love my speedmaster but the bracelet never quite felt right with it. It looks and feels amazing in a curved leather strap or NATO but the bracelet is just ok
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
Dayglow_01

Post by Dayglow_01 »

I bought my C65 on the leather strap in May last year and then purchased the metal bracelet in January this year. It's like having new watch. I still love the leather and the whole vintage feel but the bracelet gives it a completely different look. The sliding adjustment on the bracelet is also really handy for changes in wrist size throughout the day.

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

WalterSMonaco
Senior
Senior

Post by WalterSMonaco »

Ever since I got the steel bracelet for my c60 GMT it’s become my daily ...
Tag Heuer Monaco Cal 12
Tag Heuer Link Cal 16
Hamilton Khaki “Murph”
CW C60 Trident 600 Pro GMT
Tudor BB steel
Tudor BB GMT
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Fat-Sam wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:32 pm I did the same with my Dartmouth- picked it up nearly new on eBay the day CW put their prices up after a year of dithering. Nothing like a £50 rise to make me panic buy.... ridiculous in the scheme of how much I’ve wasted 😂

It came on the navy canvas strap which is comfy but doesn’t do the watch justice- once I picked the bracelet up it went from a good value proposition to a watch I couldn’t see myself selling.

Equally I love my speedmaster but the bracelet never quite felt right with it. It looks and feels amazing in a curved leather strap or NATO but the bracelet is just ok
Interesting! :)

I have both the C65 Dartmouth (blue dial) and standard Moonwatch.

Certainly for me - Dartmouth best on bracelet. Moonwatch best on straps.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:35 pm The watch feels like so much more on the bracelet. I’ll probably never remove this watch from the bracelet again.

Anyone experience something similar with a watch/strap/bracelet combination?
I seem to have a strap box full to bursting, many of which have only been worn a couple of times, combined with a watch box holding the majority of watches on the bracelet.

I reckon that tells you my thoughts on the matter. :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

My first foray into the world of CW was a mk2.5 C60 on rubber touch leather. I was chuffed to bits with it and thought it looked great.
Then I picked up a blue mk2 C60 in the sale on bracelet and wow, there was no comparison. The bracelet made it feel an infinitely better watch.

I have also tried a few straps on my GS and while the simple "oyster" bracelet is lacking in the adjustment dept., it is super comfortable (worn ever so slightly loose) and just looks like it belongs.
Been thinking for some time about getting a custom-made, grey Ostrich leg strap for it, but I have this feeling that it'll just sit in the box after the novelty has worn off.

That said, a proper fitted strap can look equally as good as a bracelet imo. It's a shame that none of my watches have that option. Maybe I should do something about that :?
Ryan
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

StrappedUp wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:55 am
That said, a proper fitted strap can look equally as good as a bracelet imo.
This!
I'm often amazed how few quality watches come with a properly 'fitted' strap. One feature alone e.g. curved ends to the case can make a huge difference to the overall aesthetic and impression of quality.
Re bracelets, I love the look on some watches but they never seem to feel just right on my wrist (too loose, too heavy, too flimsy, too tight) however much I adjust them.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Can a bracelet elevate an entire watch? Definitely!

Alternatively, the correct “non metal” strap can do the same.

I too, have the C65 Vintage Diver on camel leather. I wish I’d splashed out on a bracelet, when one was on offer on the Forum as I think it looks great on steel. I can’t bring myself to spend the current £165 being asked for a new one.

I always try to buy on bracelets, wherever possible, as you then have options that don’t necessarily break the bank. One of Downer’s rules. If you know, you know! :wink:

Having said that, my Tudor Ranger came on a bracelet but I adore it on a fraying and fading, olive canvas that cost me £20. It just looks “right” on it.
Steve.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

^^^ I must say I feel the same about my c65. I think a deployant clasp makes a big difference though.I had it on a watch gecko bracelet, but I have now fitted a deployant clasp to the camel strap, and love it. I think it's "knowing" that the deployant will keep the leather looking good for much longer.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Quick Update
While I feel the bracelet clearly elevates my C65 Trident Vintage, the same is not true for my C65 AM GT. Per Downer’s Rules, I bought it on a bracelet even though I intend to where it primarily on a strap. I put the bracelet back on for the last couple of days, and although it’s nice, I didn’t feel compelled to leave it on.

For me, the C65 AM GT is definitely a strap watch. I’m still looking for the perfect strap though. At the moment, I’m considering ordering this brown suede strap from the @thestraptailor and seeing if he can line it in a red leather to show through the perforations.

FE84DC48-EC7F-47EE-8374-4C54F40A88D3.jpeg
Drew