C8 pre-purchase questions

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
dave_in_gva

C8 pre-purchase questions

Post by dave_in_gva »

Hi, first time poster here.

Have been looking at a replacement for my aging and much abused Casio (sorry, but it's been great).

I've been made aware of CW watches after some research and find myself quite impressed with the C8 model - if I go for it would probably go for the C8IPK version.

I've got 2 concerns.....

One is water and general usability. I'd love to keep my habit of permamently wearing a watch - this would mean for showering, swimming and handiwork around the house. Is the 5 ATM water resistance rating sufficient for non-scuba water exposure? Re general usability - can anyone confirm if I am correct in assuming that - as the C8IPK version comes with a leather strap - the Corax coating covers the watch housing itself? I understand the Corax coating imparts scratch resistance and I'd assume that this along with the sapphire crystal would make the watch as robust as one could hope for given that I'd like to leave it on all the time.

Second issue is lume. I travel a great deal and often rely on a quick glance in the middle of the night to give me the time. I know Super Luminova coatings provide great luminescence immediately after being exposed to light but what matters to me is being able to read the time 6 hours later in the middle of the night without turning on a light. Can any owners report on this?

Thanks for any and all feedback,

Dave M
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: C8 pre-purchase questions

Post by magicman »

Hello Dave,(or can i call You Rodney: R.E. Only fools and horses) :D
I have the C8 IPK and to be honest the lack of a screw in crown,means it comes off when waters about.And i wouldn't wear it for Handywork its just too nice.The lume is ok but 6hrs later i would't rely on it.
Most on here i think, would recommend a C6 for Wear/water and good lume.
As my first expensive watch I really am protective of my CW,You may see it differently,But i think if you go for the C8 when you get it home you wont want to take it off, but you will if you think theres any chance of Damage.
Best of Luck Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

I think that magicman has just about summed it up although there are a couple of members whose C8's have survuved a run in with walls/door frames ok :D
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

village wrote:I think that magicman has just about summed it up although there are a couple of members whose C8's have survuved a run in with walls/door frames ok :D
Yep! Mine survived a whack against a door frame... but alas it lost out to something else that I have NO idea what it was - but I do now have a few scratches on my C8 IPK :(
downer

Post by downer »

I have a C8IPK and personally, I don't see it as a 'wear all the time' kind of watch.

No doubt the C8 is tough, but I wouldn't choose any automatic for 24x7 use, I'd go with a quartz...For a tough watch with great lume, take a look at Lum-Tec...
Richard
dave_in_gva

Post by dave_in_gva »

Eeesh....you guys aren't being very helpful.

You're supposed to all pitch in and say it'd be fine 24x7....

I did look at the C6 and agree it would seem to be the best model in the range for a full time watch. But I like the simplicity of the clear, uncomplicated face of the C8.

I'll take a look at Lum-Tec although I am really attracted to the CW philosophy (high quality internals, no middleman etc).

Also FWIW I live near Geneva, Switzerland so if there are any recommendations that change as a result of that I am all ears....still many of the watches for sale here are far too expensive or what I would consider overly busy.

Best,

Dave
downer

Post by downer »

dave_in_gva wrote: I'll take a look at Lum-Tec although I am really attracted to the CW philosophy (high quality internals, no middleman etc).
To be fair, I think the Lum-Tec philosophy is pretty close to CW's values. Spookily, the guy behind Lum-Tec is also a CW (Chris Wiegand) :D
Richard
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

I don't think you can go wrong with either CW or LUM-TEC to be honest. For a 24/7, I think you could get away with the C8 IPK. Ditch the standard strap, get yourself a nice black strap (there's only one I'd recommend ;)), and you have a watch you can wear around the clock.

Although, saying that, I have my C6 on today because my toddler son is being particularly brutal :)
dave_in_gva

Post by dave_in_gva »

Thanks Chris.

I'm intrigued by what the ONE strap is you'd recommend.......but even more than that why is it that changing out the strap adds to the full time wearability? Is it because the strap you'd recommend can stand up better to water and the occasional holiday dip in the ocean?

Sorry if my lack of knowledge about quality watches shines through here, but the fact is I really don't know very much. I've realised though that I like buying quality and keeping the same watch on my wrist for the next 10-20 years appeals to me so I'm quite happy to move out of the Casio/Seiko/Citizen lines and into something that I can wear knowing that it is the result of careful component choice and quality workmanship.

A final comment....I have an office job and so apart from the normal household gardening/handiwork and swimming/tennis I don't think I will be purposefully abusive of whatever watch I end up with. Still, I know myself and would really much prefer the simplicity of a lifestyle where I leave it on all the time and know it can take it.

Best,

Dave
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

Chris would be referring to his Toshi strap....i can also thoroughly recommend them.
There's nothing wrong with the C8 strap per se, but often a different strap can change the look and feel of a watch completely. I have also changed my C8 strap to a Toshi...its just better quality and looks better in my humble opinion.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
dave_in_gva

Post by dave_in_gva »

Yes, I figured the Toshi was what was being referred to....I've seen alot of good comments about them here.

But still, I would have thought it would be the housing that would have been more of a concern. Does fitting a Toshi strap to it makes it more wearable 24/7 ..... or does it just make it look/feel nicer?

Best,

Dave
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

I was indeed referring to the Toshi strap. I guess it looking/feeling nicer is subjective really. I certainly think it makes it feel more comfortable. Although you raise a point regarding working in an office. I do too, and wore my C8 to work on Friday. I found that the Toshi strap was a tad too thick to use my mouse comfortably. I'm a software developer so use the computer all day... It's a small point though! You don't have to get one though, as like village says, there's nothing really wrong with the strap that comes with it.

The watch itself should definitely be able to stand up to the tasks you have in mind for it. After all, it does have a quality movement inside it! The strap is of secondary concern really :)
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

Ahem,
The C8 should be able to cope with most anything you can do,BUT I'd recommend not wearing it whilst swimming etc.. You'd be amazed how water can force it's way in. Don't forget it's a pilot watch and most pilots don't like getting wet :D

With regard to the Toshi strap, I agree with Chris if you're a watch- handed mouse user then the Toshi strap can be a tad 'awkward', however for 'off-duty' wear it can't be beat :)

I'd also recommend the C6 or the forthcoming Lum-Tech B2,hmmmmm I can see a reservation coming :?

UPDATE: there's a B1 on TZ-UK: http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=73958

Rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
stoneyloon
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes

Post by stoneyloon »

I do like that B1!
Cheers,
Adam.

Caught the bug........
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

Seems he's reduced the B1 to £400! Although I think there's a sale on the LUM-TEC website atm and it may be cheaper? Not sure! :)