C63 sealander elite question

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
DavidATL

C63 sealander elite question

Post by DavidATL »

I recently purchased the C63 selander elite and believe I’m having a problem with the crown winding. Is it unusual for the crown to become tight and difficult to wind- as though the spring is fully wound?

I also own the trident pro 300 and it winds very easily in comparison. Is there some difference in the movements that makes them behave so differently? The date and time change on the C63 work very well.

Appreciate any thoughts as I’m considering returning the watch for service over it but don’t want to waste anyone’s time if it’s normal. Haven’t received a response from CW customer service.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: C63 sealander elite question

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Having owned a C63 Elite I can speak from experience and it's a tricky one.

Fundamentally, the crown is small and thin and thus, compared to your C60 Trident Pro 300 with a 'normal' size crown, the Elite appears to need more effort to wind it as you have less to grip on and need to grip tighter to be able to turn the crown (whether you are winding or adjusting the hands on it).

I never really hand wind an (any) automatic movement watch, preferring to put it on my wrist and let it get going of its own accord, which usually only takes 10 - 20 minutes, then set the time and date. This was even more relevant with the C63 Elite.

PS> You don't specifically say, but did you buy your watch pre-owner or from CW?

Hope this helps.

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
tikkathree
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
maclink
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by maclink »

I have a one these and do find the winding requires some effort with my experience mirroring that of @Bahnstormer_vRS. I find the SW300 movements a lot easier to wind than the SW200’s and think the resistance felt with the thinner crown wheel to be about as expected. I tend to wind until the movement starts and not wind further. This amounts to about 10 turns of the crown.
These users thanked the author maclink for the post (total 2):
Bahnstormer_vRStikkathree
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I've got the C63 elite and have found the same. Crown winding definitely takes more effort than my other SW200 watches, which I always put down to the very little amount of surface area available on the crown. I've had mine for nearly a year and haven't worried about it, since it has always run well within COSC spec.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
DavidATL

Post by DavidATL »

Thanks for the feedback- very appreciated! I bought both the c63 elite and the trident 300 directly from CW at the same time. Couldn’t be happier with my watches other than this concern.

This is different than the size of the crown. I feel what you guys are saying with the first 5-8 turns. Different than a full size crown but what I would expect given the size and shape of the crown.

It’s after that where my concern lies- after say 8 turns, the crown becomes difficult to turn- to the point where I’m afraid it will break if I turn it more. Is it possible to overwind the watch? I’m used to watches where if you overwind a clutch slips.

I am currently swapping this and the trident watch as daily wears that come off frequently throughout the day so I would like to fully wind it given its power reserve and my usage style.

CW reached out and has offered me to return the watch for service. I think I will take them up on it for the peace of mind (and in my gut I think something is wrong). Will let you know if it was actually an issue or if I’m off base.

Again- I am super happy with both watches - can’t believe the fit and finish value to me for the price.
These users thanked the author DavidATL for the post (total 2):
Bahnstormer_vRSajax87
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

DavidATL wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:43 pm
It’s after that where my concern lies- after say 8 turns, the crown becomes difficult to turn- to the point where I’m afraid it will break if I turn it more. Is it possible to overwind the watch? I’m used to watches where if you overwind a clutch slips.
This does somewhat match with my experience, getting noticeably more difficult after maybe 10 turns. But I wouldn't say it feels like it could break if I continue, and I do continue, usually about 30 winds from a stop (though it doesn't stop often as I mostly keep it on a winder). If CW is offering a free service, and you don't mind being away from it for a couple months, like you said that would offer some peace of mind!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Elizabeth_gabbard

Post by Elizabeth_gabbard »

It's not uncommon for watch crowns to vary in their winding feel and resistance, even within the same brand. However, if you're experiencing a significant difference between the winding mechanism of your C63 Selander Elite and your Trident Pro 300, it could indicate a potential issue that might require servicing. Since you haven't received a response from CW customer service, you might want to try reaching out to them again or consider contacting a reputable watchmaker or jeweler who specializes in watch servicing.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Elizabeth_gabbard wrote: . . . . . you might want to try reaching out to them again or consider contacting a reputable watchmaker or jeweler who specializes in watch servicing.
Which will immediately invalidate the warranty with CW. :-k :-k

Guy

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
WerTicus

Post by WerTicus »

If it is keeping time well and it is an automatic winding watch... not sure why you would even use the hand winding option.

either wear it and it will keep time or don't wear it and just let it run flat until you actually want to wear it.
maclink
Senior
Senior

Post by maclink »

This is what I’ve been doing with mine. Agitate a bit to get going, set it and wear.
Moz
Senior
Senior

Post by Moz »

I have one and bought it used and enquired about getting it serviced but having read the comments i think i will just put up with it
downer

Post by downer »

I have one of these for my Elite:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09YV346MV

It takes any stress/discomfort out of winding/setting this watch.
Richard