C65 Tident Vintage Crystal defect and rattling

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Nerus

C65 Tident Vintage Crystal defect and rattling

Post by Nerus »

So I ordered C65 Trident Vintage (at first wanted black version but then went with the steel finish).

It arrived today but unfortunately the crystal appears to have a defect, right under the logo there is this speck, I do not know what it id, seems to appear gold coloured up close. Not sure whether it is a scratch or something underneath the crystal.

No worries I though, I would just get it replaced but when handling the watch I heard rattling sound. Now I had Malvern c50 COSC for 5 years now and it does not make any noise, whereas this trident vintage has an audible rattling sound as if a flimsy plastic toy :-?

Is this rattling normal for this type of watch or is it another defect? I will definitely not be able to live with this noise so if it is part of the design that I would have to return it for a full refund.

Did anybody else ever experience similar sound?

Rattling sound bite http://vocaroo.com/i/s1YyaVn6sAyO
Nerus

Re: C65 Tident Vintage Crystal defect and rattling

Post by Nerus »

Forgot to include the picture:

fishman
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by fishman »

The speck aside that's a nice looking watch. How does it look in person and on your wrist?
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

No question, send it back.
Can't believe that mark was missed by quality control.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

If you've got a speck under the crystal, then return it for a replacement. Then you'll be able to tell if the rattle issue has been fixed too. You can order a free returns pack from the CWL website.

It does look a cracking watch though! :thumbup:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Nerus

Post by Nerus »

The watch looks fantastic in person, exactly what I was looking for as an everyday casual watch as my malvern looks a bit to dressy at times.

I ordered it on Monday and they shipped it on Friday so it seems there is large volume of orders and things are presumably quite hectic over at CWL but I am quite surprised as well that quality control did not notice the speck.

However I am more concerned with the rattling noise, I found some posts on this forum of people with similar problem.

I like the watch so I think I will go ahead with replacement and then if the replacement is also making this rattling sound then I will opt for refund. Will report back how it goes.
statto
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 11

Post by statto »

That is a frustrating experience but at least the returns & replacement process is straightforward and at no cost to you. Fingers crossed that the next one is trouble free.
Cheers

Paul
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

IMHO the 'rattle' sounds only like normal rotor noise. It sounds as if the watch is being vigourously shaken and that is the noise that the rotor winding mechanism makes- it doesn't sound as if the rotor is impacting the caseback. It's hard to gauge without seeing what's being done to the watch to create the noise, but I don't think the noise is concern for alarm. In normal use (really best not to shake the watch to within an inch of its life!), I expect there's barely any noise?

The debris speck should have been spotted and is due cause for return.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Nerus

Post by Nerus »

richtel wrote:IMHO the 'rattle' sounds only like normal rotor noise. It sounds as if the watch is being vigourously shaken and that is the noise that the rotor winding mechanism makes- it doesn't sound as if the rotor is impacting the caseback. It's hard to gauge without seeing what's being done to the watch to create the noise, but I don't think the noise is concern for alarm. In normal use (really best not to shake the watch to within an inch of its life!), I expect there's barely any noise?

The debris speck should have been spotted and is due cause for return.
No I do not think I am shacking it violently, a light shuffle.

The rotor sound on trident is significantly more audible than my c50 cosc with ETA 2836-2 or Selitta SW220-1 movement (which also makes me quite unhappy). But it is the sound the watch makes when it is moving (rattling sound). Perhaps it is just the case that trident makes this much noise and I am simply used to c50 cosc movement. Will have to find out when I get a replacement but I am going away for a holiday in 2 days so wont get to test the replacement until next month #-o
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by footycrazy »

Sounds like an SW200-1 rotor to me.
Graham
j0hnV

Post by j0hnV »

This is definitely the rotor. I have the same watch and if you put your ear close to the case you can hear it revolving. Rotor noise is not uncommon so probably not a fault. The debris speck though is a big no no.
Love the watch BTW - CW have really upped the finishing on the case.

I've just joined the forum and this is my first post so high everyone! :wave:
fishman
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by fishman »

Nerus wrote:The watch looks fantastic in person, exactly what I was looking for as an everyday casual watch as my malvern looks a bit to dressy at times.

I ordered it on Monday and they shipped it on Friday so it seems there is large volume of orders and things are presumably quite hectic over at CWL but I am quite surprised as well that quality control did not notice the speck.

However I am more concerned with the rattling noise, I found some posts on this forum of people with similar problem.

I like the watch so I think I will go ahead with replacement and then if the replacement is also making this rattling sound then I will opt for refund. Will report back how it goes.
I've been looking at that watch a lot, but at 38mm am concerned that it's just a bit too small for a 7-7.125 wrist. What's your wrist size please?
Nerus

Post by Nerus »

fishman wrote: I've been looking at that watch a lot, but at 38mm am concerned that it's just a bit too small for a 7-7.125 wrist. What's your wrist size please?
My wrist is 6.75 inches hence I usually go for smaller watches, this one was smaller than I thought it would be but looks just fine, although maybe a tad too small (I cant take a pic as I already sent it off back to CW).

There is a video review of c65 trident vintage model from 1 year ago by a guy who I believe has 7inch wrist, so you can have a look and roughly imagine how it would look on you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkD929H3fi0&t=39s
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

fishman wrote:I've been looking at that watch a lot, but at 38mm am concerned that it's just a bit too small for a 7-7.125 wrist. What's your wrist size please?
38mm will be fine for a 7-7.125" wrist. Mine is 7.5" and my 37mm Grand Seiko looks great on it. And I'm (hopefully) about to buy a 36mm watch too, which I know will be fine too.

So worry not. :)
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Nerus

Post by Nerus »

Sent off the watch on Wednesday and CW sent off the replacement on the same day so that it arrived today before I left for the holiday.

Great customer service!

So the replacement watch crystal is fine and more importantly the rattling sound is gone, so I think the first watch did have something slightly loose in the movement.

Movement is not as silent as my C50 COSC but still acceptable for me.

Very happy with the watch.

Here is how it looks on ~6.75inch wrist, the strap is still stiff and needs time to adjust to my wrist shape.