C65 Chrono Exhibition Caseback

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Lu..
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

C65 Chrono Exhibition Caseback

Post by Lu.. »

Got a C65.....would like to spruce it up by swapping the solid case back with an exhibition one......I see the C65 Chrono ref has one......so have 2 questions....

1) would it fit in a regular C65 reference?
2) if so, can you order this caseback from CW?

https://www.christopherward.com/int/lov ... B0-RB.html

Ω Moonwatch 3861 Sapphire ... Bulova "Mickey Mouse" ... C.Ward C65 Trident ... Movado Esperanza Museum ... Longines Model 2133
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: C65 Chrono Exhibition Caseback

Post by JasperCat »

I’d be surprised if they are compatible, as the C65 Chrono uses a different (taller?) movement, based on the Valjoux 7750.

It is however theoretically possible it could fit, so only suggestion would be to email CW and ask directly 🤞
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

This is a similar question to others hoping to buy CW bezels to create CW watches with different colour bezels to the original.

As CW do not sell parts of their watches it'd only be worth calling CW if you already own 1 of each of the watches to swap the casebacks (Even then they might not give you a definite answer). Obviously if you had both watches a caseback swap would mean that still only 1 watch would have an exhibition caseback.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

First question - I have no idea, sorry.

Second question - I should think it highly unlikely.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Stuart1
Senior
Senior

Post by Stuart1 »

I seem to remember there was a guy based in Germany that made custom exhibition case backs. If I recall he made them for Seamaster and Speedmaster (& FOIS) as well as others. There was a thread on the Omega watch forum. Not only do you need a caseback, gasket you also need a movement ring, I think it came in at about £250 ish but that was a couple of years ago.
Not sure if that helps.
Renton
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by Renton »

Here's my guess:

1) Yes, I expect the Chrono rear would fit the normal main case. But I'd be 99.99% sure the standard rear wouldn't fit the Chrono case due to the height of the 7750.
2) I've asked a few times about parts availability at CW over the years and always have a polite "no" as the answer. Policies change, so you never know, but don't get your hopes up!
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Renton wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:26 pm Here's my guess:

1) Yes, I expect the Chrono rear would fit the normal main case. But I'd be 99.99% sure the standard rear wouldn't fit the Chrono case due to the height of the 7750.
2) I've asked a few times about parts availability at CW over the years and always have a polite "no" as the answer. Policies change, so you never know, but don't get your hopes up!
I've got sixpence that says the policy of not supporting owner modification/parts replacement will not change. :thumbdown:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands