C700 bracelet adjustment

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
IndyTim

C700 bracelet adjustment

Post by IndyTim »

Hello all,
So, my wife gave me a C700 with a leather strap for Christmas and followed that up with a new bracelet for the C700 over Valentine's Day. I have viewed some YouTube videos concerning the process of removing links from the bracelet as I have never done this before. The videos all mention that the link pins should be pushed out following the direction marked by an arrow on the bracelet, the C700 bracelet seems to not have these arrows. Is there just one way to push out the pins in this bracelet? And any other tips for adjusting and replacing the bracelet on the C700? Much appreciated.
IndyTim

Re: C700 bracelet adjustment

Post by IndyTim »

JAG wrote:Plenty of threads for bracelet adjustment use the search bar top right , You will need a spring bar tool "search bar again" and also a bracelet adjustment set "search bar once again" if unsure or have never done it before a jeweller will charge a small small fee for adjusting it for you.
I have searched here and is actually how I came across one of the videos that instructed following the elusive arrow. I have a spring bar tool and I can see how that works but what I'm asking about is removing links from the bracelet. And by looking at the vidoes, I should have everything needed to adjust the bracelet as my wife also gave me a tool set from Esslinger. I'm more interested in learning to do this myself so I would prefer not going to to jeweler. Thanks though.
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

I found this very useful when I was starting.
http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/WatchSchool ... celets.htm

Just take your time and keep track of each bit and what direction it came out from.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

The C700 bracelet has a collar in the centre of the link. It is this collar that keeps the pin in place. So, you have to push one end of the pin free of the collar to remove the link. It does not matter which side you go in from, as the fitting is universal.

I found it needed a firm tap with the hammer, but slow and steady is the way to go, and be careful not to lose the collar. :)
Richard
IndyTim

Post by IndyTim »

Thanks a lot guys, very helpful info. I had a feeling that it wouldn't matter from which end I pushed the pins but wanted to make sure, I'd hate to screw up my new bracelet. The tools posted by JAG came in my Esslinger kit, so I should be good to go.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Russ-Shettle »

IndyTim wrote:Hello all,
So, my wife gave me a C700 with a leather strap for Christmas and followed that up with a new bracelet for the C700 over Valentine's Day. I have viewed some YouTube videos concerning the process of removing links from the bracelet as I have never done this before. The videos all mention that the link pins should be pushed out following the direction marked by an arrow on the bracelet, the C700 bracelet seems to not have these arrows. Is there just one way to push out the pins in this bracelet? And any other tips for adjusting and replacing the bracelet on the C700? Much appreciated.
I've adjusted many bracelets in the past but I had a Jeweler adjust this one.
Richard
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6
LE-one: yes

Post by Richard »

Is it the new bracelet with fold over deploy?

That's a nasty little bugger to adjust.
It uses a pin and collar to fixate the links.

My simple gear was not enough to push out the pin past half of the link.
I had to use brute force to separate the links, which resulted in two pins that are now unusable.

Luckily CW sent me out some spares.
CW count: 6 Seiko count: 11 Casio count: 1 Citizen count: 1 G-Shock count: 2.
Unofficial Seiko ambassador.
IanK
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by IanK »

I recently bought a C5 with gold bracelet and it needed some adjustment. Once you've removed a few pins it gets less traumatic.
CWL C5 Aviator
Breitling Aerospace
Bremont Alt1-C
Bremont Alt1-ZT/51
Omega Aqua Terra
Richard
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Richard »

IanK wrote:I recently bought a C5 with gold bracelet and it needed some adjustment. Once you've removed a few pins it gets less traumatic.
Does the C5 use a pin-collar or a simple split pen?
I'm guessing, by the pictures I've seen of it, it uses the split pens.
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

Richard wrote:
IanK wrote:I recently bought a C5 with gold bracelet and it needed some adjustment. Once you've removed a few pins it gets less traumatic.
Does the C5 use a pin-collar or a simple split pen?
I'm guessing, by the pictures I've seen of it, it uses the split pens.
Split pins.

Seiko and Omega also use the pin and collar style which is a pain.

This is the how to for Seikos
http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/WatchTools/ ... oolUse.htm
And this is the one for Omegas
http://www.mywatchmaker.net/epages/sizingbracelets.htm

I have not sized a C60 bracelet yet (waiting for my FLE) but I would think the process would be similar to one of the above.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Richard
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Richard »

The new bracelet is quite similar to the pin and collar Omega uses.
A large 'locking sleeve' in the middle link.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

JAG wrote:Watch bracelet adjustment set

Thats a quick set but i am sure you will find cheaper If this is what you need "as i have not seen the new bracelets yet"
Thanks Jag. I was wondering myself what you need to have. I didn't want to punch it with just anything and why I took mine to a jeweler.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Richard wrote:The new bracelet is quite similar to the pin and collar Omega uses.
Yes, the CW bracelets are up there with the big guys.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Russ-Shettle wrote:
Richard wrote:The new bracelet is quite similar to the pin and collar Omega uses.
Yes, the CW bracelets are up there with the big guys.
I think the new bracelet is a big step forward in quality. I would prefer screw-in links, but that's just because I am a bit ham-fisted...

The only (small) thing that needs to be improved on the bracelet is the clasp. I think it may be the divers extension, but there is an occasional 'grinding' (metal-on-metal) noise as the clasp settles when you put pressure on it by leaning your wrist on a hard surface. In fact it probably more of a 'feeling' than a 'noise' and it is a very small complaint, but still something to be improved in order to provide the true luxury watch feeling.
Richard
IndyTim

Post by IndyTim »

Russ-Shettle wrote:I've adjusted many bracelets in the past but I had a Jeweler adjust this one.
I can see why. I pushed the pin out as far as it would go with the pin punch I already had but it pushed the pin out only about 1/3 of the way out of the link. I took the oppurtunity to purchase a set of extra long pin punches and the Bergeon 6767-F which proved quite useful. Thanks for all the help.