C63 v C65

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
FarmerGiles

C63 v C65

Post by FarmerGiles »

Be grateful for some advice on which is the better of these two to choose as a gift:

C63 or C65?

Recipient is late 20s, male. Not a big watch-wearer but likes fine, quality products.

Thanks
These users thanked the author FarmerGiles for the post:
mikeua85
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 38
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: C63 v C65

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

How long is a piece of string?

Which is better? They're both good and, naturally, it depends on which variant of each model you're thinking of; each will have their fans.

If it's C63, there are 15 models listed in the CWArchive from a crown-less, 41mm carbon, Military C65 Colchester to the dressier, everyday 36mm Sealander.

If the C65 tickles your fancy, there are 37 models listed with the Aquitaine, Dune and Military Series.

Plenty to choose from then. :-k :-k

Are there any further guidelines? i.e. Is the recipient working or student? Outdoors / Sporty type? etc.

Happy hunting,

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 2):
FarmerGilestikkathree
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

Think this boils down entirely to aesthetics. The C65 series spans both 3 hander sports watches and dive style and GMT’s. The product line is decidedly retro inspired, something g I have grown to love!

The C63 is a thoroughly modern product line, very sharp lines, very shiny (lacquer dials etc) - note I have not owned a C63 but have had many versions of the C60 mk3’s that share some of the parts.

If he likes vintage/retro style I’d go for the C65 but more likely if this is not his thing (being 20) he will probably prefer the C63.

Final piece of advice; if he’s not a big watch fan he may not appreciate the gift as much as a watch fan would and worse still, he may much prefer an Apple Watch or similar 😱
These users thanked the author johncolescarr for the post (total 2):
FarmerGilestikkathree
Dress C65 Trident vintage mk II
Dive C65 Trident vintage mk II
Fly C65 Trident vintage mk II
FarmerGiles

Post by FarmerGiles »

Yes. Thanks. I have been advised to try numerous brands but have always admired Christopher ward. A budget of approx £700 stands.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

At under £700 there is an assortment of C63's and also the C60 Pro 300 diver, and the new C65 Dune.

Personally, I think the C60 Pro 300 might suit a young man very well. Assorted colours, and a choice of 3 sizes, 38mm, 40mm, 42mm, with a dive bezel.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by ajax87 »

^^^ I'd agree with that. Though if you're choosing just between a C63 and a C65, for someone who isn't a watch fanatic like us, a standard C63 auto in black or white would probably be the best option. It'll go with anything, any time. Perfect especially if this will likely be his only watch.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C60 Sapphire, Abyss|C65 SC, 316L LE|C63 Auto 36 & 39, GMT|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster racing|Tissot|Timex|RZE
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

ajax87 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:40 pm ^^^ I'd agree with that. Though if you're choosing just between a C63 and a C65, for someone who isn't a watch fanatic like us, a standard C63 auto in black or white would probably be the best option. It'll go with anything, any time. Perfect especially if this will likely be his only watch.
Yep. The default choice I think. In the same 'space' as say the Seiko SARB (of yore, now) or the perennial Rolex OP. These watches have been very satisfying for people it seems forever. They do it all. Experienced watch folks around here are loving them.
On the other hand if we are talking a young man who 'gets it' with the retro-cool thing - vinyl records, that sort of thing, the Dune is the one.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by ajax87 »

Noush wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:22 pm On the other hand if we are talking a young man who 'gets it' with the retro-cool thing - vinyl records, that sort of thing, the Dune is the one.
Yep, good point. The receiver's personality will make a huge difference. There was a recent similar thread where the person searching for watch suggestions for someone else noted that the receiver put a lot of stock into the brand and recognizability, meaning Tag and Breitling were the frontrunners.

Whichever is chosen, the 60/60 guarantee will allow a change to be made if the receiver isn't crazy about it!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C60 Sapphire, Abyss|C65 SC, 316L LE|C63 Auto 36 & 39, GMT|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster racing|Tissot|Timex|RZE
IDB123
CW-watches: 2

Post by IDB123 »

Tough decision. We bought my 19 year old son, a Google smartwatch for his birthday recently. It went straight back… He didn’t need a watch apparently, he has a phone. The lesson I took away (again) was look for clues and if in doubt ask. Footnote… He’s a fan of Interstellar and allegedly likes the Hamilton Murph, sigh.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 5

Post by missF »

If you know the recipient well enough that you would choose a pair of shoes and know that he’d love to wear them every day then you may be in with a chance here. But I think that watches are so personal that you should offer a choice of watches from both camps and ask the recipient to choose. If he’s not much into watches you may well find out at that point that he really doesn’t want one. Nothing is lost at that point.

I say this as someone who was given a watch for my 21st by someone who chose it and really wanted me to like it. I didn’t and it was never worn. And I have always been a watch lover...

Be certain that the recipient wants a watch, and it’s not just that you want to give him a watch :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 2):
FarmerGilesGar787
iain
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

ajax87 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:25 pm …..There was a recent similar thread where the person searching for watch suggestions for someone else noted that the receiver put a lot of stock into the brand and recognizability, meaning Tag and Breitling were the frontrunners.

That was my thread and how it eventually played out was quite interesting, especially considering the replies you’re getting to this thread.

Initially I was asked by my friends wife to find him a watch for his 50th, the idea being all his friends and family contributed to his watch. After a lot of going back and forth with ideas we didn’t agree on what we felt he wanted.

So we reached a decision to instead of buying a watch, we would present him with a toy watch and a promise to take him shopping to buy what he actually wanted, not what we thought he wanted.

However it turns out he didn’t actually want a watch and was happy to continue to wear his £10 fake. So instead of adding to his watch fund, I bought him a return trip on the Fort William to Mallaig steam train.

So I’d agree with what others are saying. If in doubt, ask.
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 2):
FarmerGilesajax87
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
exHowfener
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Final piece of advice; if he’s not a big watch fan he may not appreciate the gift as much as a watch fan would and worse still, he may much prefer an Apple Watch or similar
I was thinking along the same lines - a watch person might like a mechanical watch as a present, someone who isn't, not so much. He may prefer quartz or solar from a brand he is aware of. Or (as in the above post) a nice experience and not a watch at all.

CW do make good value watches, but if the recipient doesn't value the watch then both giver and recipient are in for a disappointment.
These users thanked the author exHowfener for the post:
FarmerGiles
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
FarmerGiles

Post by FarmerGiles »

Thank you for the advice. I am likely to go for a Farer, or Marloe due to cost.
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by biggus_richus »

FarmerGiles wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:19 pm Thank you for the advice. I am likely to go for a Farer, or Marloe due to cost.
Interesting decision; entirely understandable that you might go for Marloe from a cost perspective, but even on a bracelet the C63 is cheaper than just about any Farer.
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Omega | Oris | Pinion | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I am not marketing for Christopher Ward, but the main reason for higher prices is the SWISS MADE tag. CW watches are more likely comparable to other Swiss made brands such as Certina, Glycine, Tissot, Longines, Raymond Weil, Oris. The first two are probably the least expensive Swiss made brands, and the others are more well known Swiss brands selling through high street jewellers (ADs). There's no doubt that having the Swiss Made tag adds to the costs of running a watch company, and therefore the watches they sell are going to be a bit more expensive. Personally, I prefer to buy Swiss made.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
FarmerGiles