C65 GMT, GMT hand sloppy

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
johncolescarr
Senior
Senior

C65 GMT, GMT hand sloppy

Post by johncolescarr »

Hi,

I’ve just picked myself up a C65 GMT and I totally adore it, however there seems to be sloppiness in the GMT hand.

Example, if I pull out the crown and set the time to say 20:00, but I move the minute hand quickly past the 12 o clock position, and then slowly back to 12 o clock, the gmt hand is about 5 mins misaligned to the right. If I do the opposite, it’s aligned 5 mins to the left. If I slowly adjust the time, I can get the GMT hand exactly aligned.

Is this something I should worry about or is this normal for the movement? I’ve had C60 GMT mk2 and mk3 and I can’t recall this behaviour.

Also, when I move the GMT hand with the crown in the first position, the hour hand moves quite a bit when the GMT hand jumps forward, but the hands stay aligned. Again any concerns? I bought on the bay so if there’s an issue I can return it but I really like the watch and so am reluctant to if it’s just a characteristic

Thanks

John
Diver C60 Trident 600 mk2 43mm
Driver C60 Trident 300 chronograph
Flyer Hmm
rkovars
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: C65 GMT, GMT hand sloppy

Post by rkovars »

There can be some slop in the SW330. The newer SW330-1 (used in the Sealnader) is supposed to address this. At the end of this thread are some instructions that seem to help in most cases.
Current CW = C65 Trident Vintage GMT, C65 Dartmouth, C60 Trident Ombré COSC LE, C65 Super Compressor

In Review:

2 More CW's on the short list! (This is pretty much a lie - I have at least 17 CW Tabs open at the moment!)
thomcat00
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 5

Post by thomcat00 »

While I’ve not had this problem with any of my CW GMT watches, I have had considerable sloppiness in another Selitta 330 powered watch. It’s bad enough that it is going back for service as my local jeweler wouldn’t fix it (still under warranty). So, I have to await the shipping round trip and the time on the repair bench. I hope the suggestions referenced in rkovars’ reply help.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
johncolescarr
Senior
Senior

Post by johncolescarr »

Thanks for the replies. The vintage of this particular watch is 2018 so may have the ETA 2892-2 or the Sellita SW330.

I let the watch run for 24h and the GMT hand slipped a bit. I’ve reset the watch with perfect alignment and will see if it slips again. It’s still in warranty so if there’s an issue I’ll try reaching out to CW
Flyer Hmm
johncolescarr
Senior
Senior

Post by johncolescarr »

Just a follow up to complete this thread. I’ve checked the manual that came with the watch and it says it’s an ETA 2892-2.

I ran the watch and the power reserve was going strong even after 43hrs in the watch box, plus it’s running at +3spd, so the movement seems to be good otherwise.

I reset the GMT hand so it aligns correctly and it’s tracking okay so seems the issue is a non-issue.

Loving the watch, wish it had the mk2 bracelet with quick release pins and half links but I’m still smitten. Happy C65 owner here, it’s my first 41mm C65 and it’s like a second skin the way it contours to my 7 inch wrist, totally timeless classic.
Flyer Hmm
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 21

Post by MiniMpi »

Good to ear all is well with it.
The C65 GMT is a gorgeous watch, I love my Pepsi version.