Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Chigs
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 6

C60 Trident GMT Question

Post by Chigs »

Hi all,

Question for the other GMT owners out there. Just picked up the 42MM GMT in the sale and I have noticed what appears to be a slight misalignment of the Bezel at the 3 O' Clock position. Just wondering if this is peculiar to my watch or whether it is common across the series? Only out by very little so maybe I am just looking at it wrong? Attached a couple of pics but not sure if it comes through.

Cheers

C
Collection
Me:
C7
C1
C600IPB (MIA :()
C600IPY
C5
C60

Her:
R7SKKR
Matisse
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: C60 Trident GMT Question

Post by downer »

Looks a tiny bit out at 12, and therefore, also at 3. Is there any play in the bezel?

If CW had used a regular GMT bezel (numbers all the way around instead of the 0-15 minute markers), you'd never have noticed! :D
Richard
Arbor22
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Arbor22 »

I have the same watch. Yes its slightly out at the 3 position, if you rotate the bezel one click anti clockwise it lines up at 3 but then slightly out at 12 ( tiny ). Almost as if the correct position lies between the two clicks. As with the 12 oclock batons this is minor for me. I am new to the watch world and have never looked at a watch so closely, perhaps this is the norm for experts but ordinarily I don't think I would have noticed.
Still lovin the watch but can understand if others find these things annoying.
Hope this helps.
Chigs
Junior
Junior

Post by Chigs »

downer wrote: If CW had used a regular GMT bezel (numbers all the way around instead of the 0-15 minute markers), you'd never have noticed! :D

Ha ha - That's a good point Richard. But I am not going to open up that debate again - esp after chipping into the L Word War on another thread.

There is a little play in the Bezel, I can move it so everything aligns but it drops back to this position once I let go. Looking in the Gallery, Arbor22's model also appears to have this so looks like its not just my piece :(
Collection
Me:
C7
C1
C600IPY
C5
C60

Her:
R7SKKR
Matisse
Renton
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by Renton »

My black/black GMT 43 lines up perfectly at 12 and 3.
My green/white GMT 43 (same as yours) line up the same as yours: perfect at 12, but a bit forward at 3.
I'm not losing any sleep over it.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Looks OK in the top picture, but very slightly 'off', along with the pip @ 12 in the second picture. :problem:

Most bezels have a marginal amount of 'play'. Perhaps with use and wear it will settle down to being in the correct position?

Just my two pence worth :wave:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

My MKI had the problem of feeling like the right point was between two clicks so i sent it back and they fixed it F.O.C for me.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
oversleep
Junior
Junior

Post by oversleep »

I having the similar version of C60 GMT. Mine seem to alight perfectly at 3 o clock. However, this happen if only I look at watch straight; the line of eye sight must be 90 degree to the surface of the crystal. If only the watch is tilled slightly, there will be crystal illusion and the imperfection of alignment.

I would ask if you turn the bezel triangle at 3 , 6 and 9 and check again.
reggie747
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by reggie747 »

Yes, slightly off it would appear but I'd be more concerned about the indices at 12 on the dial myself :shock:
Fluffy cuddly kittens and little puppy dogs.......????
Magnus
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Magnus »

Chigs wrote:Hi all,

Question for the other GMT owners out there. Just picked up the 42MM GMT in the sale and I have noticed what appears to be a slight misalignment of the Bezel at the 3 O' Clock position. Just wondering if this is peculiar to my watch or whether it is common across the series? Only out by very little so maybe I am just looking at it wrong? Attached a couple of pics but not sure if it comes through.

Cheers

C
Not wanting to add to your woes but it appears the right hand side baton at 12 is slightly lower than the left hand side baton.

This seems to be quite common in the mkIIs
2015 FLE, 2013 FLE, C60 Black, C11 Makaira Pro 500 Blue, C8 Pilot Mk II, , C7 Rapide MK I, C4 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.
Corum Admirals Cup
Stowa 1938 Chronograph
Vintage Certina
Tag Heuer F1
Chigs
Junior
Junior

Post by Chigs »

The indices at 12 aren't so bad. Actually look lined up unless I really squint and/or magnify the pic.

The Bezel misalignment however I picked up just looking at the watch and that is something that I am worried will niggle away at me. Going to have a chat with Wera and will see what options are.

C
Collection
Me:
C7
C1
C600IPY
C5
C60

Her:
R7SKKR
Matisse
Arbor22
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Arbor22 »

I would be interested in the outcome of that, don't think I will return as I don't want to wait for its return now that i have it
droshi

Post by droshi »

I received a black/blue 42mm trident from the 50% off sale, it also has the same problem of a slight misalignment in the bezel. Compared to my previous new blue/blue trident it's a fairly large difference since the blue/blue is perfectly aligned.

The 50% off came with a too-small-for-me resized bracelet and no extra links, makes me think it should have been called nearly new (or used). I tried to call, but apparently only London can handle the issue and were closed so I shot them an email. I'm sure the problem will be handled, but was wondering was I correct in thinking that the 30% off NN watches were different and the 50% off should have been new? That was my impression based on the site, and figured they were at a deeper discount due to being discontinued or something.

But I can see how maybe the 50% off watches could also be NN, I just didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

Also, I assume the re-align procedure is too difficult with the ceramic bezel to attempt myself? I don't have a special Omega bezel puller, but if it's as simple as this it looked tempting to try:
http://www.vikbobil.se/bezel.html

Since I also have the black/blue I also thought if they could just send me a new bezel to replace (if it was easy) it would be nice to not have to ship the watch off.

I can imagine they must be busy after the crazy season, so I'll give them some time to get back to me. Will report back.
Espresso Forge - A manual espresso press built for ruggedness and travel
ndabunka
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 3
LE-foura: yes

Post by ndabunka »

droshi wrote:I received a black/blue 42mm trident from the 50% off sale, it also has the same problem of a slight misalignment in the bezel. Compared to my previous new blue/blue trident it's a fairly large difference since the blue/blue is perfectly aligned.

The 50% off came with a too-small-for-me resized bracelet and no extra links, makes me think it should have been called nearly new (or used). I tried to call, but apparently only London can handle the issue and were closed so I shot them an email. I'm sure the problem will be handled, but was wondering was I correct in thinking that the 30% off NN watches were different and the 50% off should have been new? That was my impression based on the site, and figured they were at a deeper discount due to being discontinued or something.

But I can see how maybe the 50% off watches could also be NN, I just didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

Also, I assume the re-align procedure is too difficult with the ceramic bezel to attempt myself? I don't have a special Omega bezel puller, but if it's as simple as this it looked tempting to try:
http://www.vikbobil.se/bezel.html

Since I also have the black/blue I also thought if they could just send me a new bezel to replace (if it was easy) it would be nice to not have to ship the watch off.

I can imagine they must be busy after the crazy season, so I'll give them some time to get back to me. Will report back.
The Bezel is not a "self" service-able item otherwise hundreds of CW Forum guys (it seems) would be requesting alternate color scheme's for "replacement" LOL. I was also expecting that the 50% off models were either over-stocks and/or discontinued but all would be NEW rather than NN but past experience has shown that the NN's are (generally) pretty darned close to NEW as can be. Even so, all come with warranty so if something is off, CW will service it regardless.
The 3 C's of life: choices, chances, change. You have to make a choice to take a chance or your life will never change!
If you don't make a choice, the choice makes you...
droshi

Post by droshi »

ndabunka wrote: The Bezel is not a "self" service-able item otherwise hundreds of CW Forum guys (it seems) would be requesting alternate color scheme's for "replacement" LOL. I was also expecting that the 50% off models were either over-stocks and/or discontinued but all would be NEW rather than NN but past experience has shown that the NN's are (generally) pretty darned close to NEW as can be. Even so, all come with warranty so if something is off, CW will service it regardless.
Thanks for the info. At the 50% off price I really don't mind if it was a NN watch, it looks in good shape other than the bezel. If the bezel was aligned I would have just asked for a couple extra links and been happy. I'm just a bit disappointed that I have to send it back already!

Anyway, I have read that Tudors, Omega and Rolex all have this issue with bezels...it seems funny to me, and I know the argument that it shouldn't affect the timing function...but at this level I feel it should be perfect (and especially at the Rolex level!). If Seiko can do it on a $100 watch...

Maybe they just need a pin and hole for the bezel insert to snap into the bezel with? It seems like something so obvious, but why rely on the eyesight and difficulty of manual alignment when a machined groove or pin could help out? To me, relying too much on skilled labor will always have this kind of issue, I'm sure assembling and testing a watch is already complex enough...if it was me I'd go crazy with something like this after a couple times on an assembly line.

I'd still love if the bezel was user serviceable, especially more for cleaning. Right now the clicks are tight and precise and I love the bezel action, so great job there, I just hope it doesn't loosen up too much over time without being able to disassemble the bezel.
Espresso Forge - A manual espresso press built for ruggedness and travel