C9 vs IWC Portuguese: a blatant copy?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

C9 vs IWC Portuguese: a blatant copy?

Post by Wis »

On a Norwegian watch forum I promoted CW as a brand with a lot to offer. Some members voiced the view that the C9 range were blatant copies/homages of the IWC Portuguese range. I checked, and was rather taken aback to see how close the design of the C9 range was to the IWC. What do you think:

Bjørn
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Re: C9 vs IWC Portuguese

Post by Aifo »

Hammy, Glycine, Davosa and a few other brands also carry model closely resembling the Portuguese Chrono. I believe case diameter is difference and also other subtle details (like the subdial indexes) are different enough, and tbh though I haven't seen a c9 chrono in the flesh, but the IWC really stands out and I doubt CW version, although a very good watch in itself, can standup to the quality comparatively.

I think it's just a case of classic design.
Incoming: 0
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

Post by xtriple »

Bloody hell! That really is an outright copy! Like it though :D
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

Aifo wrote:I think it's just a case of classic design.
Surely classic design cannot be an argument for allowing others to rip it off? An Aalto vase,

is a classic design, but we would call it plagiarism if someone made something that was almost an exact copy!
Bjørn
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

Wis wrote:
Aifo wrote:I think it's just a case of classic design.
Surely classic design cannot be an argument for allowing others to rip it off? An Aalto vase,

is a classic design, but we would call it plagiarism if someone made something that was almost an exact copy!

I think Rolex would agree with you, as pretty much everyone (CWL included) copy their iconic design. CWL is at its best when it designs CWL watches, not homages to anyone else.
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

Tyke,

I don't think Rolex expects or can legitimately claim copyright to the diver's watch in general terms. Some thing surely are so generic as to be impossible to "own". There are a lot of diver's watches that can't be confused with a Submariner. The C60 to me is one of those, which is why I have the FLE on order. The Steinhart Ocean One however, is for me far too close to the Submariner's design. It is a blatant copy to be frank. The C9 is in the latter category, I'm sorry to say.
Bjørn
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: C9 vs IWC Portuguese: a blatant copy?

Post by Tyke »

Direct quote from CWL website

'The Trident series unashamedly takes its design cues from the iconic 1954 Rolex GMT Master'.

Yes they have tweaked the design to avoid it being a direct copy, but that's just about the same level of tweaking they've done on the C9 to stop it being an IWC.

CWL can & do design beautiful watches that aren't homages to anyone else, so they don't need to do it.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Having these side by side and comparing overall quality, looks and price It is an easy choice. I like IWC but for me it is difficult to justify the price spread. This just proves to me how well CW is doing what he set out to do.

Please forgive quality..old camera phone photo.

Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

Tyke wrote:Direct quote from CWL website

'The Trident series unashamedly takes its design cues from the iconic 1954 Rolex GMT Master'.

Yes they have tweaked the design to avoid it being a direct copy, but that's just about the same level of tweaking they've done on the C9 to stop it being an IWC.
Here is the Rolex GMT Master:

And the C60 diver:

Of course there are similarities. But it seems to me the quote is more advertising copy to lend a certain air of prestige to the C60, than an admission of copying the design.

When it comes to the C9 I disagree. That is not the same level of tweaking.
Bjørn
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

Kip wrote:Having these side by side and comparing overall quality, looks and price It is an easy choice. I like IWC but for me it is difficult to justify the price spread. This just proves to me how well CW is doing what he set out to do.
Well, to me it is too similar to the IWC for comfort. I agree with Tyke, CW should make CW watches.
Bjørn
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

Hi Wis :wave:

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on the technicalities of these designs, but I think we both agree that it would be better for CWL's reputation to be known for its own great designs rather than borrowing other peoples ideas.

Anyone can follow, few can lead.
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

Tyke,
We agree on that important point! :thumbup:
Bjørn
Aesculapius
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Aesculapius »

Interesting. I think I was aware that it was fairly derivative of the IWC Portugese but, having never seen them side-by-side, I hadn't realised it was quite that close.

I can fully understand why CW would want to release watches with classic styling and I also suspect that the majority of casual online shoppers browsing the CWL site, perhaps looking for a man's auto, wouldn't be aware of the IWC at all, let alone any similarity to the design of the C9.

Anyone specifically looking for a genuine IWC isn't going to mistake one for the other - but someone looking for a nice, classically-styled, Swiss-made auto at a rather more affordable price than the IWC might be interested though.

On balance, I'll agree with all those above who would prefer CW to develop their own original designs, rather than blatantly derivative designs based on watches by other manufacturers, however well-executed or sensibly-priced those lines might be.
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

OK then. So how do you make a 2 reg chrono without it looking like any other manufactures 2 reg chrono from the past 50 years?
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

Surely you are not suggesting that there is only one design possible?
Bjørn